Maruti Suzuki Celerio Diesel MT Driven

MSIL has recently started offering ICE on Swift VDi with ABS and auto folding/unfolding door mirrors, but they did it just because the Swift used to look naked for a 7 lac car. Now Polo, Liva etc do offer ABS+Airbags as a standard throughout their range(diesel for Liva). Adding to that, maybe it's the i20 effect which forced them to do so.
The basic point is that, MSIL; just like Toyota and Honda, also tries to offer as less as possible for the money and with such a strong product line up in the hatchback segment, all they want is the customer to stay in their showroom; no matter what product the customer buys.

Its that simple, who all feel it as a nonsense car they can just avoid it.

I think MSIL wont mind selling this celerio diesel for that purpose.

Anyways, I don't think those who are capable of paying 6+ lac will be an uninformed person, definitely they will check out others cars atleast the other maruti diesel cars.
Agreed on most of it. The true target of MSIL are only the FE concerned people, no matter if they know the truth that this underpowered engine will end up sipping way more fuel than they imagine in tougher situations. Less powerful the engine is, more stressed it is on expressways and here in India, a car is a car and it is supposed to hit city, highway and hills with equal enthusiasm.

BTW, with this land acquisition and all; villagers these days don't even park the Maruti cars in their homes. I have been to villages where spotting an XUV or even any of the German Big Threes is easier than spotting a DZire.

Let us compare the Price and feature differences between 1.2LGrand i10 asta and 1.2LSwift zxi

Their prices hardly differ 25-30k isn't it? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Swift has
*Automatic AC.
*185mm tire mounted on 15" alloy wheels.
*Marginally better power and tourque figures
*Much better driving dynamics.
*Better 0-100kmph score.
*Better gross weight.
What are the features of grandi10 which stands out from the swift?
Let me put a couple of thoughts here, in fact my experience too.

The price difference is nearly 60k between both the vehicles.

• Swift has automatic A/C, agree. Grand i10 comes with rear A/C vents and enjoys a better cooling throughout the cabin; you can experience it on any hot summer day. Now you decide between form and factor.
  • 185 mm tire mounted on 15" alloys, yes Swift has it but still the Grand i10 brakes with more confidence. You need to press the middle pedal in the Hyundai kid just to see how well the brakes do bite. Even the cariant without ABS offers a braking which can rival a Swift ZXi.
  • Swift has better power and torque figures but Grand i10 has more usable power delivery with a better low end and mid range; a tall stroke petrol engine it is after all. BTW, Grand i10 beats Swift in 0-100, top speed and in-gear acceleration timings too.
  • Agree that Swift has better driving dynamics.
  • Please do cross check these 0-100 scores and even if I am wrong then do check that how much micro seconds the i10 is behind by. Bring in exact number, as much I remember, the Grand is quicker in every way.
  • So what if Swift is heavier? Grand i10 scored 4 star in Euro NCAP while Swift got 3 in Latin NCAP. It is confirmed that both are India spec cars with two airbags. Again the form vs factor battle.

People who are planning to buy a Celerio Petrol, will also give a 2nd thought. Reason, for them, its a Celerio. Perception would be "If Diesel one is so bad at performance, how'll the petrol one be?". Sales of the petrol version might also see some change.
When Celerio Petrol was launched initially during Feb 2014, Zen Estilo was being phased out. I was searching for a car to buy. Being a Maruti fan, I had an option of buying either basic Celerio LXI or a fully loaded Zen Estilo VXI model (minus ABS/airbags) at much lesser price than Celerio LXI (Engines are same KB model). I chose to go with Estilo. After Celerio diesel launch, I was bit amazed to see that ZDI (O) Celerio offering the same features as what my Estilo is having (except for Diesel Engine, Alloys, ABS and Airbags) but at Rs 6.5 lacs plus on road. This is way high price for its class. Though I miss ABS and Airbags in Estilo but am not much worried as I drive within speed limits. But I see the decision I made was appropriate one and I am very much happy with Estilo. The ride comfort is also better.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #79

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Not sure whether it is posted already. But this is a gem and must read to know in and out of diesel celerio!
Evidently FD, the pump set can be heard while on-road driving of Diesel Celerio. The Review is basically a walk-around and feature explanation. An elaborate test drive review that's done like us and others brings out true colors of this car.

Regards

Akash

Evidently FD, the pump set can be heard while on-road driving of Diesel Celerio. The Review is basically a walk-around and feature explanation. An elaborate test drive review that's done like us and others brings out true colors of this car.

Regards

Akash
[frustration] [frustration]

Do I have to yell "Sarcasm"!!!!! I know you are too upset on this car, but this was posted to lighten the mood! [lol]

Celerio is basically a good-looking WagonR. The former ticks all practicality points of the latter with the added bonus of somewhat good looks for the aam junta who want WagonR reliability with non-boxy appearance. I say this from the point of view of the aam junta crowd who see some merit in Celerio petrol. The diesel, of course, is bound to fail. At that price a right-thinking person would go for other diesel cars with a somewhat more powerful engine as some members here have pointed out. Celerio manual is definitely overpriced.

