Maruti Suzuki Celerio Diesel MT Driven

Thread Starter #61

Akash1886

Honoured Member
You missed something.
HEre the point is, even when eon doesn't offer abs, airbags or rear wiper for its 5Lac worth car. Unlike the hyundai, Maruti does offer.
Kiran, if we see the ex-showroom price of Celerio's Zdi and Zdi (o) i.e Celerio Diesel ZDi: Rs. 5.25 lakh and Celerio Diesel ZDi (O): Rs. 5.71 lakh. In ex-showroom itself there is a difference of 45K. Based on ex-showroom, the On-road price would be around 5.7L for ZDI and around Rs. 6.3L for Zdi (o). Now if Maruti Suzuki, one of the oldest Indian automotive brand, which has seen the development of Indian market over decades, cannot give ABS and Airbag to ZDI Variant of Celerio with a proper refined engine and in their optional Variant of Celerio Diesel that costs around 6.3L on road if they don't give adequate comfort features and a refined engine then for what should we look up to Maruti Suzuki? Their feature distribution is pathetic.

Regards

Akash

FD,What is the point in having a push start? I would say instead of that put that money in to safety standards. If mass produced ABS will not cost more than 5K per car. Couldn't that be done by these guys. I had already talked about the pricing strategy and the issues in Celerio VXi which was costing 5.2.lacs OTR.What Maruti should have done is to make this car truly for this new age.They can provide one bare bones model.Then after they must provide ABS and Air bag as standard from there and above.
Celerio is mysteriously overpriced.With no new technological aspect just for the sake of a new model they priced it higher than Wagon R.Heavily over crowded segment with Alto K 10,Wagon R ,Stingray maruti kept this model high thinking they will sell the automated version.Remember all these vehicles uses the same engine. This itself shows Maruti is "deeply" concerned with people getting safety standards as almost none of them have ABS in ordinary trims.
I understand your point regarding safety features. But if people are okay with peanuts, why offer them almond? That is what Maruti's strategy throughout their days in India! I am not siding with MSIL, but telling you the fact.

Unless the government does something like making ABS+Airbag mandatory, they will never want to provide one. Because after all they are here to make money. Just think of this. MSIL priced 5L for this puny 2 pot engine, if so then how can you expect them to give you safety features!

Atleast for Hyundai, if you look at it, they are also kinda following MSIL footpath in pricing and safety offerings, but at least they have some nice interior and loaded with features. On contrary what MSIL offers? Nothing.

So the options are

1. Govt take step and follow it to the core and make sure everyone adhere to it
2. As a customer, we start neglect such products so they will come to their senses!

Kiran, if we see the ex-showroom price of Celerio's Zdi and Zdi (o) i.e Celerio Diesel ZDi: Rs. 5.25 lakh and Celerio Diesel ZDi (O): Rs. 5.71 lakh. In ex-showroom itself there is a difference of 45K. Based on ex-showroom, the On-road price would be around 5.7L for ZDI and around Rs. 6.3L for Zdi (o). Now if Maruti Suzuki, one of the oldest Indian automotive brand, which has seen the development of Indian market over decades, cannot give ABS and Airbag to ZDI Variant of Celerio with a proper refined engine and in their optional Variant of Celerio Diesel that costs around 6.3L on road if they don't give adequate comfort features and a refined engine then for what should we look up to Maruti Suzuki? Their feature distribution is pathetic.
Till today, I didn't understand MSIL's logic behind pricing. While other brands does offer better features, all they did was nothing. IIRC, even music system was considered as luxury in MSIL's car till recently. But, who cares, as long as people buy their cars, they don't find any compelling reason to add any new features(read = swift!).

The point is, the next range of refined diesel engine with safety features are only available at 7.3L for the Grand I10 and at 6.8L for the Beat.

As our FD said, people are more into the low variants than into the top variants. In that case
Celerio Ldi costs 5.2Lac
Beat cost 6.3Lac
Grand i10 6.1Lac
THe purpose of an "entry level diesel" car is to make easy to the pocket. A person who doesn't care about the NHV, will think to save this difference of 1lac in bank and use its interest to add up into the fuel expenses.

Just like most of the people who save their money by buying nano instead of a much more better NVH vehicles like Eon or Alto.

I believe, the price will be faaar cheaper if they decide to plonk this little engine in a alto800. like tata did it in its nano.

Regards.,

Last edited:
Thread Starter #64

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Till today, I didn't understand MSIL's logic behind pricing. While other brands does offer better features, all they did was nothing. IIRC, even music system was considered as luxury in MSIL's car till recently. But, who cares, as long as people buy their cars, they don't find any compelling reason to add any new features(read = swift!).
+1, Maruti's think tanks do need a serious brain storming session. I never understand, their rolling out of additional variants with incomplete features. I do accept the fact that to a good extent, this scenario took birth due to just "mileage and brand biased people".

The point is, the next range of refined diesel engine with safety features are only available at 7.3L for the Grand I10 and at 6.8L for the Beat.
But still paying around 6+ Lac for this engine is pure non-sense Kiran in my view.

Celerio Ldi costs 5.2Lac
This variant would be sold in fleets and rural areas. In City LDi Celerio (for personal use) would be next to Zero.

