Maruti Suzuki Ritz Ownership Review

That is the only reason i don like Maruti much! None of the plastics feel like its built to last long!

And what 12.5k for just lever??!! Its shocking!!

Thread Starter #32
Oh, till now I was hearing only Fiat cars lever breaks (Mine has not broken BTW[clap]). Even I was thinking Maruti's new generation cars will have much better fittings. Sad but I am more surprised with the price of seat height adjust lever. At this price full assembly comes for Fiat. Lever should not cost more than couple of hundred bucks.
That is the only reason i don like Maruti much! None of the plastics feel like its built to last long!

And what 12.5k for just lever??!! Its shocking!!
even they are changing the full assembly of the seat height adjust.

the plastic lever is intact but its metal part inside has completely sheared off from from the metal assembly of the seat base! [frustration]

Thats the reason i am shocked!

the boot lever costs just Rs. 350/-

late wishes here but congos on the Ritz. it looks good. and the boot lever and seat height adjust lever coming out signals that you may see many other parts in your hands soon! Hope it doesnt though!

This is one reason why I hate Maruti.

Sorry if I have spoiled the sentimental fans of Maruti.

They have to improve a lot with respect to quality

Thread Starter #35
Frankly, all this has damped by feelings for the Ritz but i still love that space, that tall boy seating (though surprisingly visibility is not as good as my scorpio) & that rev happy engine.

For fun sake, i am comparing the Ritz to my scorpio & innova (No "its not fair" comments please!) -

Looks - of course the scorpio since i am a SUV lover. second comes the Ritz as it looks good atleast from some angles!

Space - everybody knows that the innova is so spacious that even a 6+ footer like me feels its excess space. surprisingly, the ritz comes second (considering front seats only). yes, the RITZ is so spacious that i have to take the front seat a bit forward to be comfortable. in all other cars i have driven, the driver's seat is always pushed fully to the back, except the Ritz!

Engine - You all know my answer! Scorpio followed by Ritz followed by the innova.

Comfort - Scorpio followed by the innova followed by the ritz. since scorpio's seats are larger & its has a soft usable armrest, i feel more comfortable in it. the ritz is but obvious basic.

Ride quality - surprisingly, i like the scorpio more at slow speeds & the innova more at high speeds. the Ritz slots in between, it's tiny tyres are the culprit, wont blame the car!

AC - the innova has the best AC & the most powerful vents. but the large windscreen means the front passengers are exposed to the sun! the other two have an equally powerful AC but the scorpio's small glass gives it an advantage. the Ritz is pretty good too but no rear AC vents & front vents are two small & flow of air is less too. so its a tie between scorpio & innova.

Utility - no comparo here! innova followed by scorpio followed by ritz.

Build quality - I associate build quality with general toughness & robustness of the body. so i rank the scorpio the highest followed by the Ritz (even though it has a broken boot lever & height adjust lever) & innova comes the last.

STOCK
ICE - Innova has the best stock ICE. its crisp & neat. the scorpio's & Ritz's ICE is crappy but scorpio's stock HU supports bluetooth, USB & Aux while the Ritz has only Aux. so its the innova, then scorpio, then Ritz.

Overall - Its but obvious, I (still) LIKE the scorpio the most followed by the Ritz & innova comes the last.

The scorpio & the Ritz has a driver friendly & fun factor to it, but the innova, though extremely reliable & a quality car, is too boring & behaves like a typical family van or a taxi!

Last edited:
Ha ha good comparison but not fair!:tongue:

I completely agree to your last line![cheers]

And if you had compared the maintenance costs Maruti would have topped followed by your Scorpio and then the Innova!

Thread Starter #37
And if you had compared the maintenance costs Maruti would have topped followed by your Scorpio and then the Innova!
Going by the rate at which things are breaking & the cost of the parts, i think Maruti would be the last in maintainence costs too!

Its been a week that we ordered for the broken seat height adjust lever & boot release lever & we are still waiting for the parts to arrive...

Frankly, all this has damped by feelings for the Ritz but i still love that space, that tall boy seating (though surprisingly visibility is not as good as my scorpio) & that rev happy engine.

