Maruti Suzuki Ignis Review: Interesting Innovation

Thread Starter #16

Akash1886

Honoured Member
External Lights and Internal Lights of Maruti Suzuki Ignis.

Normal Halogen Bulb illumination and beam throw in evening time. The beam throw was substantial in both low and high beam.

20170323_183709.jpg

20170323_183705.jpg

The Alpha variant comes with a LED Projector headlamp and DRL setup. The visibility with the Projector and DRL switched on was quite good. Both in low beam and high beam, the visibility was good.

20170320_152654.jpg

20170323_183756.jpg

20170323_183806.jpg

20170323_183802.jpg

20170323_183813.jpg

The front indicators are paired to the headlamps and come with normal bulbs.

20170114_115651.jpg

The tail lamps cluster is a vertical unit and the indicator and parking lights use normal bulbs. Reverse lamps are placed on the extended light cluster. The square shape of the tail lamps remind us of old-age design.

20170323_183833.jpg

20170114_115456.jpg

The number plate bulbs have Yellow illumination

20170323_183829.jpg

In Alpha variant the ORVMs get integrated turn indicators.

20170114_115446.jpg

The cabin gets a single roof lamp with Yellow illumination

20170321_151359.jpg

Last edited:
Thread Starter #17

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Some Helpful Features of Maruti Suzuki Ignis.

Good ORVM viewing space

20170320_152234.jpg

Dual Front Wipers and Dual Windscreen Washers. Quality of Wiper blades is flimsy though.

20170321_151823.jpg

20170321_151943.jpg

Rear Wiper and Washer also provided. In Alpha Spec Rear Windshield gets rear defogger too.

IMG_20170320_153824.jpg

Placement of rear tow hook.

IMG_20170320_153626.jpg

Last edited:
Thread Starter #18

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Drive Performance of Maruti Suzuki Ignis

1.2 Ltr Petrol Engine with Manual Transmission

20170114_115115.jpg

20170114_115121.jpg

20170320_150702.jpg

20170320_150708.jpg

20170320_151835.jpg

20170320_150834.jpg

Coming from the Maruti Suzuki stable, the buyers always have high hopes from their cars in respect to performance and most importantly the fuel efficiency factor. Maruti Suzuki has been setting benchmarks when it comes to claiming the km/L for their cars. Maruti Suzuki has been providing their trusted engines i.e 1.2 Lt Petrol and 1.3 Lt Diesel to their line up of cars. So, on this front, you'll find the same engines doing their duty in Ignis as well. Both the engines provided to Ignis are 4 cylinder engines and use the trusted VVT and DDIS technology. Both these engines are mated to 2 choices of transmission i.e 5 Speed manual box and an AMT. The petrol engines provides 61Kw power and 113 Nm of Torque at 4200 rpm where as the Diesel engine generates 55.2 Kw of Power and 190 Nm of Torque at 2000 rpm. The claimed Fuel Efficiency of both these engines as per the ARAI is, 20.89 Km/L for petrol and 26.8 km/L for diesel respectively. Maruti Suzuki engines are often believed to be reliable and long lasting and as an owner I do vouch at least for this particular aspect. I am sharing here my experience of driving the Ignis Petrol and Diesel with Manual as well as AMT transmissions. At the time of it's launch I went to take a test drive of the AMT Zeta Petrol variant and after driving it I came back with mixed feelings. This time around, I drove first the Manual Transmission Ignis Petrol. To begin with I am impressed with the performance of the engine. The 25 Km drive up and down in this one left me and my chauffeur with a happy face. The NVH levels are well refined even with high revving and the filtering of engine sound to the cabin is well controlled as even the petrol variant gets a under-hood cladding which contributes equally. About the manual transmission, it offered very good response in traffic as well on open roads. The gear shifts in manual transmission are much more precise, refined and in-sync with the engine than the AMT. If I speak about the clutch's performance then yes, what I found was, it was just a bit lacking in refinement. From idle to drive, the clutch lacked in terms of smoothness as my driver drove it and noting the same when I drove the car, it indeed needed a lit bit of effort. However, it is something that can be lived with and definitely shouldn't pose as a deal breaker. Moving ahead with the power and torque delivery of the Petrol engine, I must say, Ignis 1.2 has a happy revving engine and as I drove around the 2000-2500 rpm mark, I could actually sense the power delivery of the engine and linear development of power made the drive much more fun. Talking of the torque delivery, for the car of this size, with a tested and trusted petrol engine, you won't complaint about the torque either. As I drove the petrol engine car, the well balanced pulling power of the engine did surprise me in a pleasant way. Upon seeing me driving, my chauffeur too requested and when he drove, he drove it like a race enthusiast might do. As the engine was again revved to higher rpm levels, the engine's sound did increase but wasn't really a noise to the ears. The pick up and transmission performance were good. We tested the petrol engine between 90-100 km/h and specifically for the engine we did not have any complaints. But if we talk of the steering then it was all together a different story. The feedback from steering at moderate and even high speeds is very poor. It did not give us both the confident feel and a peculiar feature which I noticed was that it did not return to the center when we took a U-turn. The last bit for it to make it to the center has to be done by the driver. Coming to the ride aspect, Well, it was just about average in the petrol spec. The suspension setup (Mc Pherson and Torsion) has more scope of improvement in it. The rear was bouncy in petrol and upon asking I was informed that the air pressure was wrong in tires. This led to a big difference in the ride of the car. At smallest of the breaker, the rear used to jerk and even on the potholes the ride wasn't exactly smooth enough. The brakes however are quite good and the bite point is sufficient enough for bumper to bumper traffic yet upon applying the brakes, the body roll is felt as well. Speaking of the cornering and parking in tight spots, due to it's compact size, it was quite easy for us to take it out from the parking which had limited space near Akshardham temple and turning and cornering it on sharp turns of the Games Village, was easy too but the steering needs constant effort to be kept in center and Maruti Suzuki should work on improving it's response. Speaking of the Tyre, the Ignis comes with 175 section tyres and 15 inch rims. The Tyre size to me looked OK and I did not have issues with them in terms of the road grip offered. The road noise filtering inside the cabin is a shortfall of Ignis though and as Maruti Suzuki hasn't given any inner wheel arc cladding hence the road noise filters in the cabin much more than the engine sound itself. Another thing which I felt is ugly, is the poor design of the alloy rims and the poor wheel-caps fitting.

