Maruti Suzuki Swift 2012 Brakes Issue

Thread Starter #1
Hello Friends/Motorists ,

I own a Maruti Suzuki Swift VDI March 2012 . Yesterday I was comming back home From a Visit to temple ( 30 KMS From my place ) and was Driving Fast
as i needed to be back to home before 12:00 AM , a Tempo in Front of me hit breakes Hard and as i was in speed to Compete it i needed to hit harder,

Roads were Wet ( Monsoons ) and my car was goin 80kmph , i hit the breaks
and noticed my car was not slowing down but it was Drifting with the speeds.

I knew the concept of ABS and so i releasd the breakes a lil and again hit the break then left a lil and hit the breakes and turned to left and overtaked the Tempo

PS : While hitting the breakes i did try to turn but the car refused to and was heading towards the Tempo . there i clicked th Abs Tech in my Legs and Saved my Car from an accident .

My question is that is it the tyres or the breakes that have caused this to happen ??

Kindly Revert with your views on this .
And also Assist on what can be done regarding the same ..

Regards
Jatin

Re: Swift 2012 Brakes Issue

hi jatin you are very lucky to think and act quickly to apply the abs technique. yes the car refuses to steer accurately when brakes are applied hard.

Re: Swift 2012 Brakes Issue

IF it is swift ,the car is too light and wheels are too thin for any "above ordinary" performance.
nevertheless car was peppy and fun to drive. but 80 kmph is too fast for the case. recently I was driving swift and it gave me alarm bells ringing lot of times while braking ,it was scary sometimes.
ABS and airbags proves beneficial only when it meets certain required conditions which I have seen manufacturers are compromising nowadays.
Please do keep in mind that manufacturers quote specification with business in mind .

people have complains about the new siwft without ABS, the brakes are not effective. you can try to google and get to see this issue being discussed.

As Jayadev mentioned , problem lies in the overspeed. Those cars are not made for those conditions and the braking as well.

According to Indian Roads , tyres given to you by the company is to make sure you get the correct stated mileage and they aren't meant for speeding and braking at adverse conditions.

However solutions is drive slowly or upgrade the wheels to wider ones if you have a heavy foot

As Jayadev mentioned , problem lies in the overspeed. Those cars are not made for those conditions and the braking as well.

According to Indian Roads , tyres given to you by the company is to make sure you get the correct stated mileage and they aren't meant for speeding and braking at adverse conditions.

However solutions is drive slowly or upgrade the wheels to wider ones if you have a heavy foot
pls correct me if i am wrong, i dont think 80 is over speedin. If you say 100/120 + i agree its too fast for such cars. even if at the speed of 80 you dont find the braking effective its not good. I am sure many of us are driving atleast 80km. its actually not possible to drive at 60km all the time apart from city.

pls correct me if i am wrong, i dont think 80 is over speedin. If you say 100/120 + i agree its too fast for such cars. even if at the speed of 80 you dont find the braking effective its not good. I am sure many of us are driving atleast 80km. its actually not possible to drive at 60km all the time apart from city.
80 km in rain = 120 km in normal weather.

Up here when its raining ( in Australia) , they say slow down by 10kms from normal speed because of many reasons, visibility , and grip on the road.

I've driven upto 200 kmph and braked in my skyline , comes to stop in few seconds .I am talking about a performance car.

IF I was doing that in your car would take me double the time to stop it , thats how they are built

80 km in rain = 120 km in normal weather.

Up here when its raining ( in Australia) , they say slow down by 10kms from normal speed because of many reasons, visibility , and grip on the road.

I've driven upto 200 kmph and braked in my skyline , comes to stop in few seconds .I am talking about a performance car.

IF I was doing that in your car would take me double the time to stop it , thats how they are built
totally agree to what you have mentioned, but in jatins case i guess the car did not slow down due to which he had to slam the brakes harder.

Thread Starter #10
I think the breakes are fine as the car was moving ahead but the wheels were locked so
i think its the tyres that needs to be replaced right ??

kindly correct me if i am wrong , and also tell me if shall i change the tyres or shall i first raise the issue with the car company ?

Rgds
Jatin

I think you need to change the tyres as well, I'm using 195/60 michilin 14 ''
Its really gives you good grip and comfort.

Thanks,
Satish

Thread Starter #14
If you feel the wheels being locked means clearly the ABS unit didn't work ?
Hi ,

There is no ABS in Swift VDI ( The one i have ) i somehow managed to save myself from collision by using the ABs Technique ..

however i have raised this issue with Sr.Service manager Gurgaon Maruti Suzuki
and they have reverted to me for an Vehicle inspection tomorrow ( Sunday ) will update all you guys with the results .

And Thanks For all your support - everybody ..

Regards
Jatin

Top Bottom