For fun sake, i am comparing the Ritz to my scorpio & innova (No "its not fair" comments please!) -

Looks - of course the scorpio since i am a SUV lover. second comes the Ritz as it looks good atleast from some angles!

Space - everybody knows that the innova is so spacious that even a 6+ footer like me feels its excess space. surprisingly, the ritz comes second (considering front seats only). yes, the RITZ is so spacious that i have to take the front seat a bit forward to be comfortable. in all other cars i have driven, the driver's seat is always pushed fully to the back, except the Ritz!

Engine - You all know my answer! Scorpio followed by Ritz followed by the innova.

Comfort - Scorpio followed by the innova followed by the ritz. since scorpio's seats are larger & its has a soft usable armrest, i feel more comfortable in it. the ritz is but obvious basic.

Ride quality - surprisingly, i like the scorpio more at slow speeds & the innova more at high speeds. the Ritz slots in between, it's tiny tyres are the culprit, wont blame the car!

AC - the innova has the best AC & the most powerful vents. but the large windscreen means the front passengers are exposed to the sun! the other two have an equally powerful AC but the scorpio's small glass gives it an advantage. the Ritz is pretty good too but no rear AC vents & front vents are two small & flow of air is less too. so its a tie between scorpio & innova.

Utility - no comparo here! innova followed by scorpio followed by ritz.

Build quality - I associate build quality with general toughness & robustness of the body. so i rank the scorpio the highest followed by the Ritz (even though it has a broken boot lever & height adjust lever) & innova comes the last.

STOCK
ICE - Innova has the best stock ICE. its crisp & neat. the scorpio's & Ritz's ICE is crappy but scorpio's stock HU supports bluetooth, USB & Aux while the Ritz has only Aux. so its the innova, then scorpio, then Ritz.

Overall - Its but obvious, I (still) LIKE the scorpio the most followed by the Ritz & innova comes the last.

The scorpio & the Ritz has a driver friendly & fun factor to it, but the innova, though extremely reliable & a quality car, is too boring & behaves like a typical family van or a taxi!
if punto 90hp was also added in the comparison it would have taken the lead . especially in ride quality ,built quality,handelling,ac,stunning looks(from every angel)and stock ICE with blue n me. that much said it has taken 80 percent of winning share already[evil]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #39
if punto 90hp was also added in the comparison it would have taken the lead .
with due respect, not for me! Punto 90 bhp is slower than my 2.5 ton SUV, so its a huge disappointment there as i give engine responsiveness the top most priority.

Following are the timings in seconds measured by Vbox by ACI:

0-100 kmph -

Scorpio: 14.88
Punto: 16.21

20-80 in 3rd gear:

Scorpio: 12.13
Punto: 13.97

40-100 in 4th gear:

Scorpio: 14.61
Punto: 14.72

I know the 40-100 timing difference is negligible but consider that the scorpio is much more heavier & not at all aerodynamic. Had FIAT tuned the gearing of the punto properly, the car would have been the hottest hatch in the county today.

especially in ride quality , handling, stunning looks(from every angle)
Agreed.

built quality,
With reports about falling switches & niggles in new cars, i am not too sure. but yes, kudos to FIAT for not making a light weight tinny hatch.

Never experienced Punto's AC in mumbai hot afternoon but considering the Innova & scorpio has rear AC vents, i doubt how the punto would cool faster.

stock ICE with blue n me.
Even scorpio refresh has bluetooth pairing in its stock HU, its just that they have not given it a fancy name!

Disclaimer: I love the Punto but after a thorough research, concluded that i20 diesel is a better buy. But no other car can beat the Punto for looks.

Following are the timings in seconds measured by Vbox by ACI:

0-100 kmph -

Scorpio: 14.88
Punto: 16.21

20-80 in 3rd gear:

Scorpio: 12.13
Punto: 13.97

40-100 in 4th gear:

Scorpio: 14.61
Punto: 14.72
Raj, do you have any link for these figures. I read somewhere the 20-80kph (3rd gear) is 12.52 (Same ACI source).

With reports about falling switches & niggles in new cars, i am not too sure.
Same thing happened to your Ritz, have you read these type of things on forums, I think NO.
I have June'2009 make Punto, and nothing has fallen till now. So its all personal experiences. Since you will find more (comparative) fiat owners on internet/forums, you read more about that.

