Maruti Suzuki Ignis Review: Interesting Innovation

How does Ignis AMT perform?This is for my 70+ year old grandfather,who has 2010 end Ritz VXI,which has run just 65000 Kms as the car will be most of the time idle.Since his recent operation,he felt that an AT car suits his needs.Hence,considering Ignis as a replacement of his Ritz.

How does Ignis AMT perform?This is for my 70+ year old grandfather,who has 2010 end Ritz VXI,which has run just 65000 Kms as the car will be most of the time idle.Since his recent operation,he felt that an AT car suits his needs.Hence,considering Ignis as a replacement of his Ritz.
I would suggest you let him TD the AMT version of both Ignis and tiago, and don't compromise on safety, airbags and ABS.

At 6L tiago AMT is a sweet deal, and AMC Gold takes care of everything. Negotiate for a good price for both models as Ignis is slow moving.

Regards
Vinod

I would suggest you let him TD the AMT version of both Ignis and tiago, and don't compromise on safety, airbags and ABS.

At 6L tiago AMT is a sweet deal, and AMC Gold takes care of everything. Negotiate for a good price for both models as Ignis is slow moving.

Regards
Vinod

I would definitely recommend Ignis AMT. It has got the best tuned AMT from Maruti, powerful(of course for his age it doesn't matter)refined engine from the swift and fuel efficient too. It's a better product than Tiago, even after clocking 6000-8000 units a month some niggling issues are still present in Tiago and at the same time Maruti is trouble free to own and has got a good service backup. In terms of sales Ignis is constantly doing around 4000 unit per month and don't expect the sales figure to further improve because it's quite expensive for a small car by Indian standards. Since your grandpa had a Ritz for 7years, similar long term reliability cannot be guaranteed with Tata and one more thing AMT is not an AT, it's more than adequate for the city and even for regular highway trips. Kindly don't benchmark it with an AT.

I took delivery of my Ignis Delta Petrol last week.

Few Observations:
1. Brakes are outstanding.
2. Engine is peppy and super refined. At standstill, we cannot even figure out whether the car is on or off.
3. Overall visibility from driver seat is good.
4. The front seats are super spacious. Leg room at the rear is too good but sitting 3 at the back for long journeys might be a bit uncomfortable.
5. The music system of the Delta variant is decent.

I need some advice from experts for the car run-in period. My previous car was Alto 800 and it didnt have a tachometer. For now, I have decided not to hit 80 kmph and keep rpms restricted to 2500 till the run in period is over.

The car pulls fine at 30kmph in the 4th gear. So is it advisable to shift early during the run in period? The gear indicator in car sometimes asks me to downshift when I try to shift to 4th gear early.

But when I am in 3rd gear at 30 kmph, tachometer shows around 2000 rpm and when I shift to 4th, it goes all the way down to less than 1500 rpm.

Do higher rpms on the tachometer indicate more load on the engine?

bhvm

Honoured Member
I need some advice from experts for the car run-in period. My previous car was Alto 800 and it didnt have a tachometer. For now, I have decided not to hit 80 kmph and keep rpms restricted to 2500 till the run in period is over.

The car pulls fine at 30kmph in the 4th gear. So is it advisable to shift early during the run in period? The gear indicator in car sometimes asks me to downshift when I try to shift to 4th gear early.
Drive a new car in all conditions for proper run in. Don't drive like a Grandpa. Change gears and try various speeds. 30 Kmph in 4th sounds very low. Practically 4 is best at 45+ Kmph. Better at 60.

Let the engine revv freely. Don't lug it or drive at too low of RPMs. You are driving too low. In short, do opposite what you are trying to do.
Check this post and the video. Its very nice-
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...-sx-petrol-ownership-review-2.html#post538116

Last edited:
3 adults(slightly cramped)with decent amount of legroom can be seated in a wagon R but with Ignis it's strictly for 2 adults along with a kid in the middle but it offers better legroom. My experience with wagon R ended 4 years back.
I have actually measured rear seats of Wagon R and Ignis. Wagon R has 44inch width, Ignis 47.5inch and Baleno 48 inch.

So Ignis is almost as wide as Baleno from inside, and good 10cm wider then Wagon R

Drive a new car in all conditions for proper run in. Don't drive like a Grandpa. Change gears and try various speeds. 30 Kmph in 4th sounds very low. Practically 4 is best at 45+ Kmph. Better at 60.

Let the engine revv freely. Don't lug it or drive at too low of RPMs. You are driving too low. In short, do opposite what you are trying to do.
Check this post and the video. Its very nice-
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...-sx-petrol-ownership-review-2.html#post538116
Let me also add that recommendations from the car are based on maximum fuel economy on level stretches of road.Whereas for naturally aspirated engines like the Suzuki K12, you must rev up the band to some extent to be in the meat of the power band. Dont worry about damaging the engine- these are designed to revv up and down!

I wish to buy Ignis Sigma model . Ignis Sigma doesn't have a tachometer. Is it possible to connect a tachometer. Without a tachometer how am I supposed to keep the rpm below 2500 during run in. Kindly forgive my ignorance ...

I have actually measured rear seats of Wagon R and Ignis. Wagon R has 44inch width, Ignis 47.5inch and Baleno 48 inch.

So Ignis is almost as wide as Baleno from inside, and good 10cm wider then Wagon R
It surprising to know this because, from various reviews, Ignis is said to be able to seat only two adults comfortably in back seat along with a child. Baleno can seat three adults comfortably in back seat. So, can Ignis really seat 3 adults comfortably in back seat ?

I own Ignis Zeta Diesel MT clocked 12k Kms and 2018 Swift Diesel As well , Ignis rear seat is really is as wide as Baleno or Swift but its a the narrow cabin width of ignis gives you impression of tad narrow , For GOD SAKE pls dont compare Waganor with Ignis by any means[anger][anger][anger]
It surprising to know this because, from various reviews, Ignis is said to be able to seat only two adults comfortably in back seat along with a child. Baleno can seat three adults comfortably in back seat. So, can Ignis really seat 3 adults comfortably in back seat ?

@Dinesh_l
I feel that shoulder room in ignis is less though seats are wider. Hence sitting 3 people at rear seat will be bit uncomfortable. Because I face the same problem in Ritz. What's your observation?

Last edited:
I would say ignis for short rides for 3 its good, but forget about long journeys with 3 at the back!!.
My Father In Law owns Ritz Vxi which has covered 85000 still drives like a charm because of solid build of metal sheet & Hydraulic Steering[:)] even 100km feels like a charm.
Though i am a diesel head fan but old 1.3L Petrol engine pulls like a mad beast on highways once spooled up!![:D]
@Dinesh_l
I feel that shoulder room in ignis is less though seats are wider. Hence sitting 3 people at rear seat will be bit uncomfortable. Because I face the same problem in Ritz. What's your observation?

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
My Father In Law owns Ritz Vxi which has covered 85000 still drives like a charm because of solid build of metal sheet & Hydraulic Steering[:)]
Dear Dinesh, I am sure you meant Electric power steering, as Ritz never had a hydraulic unit.
I do agree on the solid metal sheet build point as I owned it for 7 years.

Last edited:
Guys has any one did an tyre upgrade for Ignis?.
175/65/R15 is a factory spec , thought to upgrade to 185/65/R15 (i hope it fits). Any suggestions please? Thought to go with Yokos EarthOne.

Top Bottom