Maruti Suzuki Produces 25 Lakh K-Series Engines!

Thread Starter #1
NEW DELHI: Maruti Suzuki India Ltd. (MSIL) on Friday crossed yet another landmark by producing five-lakh K-series engines in less than 23 months of its introduction.

MSIL started manufacturing fuel efficient K-series petrol engines in October 2008 and has so far introduced it in its seven models — Alto-K10, Wagon R, Swift, Ritz, Estilo, Swift Dzire and A-Star. MSIL has an installed capacity of 5-lakh K-series engines annually, and to meet the growing market demand, it recently announced an expansion plan of additional 2-lakh K-series engines by 2012.

Two types

Maruti Suzuki produces two types of K-series all-aluminium light weight engines in 998cc and 1.2 litre that gives best-in-class fuel efficiency.

Source:Hindu

I'm disappointed that the K-series variant in the new WagonR doesn't cut the mustard. This has to be one of the most underpowered cars on the road today.

Thread Starter #3
Well but the TD reports say that the engine is a lot better than the previous engine thanks to K-series.

IMO instead of manufacturing so much engines , they can work on clearing the backlog!

350Z

Core Team
IMO instead of manufacturing so much engines , they can work on clearing the backlog!
I did not get the point. To clear the backlog, They need to manufacture more units, and to manufacture more units, they after all need an engine, No?

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #5
But hey 5Lakh engines are too many right? Or maybe am i wrong as few numbers would be imported too![frustration]

But i seriously feel they should work to clear the backlog , they are losing several potential customers. My friend who has booked an i20 was very much interested in Swift VXi but backed off seeing the huge waiting period. i20 a new entrant in the market has a waiting period of only 15 days maximum for petrol.

Arun

Suspended
But hey 5Lakh engines are too many right? Or maybe am i wrong as few numbers would be imported too![frustration]
cooldhaya,
The write-up is a magic of English! You have merely misunderstood the purpose!!
The articles says Maruti has achieved the milestone of producing 5 Lakh K-Series engines. It doesn't mean they've produced five lakh at one go!!

No imports here buddy! K-series is totally desi for now!!

@350Z: Well said.

Re: Maruti Suzuki produces 5-lakh K-series engines

Though it may be OT i have a confusion.

Is it the gear box for this engine used in different cars also same? I mean the 998 CC engine usedin the alto, estilo, Wagonr have the same gear box? also the 1.2 ltr engine used in the ritz & Swift has same gear box or they have different gear ratio?

I guess though they have different gear ratio it can be easily fixed to differnt vehicles using the same engine.

I feel Maruti should use the 1.2 ltr K series engine in Wagon r and sold Estilo with 1ltr engine. Then they dont have to stop the Estilo production.

Last edited:

Top Bottom