Even scorpio refresh has bluetooth pairing in its stock HU, its just that they have not given it a fancy name!
This is exactly the problem, you think Blue&Me is same as general bluetooh pairing device. It does more than that.
Does your scorpio reads SMS for you?

Disclaimer: I love the Punto but after a thorough research, concluded that i20 diesel is a better buy. But no other car can beat the Punto for looks.
This is debatable[:D].

Thread Starter #41
Raj, do you have any link for these figures. I read somewhere the 20-80kph (3rd gear) is 12.52 (Same ACI source).
Autocar India - November 2010 issue.

Same thing happened to your Ritz, have you read these type of things on forums, I think NO.
I have June'2009 make Punto, and nothing has fallen till now. So its all personal experiences. Since you will find more (comparative) fiat owners on internet/forums, you read more about that.
Yes, of course. thats is the reason Ritz follows the Scorpio in my ranking. [:)]

This is exactly the problem, you think Blue&Me is same as general bluetooh pairing device. It does more than that.
Does your scorpio reads SMS for you?
Oh, your punto reads SMSes too. thats cool.

but still, when i talk about ICE, how is the audio quality of Punto's stock ICE?

Autocar India - November 2010 issue.
Check this - Grande Punto 90HP Review
They mentions here as -
20-80kph (3rd gear) 12.52

Autocar itself is not consistent to its data. But this is correct even Punto 90HP also is not faster in 1st & 2nd gear.

Oh, your punto reads SMSes too. thats cool.
Fiat doesn't know how to advertise the features they provide in Punto in Linea.
BTW, I have only Emotion (Blue & Me is in E-Pack).

Blue & Me also is getting regular upgrades with so many other features. In India, it doesn't have all the features, but in successful market of fiat, they provide so many things in Blue&Me.

but still, when i talk about ICE, how is the audio quality of Punto's stock ICE?
Stock ICE (In most cases) will have average audio quality. Same with Punto.

I think we are getting OT[:D].

Do you drive your Ritz regularly? Take it to highway sometime (after run-in period), I think you will love your Scorpio more.

well let us not put punto here .
rather have an armchair discusion in punto thread and see who wins .

i love ritz gears movements- they are yummy . looks from front is really catchy. my brother call it as little audi. but in some of the things ritz could not make it upto swift.yet ritz have futuristics and matured looks much ahead of swift but only if parted with huge alloys. i saw a photoshoped version elsewhere in TAI and i loved it.
even if ritz or scorpio could deliver 0-100 dash in 7 secs i wouldnt rate it. as that is nothing of concern for a man in everyday life. we should let go those raceboys and love the safety concerns of ourselves and fellow passengers. i cannot favour punto only because i own one, as i had far exorbitant options as well .but after couple of days being in punto what i learnt is what i missed all these years. i will say "optimistic driving" that is exact word which comes.
(off topic) punto's ice is blaupunkt and it is nice. as an audiophile i can say all it needs is an additional subwoofer preferably with a tweeter. the head unit is very powerful so the doorspeakers cant handle low end bass notes making it rattle.

fancy name blue n me?:- does the bluetooth pairing in scorpio responds to voice(if it does great- i love india) . in punto you connect the phone press the button and call out names you are on air. dial the number verbally - fun truly begins at long drives . (please try to avoid calls while driving-it helps many)

Thread Starter #44
Thats is precisely what i have been saying. When i compared Scorpio, Ritz & Innova, jayadev suggested i add punto to the picture & it would be the winner. what i posted was even if i add punto to the comparo, the scorpio would still win for me. i compared the punto to the scorpio & not the Ritz. I know punto is a much better car than the ritz !!!

Also, 0-100 kmph figures are not just for racer boys. they give you an idea of the responsiveness of the engine & i hate lazy engines. i like engines which respond enthusiastically to your throttle inputs.

Finally, regarding ACI figures, the figures i have posted is from the last page of ACI issue. the one you have posted is from "first drive" of ACI. Maybe they road tested the car later & derived this figure.

Congrats Raj! I loved the storage space next to the tacho.. guess black seat covers might go well with the interiors but beige looks good.

Top Bottom