1.2 Lts Petrol Engine with AMT

20170320_154123.jpg

The AMT Petrol is not as good as the Manual Transmission Petrol. Though the characteristics of the engine in terms of NVH and the ride in general remains same except that this time AMT TD Car had proper air pressure in Tires which led to a comparatively better rear seat experience during the drive but apart from this, the AMT transmission as a unit deteriorates the overall performance output with sluggish response and ill-placed gear shift intervals. So, in between MT and AMT if I have to pick one, I would still opt either a proper AT or MT Ignis. The torque in petrol AMT is enough for this car. Comparing the Petrol MT and Petrol AMT, many would feel that AMT is better in Petrol engine but to me it wasn't. Accelerator response in AMT is dead poor. In Auto mode, the response from accelerator is delayed and that was big put-off for me. It takes a slight bit of time to develop the pickup and same is the case when overtaking. I practically tested it on a Red Signal and noted the sluggish AMT response in overtaking while my chauffeur drove it. These type of shortcoming, made me loose the interest in the car as MT Ignis was still more fun-to-drive thing than this one. On the other hand, the steering feedback in AMT too wasn't convincing. In the overall 20 Km drive of AMT, not even for a single moment I was as comfortable to drive it as I was with the MT Ignis Petrol.

Here is a video of the 1.2 Ltr Petrol Engine in Maruti Suzuki Ignis.​

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5NRhN-C7Sg

Last edited:
Thread Starter #19

Akash1886

Honoured Member
1.3 Lts Diesel Engine with Manual Transmission.

20170320_152719.jpg

20170320_152726.jpg

20170321_151326.jpg

IMG_20170320_153817.jpg

20170320_152638.jpg

The 1.3 Diesel unit is a tried and very successful diesel engine from Maruti Suzuki. It is the same unit which Maruti Suzuki sourced from FIAT. In due course of time where the competitors have made a move to graduate to higher capacity engines in the segment, Maruti Suzuki still sticks with the old diesel mill. When I drove the diesel engine Ignis, it was a familiar feel since the same engine powers even their actually premium and more spacious Baleno hatchback among many others. The plus point in introducing Ignis for Maruti Suzuki is that they are offering the car in AMT and Manual Transmission variants both with the diesel engine which gives Ignis an edge over others. Coming to the drive, the characteristic deep sound of the diesel is very much there but when driving, the NVH levels seemed low and the sound filtering to the cabin was also quite low. The manual transmission in diesel still was at its best and the gear shifts in normal driving being smooth. The suspension in the diesel model could still be a notch better than the present one since the rear seat passenger (my chauffeur) felt slight jerks. The torque delivery in the diesel unit is sufficient and won't leave the you complaining. For a city drive this diesel engine with the manual transmission serves the purpose very well. Just like the petrol engine, the diesel engine too gets under-hood cladding and the badge of DDIS on the left front fender shall help you differentiate the DDIS from Petrol Car.