Maruti tested waters with this tiny Diesel. They didn't expect it to be grand sales success, but are happy that Celerio numbers have increased due to this Diesel. Read somewhere on the net.

This Diesel engine was built for LCV and Maruti took a chance and plonked it in Celerio.

If by any chance it would have sold in decent numbers it would have been a great/extra money for MSIL as the RnD cost was that much.

Thanks a lot the sales were not that great else the sound of this car would have made a great story (read sound pollution) and we might have seen Nano diesel as well which was discarded due to NVH and refinement issues before production. Thank you Tata for the bold decision of scraping the plans[:)]

Thread Starter #86

Akash1886

Honoured Member
I really dont understand why Maruti is cheating Indian customers with ill built cars , while they can make strong cars for Europe,Australia,Africa etc
Simply because, of the car-affording population in India, major chunk is of those who still believe in "chalta hai" attitude. Apart from the FE, the only main concern for the buyers at large in India is the discount. So, taking in view, the attitude of public towards them and the immense BLIND FAITH of decades, MSIL is giving us these tin-cans on 4 wheels. This time around, I think, this matter of Zero Ratings won't die out easily and our authorities will definitely take this matter up because it has been highlighted on a large scale in e-media as well. I was listening to a veteran automotive journalist on a news channel an hour back, he too said, the debate of Zero Ratings of Indian cars would certainly go to higher levels this time. Even today as I was at a launch event, the main topic of discussion was "How come Scorpio got a Zero?" I think if Maruti Suzuki is indeed caring for India and Indians, then it should take the opinions and views as constructive criticism instead of defending their sub-quality products. It should not waste time on defending itself rather chalk out plans to improve.

Regards

Akash

Simply because, of the car-affording population in India, major chunk is of those who still believe in "chalta hai" attitude. Apart from the FE, the only main concern for the buyers at large in India is the discount. So, taking in view, the attitude of public towards them and the immense BLIND FAITH of decades, MSIL is giving us these tin-cans on 4 wheels. This time around, I think, this matter of Zero Ratings won't die out easily and our authorities will definitely take this matter up because it has been highlighted on a large scale in e-media as well. I was listening to a veteran automotive journalist on a news channel an hour back, he too said, the debate of Zero Ratings of Indian cars would certainly go to higher levels this time. Even today as I was at a launch event, the main topic of discussion was "How come Scorpio got a Zero?" I think if Maruti Suzuki is indeed caring for India and Indians, then it should take the opinions and views as constructive criticism instead of defending their sub-quality products. It should not waste time on defending itself rather chalk out plans to improve.

Regards

Akash
I hope they do better make it fast as the number of cars selling per month is over 50k unsafe cars,
Thats no silly number, already there are more than 10 lakhs insafe cars in India from Maruti and Hyundai only if we take the statistics, and if just 1% of these cars get into accident istself the damage is huge, add to it weak insurance policies for small cars and the second hand market its a huge concern as MSIL has already sold too much unsafe cars

See if a brand shows the will only the people will follow it, MSIL has the biggest influence on Indian car buyer and when they resort to such cheap methods the people too will follow it and si will be the comperition, Eon,Kwid,Nano,EEco,all failing test means why should a new company Redigo nail safety as the big player is not concerned about it, that has happened already, Go failing crash test evwn before it properly entered our market,
As of now small players like VW,Ford etc are showing MSIL the way its to be done,like making airbags standard,ABS standard etc
Another news is Maruti has again confessed that it has cheated the fuel economy test much like Mitsubishi, so now its all against Maruti and yet our people still keep on buying these cars which goves Maruri more faith to produce more cars with poor quality,
Anyway, my trust for Maruti brand has got to 0, NCAP gave them a second chance this year post the 2014 test and yet they havent moved a bit and still justifying the weakness.
Thats down right arrogance according to me.

And MSIL quotes officially that their new Alto800 is more fuel efficient than earlier one. Can it be re-checked??

Regards

Akash
True, nobody will check,
Anyway why I post these in these forums are because if anybody is going for these cars like Celerio,Alto, etc I for one would insist them to always opt for the airbags, or move to higher trims always that gets ABS and airbags,
A lot of people in tight budget try to avoid all these safety accessories, and I think thats not at all a good idea, at least airbags should be opted, thats what I think as atleast a part time remedy to this lunatic situation.

Thread Starter #90

Akash1886

Honoured Member
I post these in these forums are because if anybody is going for these cars like Celerio,Alto, etc I for one would insist them to always opt for the airbags, or move to higher trims always that gets ABS and airbags,
A lot of people in tight budget try to avoid all these safety accessories, and I think thats not at all a good idea, at least airbags should be opted, thats what I think as atleast a part time remedy to this lunatic situation.
I 2nd your point but one more thing is to be made compulsory i.e NO EXTRA CHARGE FOR SAFETY FEATURES. The budget actually becomes tight and people go for lesser variants / options because the popular brands in India charge on providing basic safety. It is though an age old debate as to Why one should pay extra for safety?? However, all these years, no concrete result came up from it but this time lets hope the deaf ears are able to listen and blind eyes begin to see!

Regards

Akash

Top Bottom