Maruti Suzuki Ritz 1.2 K-Series – Silver Arrows

Thread Starter #1
This is my first post in TheAutomotiveIndia and i would like to share my car's story with you all.
When it was decided back in start of 2010 to sell the second car of the house : Esteem 1995, the car i learnt to drive in it was decided that the next car will be a hatchback. It was to be mostly used by me as i was about to enter college so i tried to influence my parents as much as i could. Ritz 1.2 petrol was chosen in Silver colour after i wooed my parents away from other alternatives like Spark, Beat, AveoUVA.
I wanted a car which can handle spirited driving and be fun to drive. The swift chassis and suspension and a better engine than other 1.2l cars sold me on it. Although i had doubts about the bodyroll, but it was still better proposition to me than other cars.
So the car was bought. I loved the car right away. I loved the engine sound in 1st gear as i revved away. Its a sort of a whine like a supercharger

I was happy with the car in every aspect. Now in college, we have an annual autocross. I decided to take part. I followed and participated in motorsport avidly since childhood but my interest was only in single seater racing. So i was introduced to autocross in my college and boy it was fun. It was the first time i used the handbrake to take a turn. The OEM tyres screamed for mercy and i was scared if the car would roll over because i was still learning the characteristics of this car.
Here is a video of the bare bone stock car in the autocross Lakshay Ritz Lxi 1.2L (stock) @ Carnaame, ITM - YouTube

Many modified rally cars also took part in this autocross.
Now I was bitten by the bug to make my car even faster.
But my parents would never support me to modify my car. So i had to save money myself.
After one year, i had developed as a driver and had better control over the car. Next years autocross I won the college category. Although the participation was lesser than last year, ritz with 185/60 goodyear tyres with K&N filter and FFE was the main competitor. My puny JK tornados 165/80r14 were no match. It was like driving on ice. But i had more confidence in the car and pushed harder and harder and managed to win by 0.5 seconds margin. I was a satisfying experience. Here's the video: Still Bone Stock [With nuts loosened of the muffler for some Growly sound, I know Cheap Mod but hey Carnaame 2 Original Automeet ITMU Gurgaon Autocross, Lakshay veer Dabas - YouTube

I had managed to save some cash by then and decided to get some work done atlast on the car. My priority always is substance over style. So Firstly I installed K&N Universal Filter. The dealer was very tricky to work with as he had little knowledge about cold air intake positioning and wanted to put the filter on top of the engine block! Finally the setup was completed and i was very happy with the result. The engine was so much smoother and rev friendly and top end did feel more lively.
The next step was to get better rubber. Got Goodyear 185/60 R14 duraplus fitted. They feel decent till now after 1k. Lets see how long the grip lasts. The car is so much better to push now. It responds very nicely to cornering now.
Next on the list was FFE.
I did not had budget for the headers and was advised not to go for them as it would not make much of a difference in my car for the cost. The OEM headers/Manifold [they are the same right?] is 4X1 so i guess they are better for top end. So i decided to Straight Pipe the car catback! And believe me it is very loud! The sound is to die for at high rpms. But it was not so smooth at lower rpms and annoying. Also the new maruti K12 Engines have a stupid rev limiter. The engine does not bounce at the rev limit, it sort of hums. I wanted that bouncing sound so badly!
heres a vid of straight pipe Maruti Suzuki Ritz Catback Straight Pipe - YouTube

After a week, i felt that the sound is way too loud but also not smooth at low rpms. I decided to get a FF Muffler fitted. So now the car is smoother at lower rpms and still screams like hell at higher rpms. Its almost as loud but atleast has some tone to it.
And it sort of pops on lift off. The unburnt octane makes it sound a lot meaner.
I have yet to do any Aesthetic mod on it and i dont plan on it either. Although a 5inch tachometer with shift light would do nicely.
I like the car to look as normal as possible but go faster than normal.
Some performance figures measured by me and my friends :
0-100 ~11.5 Seconds
1st Gear 55kmph
2nd Gear 95kmph
3rd Gear 140kmph
4th Gear +160kmph but sadly ran out of road. I believe it can touch 180 - 190 easily.

The whole Setup Intake and Exhaust cost me a total of 13.5k only which i think is decent in todays market.

Happy Revving!

Attachments

Last edited:
hey mate good enthusiasm I see but your just killing your engine by accelerating it brutally to be honest.

Those engines are not made for that much stress.

Putting a pod intake and bigger exhaust won't really do much unless you make sure your having bigger injectors , aftermarket computer and coilpacks to work with it.

Thread Starter #4
Update : Got new 15inch Matte Black Rims 6.5J
Yokohama ES100 195/60/R15 88H
5 1/2 Inch Autogauge Tacho

Currently work in progress and ETA 1 Week :
Momo Replica Steering Deep Dish
Automech 4X2X1 Headers
BMC DIA Cold Air Intake Kit
Porting and Polishing with Increasing the compression ratio
Fuel Pressure Regulator
Blackened Headlights and Smoked Tail Lights

@ Autopsyche Gurgaon

Estimated Gain ~10 BHP

Thread Starter #8
Last edited:
seriously, you are turning out your ritz into a super car. Congrats on it, and please ensure steps while doing those. I get hurt when I see the car screaming in the autocross.

Thread Starter #14
Re: Maruti Suzuki Ritz 1.2 K-Series – Silver Arrows

Thank you everyone. :)

Can you tell me what is the make of those alloys.
Cannot remember the name of the company. Didnt ask for the name as I got them from my neighbors shop so had no doubts of quality.

seriously, you are turning out your ritz into a super car. Congrats on it, and please ensure steps while doing those. I get hurt when I see the car screaming in the autocross.
thanks. But i didnt get the second part of your post. :)

Attachments

Re: Maruti Suzuki Ritz 1.2 K-Series – Silver Arrows

thanks. But i didnt get the second part of your post. :)
I tried to say that, while participating in autocross, try getting adequate modifications to withstand the abuse. Well, you are in the process of getting that done! [clap]
And your car looks so mean [evil]!
Is it lowered?

Top Bottom