1.3 Lts Diesel Engine with AMT Transmission

20170324_182846.jpg

This combination is the edge which Maruti Suzuki creates with the Ignis. By the way, this particular combo was the most difficult to locate at the dealer. I tell you, we had to check out multiple NEXA outlets for this Diesel AMT Test Drive car and frankly, some did not have them and some were gone for "TD" already. Finally, as I did not want to leave my review incomplete, so took a drive in a fellow resident's new Ignis Diesel with AMT after taking permission from her father 2 days in prior. Please note, as it was a resident's car and a new one so a long TD was out of question. I had to impress her with whatever bit of knowledge about cars I had and she agreed for a 20 mins drive. Whether, Ignis Diesel and AMT sells or not I give a damn but yes with this review, I did earn a good friend. I drove the car today in evening and I cursed myself. Better would have been to watch Badrinath ki Dulhania again instead wasting time with the AMT again. Frankly, the AMT is pathetic offering to the Ignis at such a high price. God knows why did Maruti Suzuki opt out of providing a proper AT Box and gave this funny stick to drive the car and more over the steering feedback even in the diesel engine stays as a question mark. I drove the car between 70-80 km/h and in manual mode, the car was firm and well balanced. The overtaking and pickup even in the diesel engine suffers from the sluggish AMT performance. I shifted from Auto to Manual mode and got some respite from the horrific experience. In manual model, Ignis still managed to potter around with ease even in moderate evening traffic. Overall if you ask me, Manual Transmission in Ignis is any day better than the show-off AMT. My suggestion to you all would be, Do not run to the ATM for buying an AMT.

Here is a video of the 1.3 Lt Diesel engine of Maruti Suzuki Ignis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff1jA1pwYRc

Last edited:
Thread Starter #20

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Friends, I am deliberately avoiding to write the likes and dislikes as in the whole review I have already mentioned my views. However, I have one question to ask, Why Katappa killed Baahubali?[lol] Actually, Why Maruti Suzuki did not give AMT option in top spec variant? So till my next review do enjoy the parting shots of Maruti Suzuki Ignis.

IMG_20170320_150652.jpg

IMG_20170320_150704.jpg

IMG_20170320_151805.jpg

20170320_150817.jpg

20170320_151229.jpg

Sharing of any pics or details of this review needs full credit to The Automotive India.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
Nice and detailed review @Akash, especially of the interior. I test drove the petrol manual (Alpha) on multiple occasions, except on long highways, and I agree with your opinion on the build quality, the steering feedback (lack of it) and the overall performance. Just a few cents from my side (which I covered in my other thread responses)
-the front seat felt quite comfortable, but the seat foam is a bit soft.
-the 1.2 petrol seems to have a bit of flat spot at around the 2K RPM till around 2.7K RPM, in the 3rd gear, between speeds of 40 to 60 kph, any quick overtaking might require a 2nd gear downshift.
-I thought the ride quality was quite planted at city speeds.
Of course, now having experienced my first few dozen kms on the GT TSi, the car is worlds apart in terms of build quality, and in general, solid feel of the car in and out. Not to mention the powerplant, which is again in a different league. Will update an ownership post for the same in some time.

Is it possible to add following accessories to ignis delta variant? If yes, what would be the approx cost at nexa?
1. Rear wiper
2. Reverse camera and better infotainment system
3.front fog lamps
4. Additional speakers with bass woofers
5. seat covers with added padding for thigh and back support especially for rear seat

Thanks

Thread Starter #25

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Is it possible to add following accessories to ignis delta variant? If yes, what would be the approx cost at nexa?
1. Rear wiper
I guess adding a rear wiper as accessory isn't possible. Even a DIY would need precision and reasonable amount of efforts.

3.front fog lamps
5. seat covers with added padding for thigh and back support especially for rear seat
Wouldn't suggest you to buy these accessories from NEXA as they'll be expensive. Go to a good aftermarket outlet and get the same done buddy.

Regards

Akash

kkn13

Suspended
1. Rear wiper
3.front fog lamps

Thanks
Except 1. , Everthing else is possible

2. Pioneer Android Auto HUs are best for support etc if you want AA

3. Official MGA should apply from dealer

5. Possible but a bit tricky

For 1. You can enquire from dealer but they will charge a bomb if possible at all . Im not a fan of getting holes drilled in the car because of leakage issues so dont go that route

@Akash1886
Pros & Cons list would have been made the review "A Complete Review". But nevertheless, a great, detailed review. Kudos to that!

Bhai, ek suggestion! please try to break the long post into paragraphs so that it will be easy to read for old guys like me! [:D] Is there any salesgirls who gave demo of Ignis?

Top Bottom