THe purpose of an "entry level diesel" car is to make easy to the pocket. A person who doesn't care about the NHV, will think to save this difference of 1lac in bank and use its interest to add up into the fuel expenses.
Accepted, and only for such people this car is designed. Its not for informed people.

Just like most of the people who save their money by buying nano instead of a much more better NVH vehicles like Eon or Alto.
Well, Nano has its niche market. But yes those who buy Nano, should at least give look to Alto 800 if not k10.

I believe, the price will be faaar cheaper if they decide to plonk this little engine in a alto800.
I did mention it earlier, 800cc diesel could have been nice for experimenting in 800cc Alto instead of killing the already humbly selling Celerio.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
Thread Starter #68

Akash1886

Honoured Member
BTW getting a Celerio diesel TD seems to be tough in my place. Either they don't have TD vehicle or they don't follow up properly!
Follow up could be the issue otherwise, a sample model of Diesel Celerio would surely be allocated to all dealers pan-India by MSIL. My uncle's dealership had 1 ZDi (grey one), and 1 Blue Zdi+ which I drove.

Regards

Akash

But still paying around 6+ Lac for this engine is pure non-sense Kiran in my view.

This variant would be sold in fleets and rural areas. In City LDi Celerio (for personal use) would be next of Zero.

Accepted, and only for such people this car is designed. Its not for informed people.
Its that simple, who all feel it as a nonsense car they can just avoid it.

I think MSIL wont mind selling this celerio diesel for that purpose.

Anyways, I don't think those who are capable of paying 6+ lac will be an uninformed person, definitely they will check out others cars atleast the other maruti diesel cars.

Well, Nano has its niche market. But yes those who buy Nano, should at least give look to Alto 800 if not k10.
But still there are some space left for you to believe that there are nano owners who will fall in the category of uninformed people. Isn't it?
I dont think nano owners are unaware about the car alto800. They must have brought nano since it will be the car which ticks more requirements of them than any other cars.

Atleast for Hyundai, if you look at it, they are also kinda following MSIL footpath in pricing and safety offerings, but at least they have some nice interior and loaded with features. On contrary what MSIL offers? Nothing.

Let us compare the Price and feature differences between 1.2LGrand i10 asta and 1.2LSwift zxi

Their prices hardly differ 25-30k isn't it? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Swift has
*Automatic AC.
*185mm tire mounted on 15" alloy wheels.
*Marginally better power and tourque figures
*Much better driving dynamics.
*Better 0-100kmph score.
*Better gross weight.
What are the features of grandi10 which stands out from the swift?

As I said before, If every brands are offering same featured cars with similar engine performances with similar build quality and fuel efficiency for the same price then whats the purpose of different brands coming with new and new different models.[;)]

Let us compare the Price and feature differences between 1.2LGrand i10 asta and 1.2LSwift zxi

Their prices hardly differ 25-30k isn't it? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Swift has
*Automatic AC.
*185mm tire mounted on 15" alloy wheels.
*Marginally better power and tourque figures
*Much better driving dynamics.
*Better 0-100kmph score.
*Better gross weight.
What are the features of grandi10 which stands out from the swift?

As I said before, If every brands are offering same featured cars with similar engine performances with similar build quality and fuel efficiency for the same price then whats the purpose of different brands coming with new and new different models.[;)]
I wasn't talking about current gen cars! My point was, MSIL doesn't offer these features out of blue. I mean, look at history where Hyundai offered loads of features in their cars, when market was unheard of those things. And then MSIL evolved, or even say, forced to give some basic features to compete with.

I am not going to compare current gen cars! And I want you to have a look at older cars which was best seller for MSIL. As I said, i20 had 6 airbags! But in Swift? Or even for that matter, SX4/Ciaz? Still, IIRC Verna does offer 6 airbags. What are you going to say about this? So please, I don't want to compare model by model. It is just that I want to explain you how MSIL plays their little game!

Thread Starter #71

Akash1886

Honoured Member
But still there are some space left for you to believe that there are nano owners who will fall in the category of uninformed people. Isn't it?
I dont think nano owners are unaware about the car alto800.
Kiran I don't say that Nano owners are ill-informed or novice. They definitely feel that its the right car so they buy and will continue to do so. That's why I said it has niche market. My point is, for buying a Nano, the person should do a fare analysis and then buy. Maybe many of them do, but not all do it. Reason why I said to have a look on Alto 800 is because, a purchase made after comparing the pros and cons will lead to a more informed decision for the buyer.[:)]

Regards

Akash

I wasn't talking about current gen cars! My point was, MSIL doesn't offer these features out of blue. I mean, look at history where Hyundai offered loads of features in their cars, when market was unheard of those things. And then MSIL evolved, or even say, forced to give some basic features to compete with.

I am not going to compare current gen cars! And I want you to have a look at older cars which was best seller for MSIL. As I said, i20 had 6 airbags! But in Swift? Or even for that matter, SX4/Ciaz? Still, IIRC Verna does offer 6 airbags. What are you going to say about this? So please, I don't want to compare model by model. It is just that I want to explain you how MSIL plays their little game!
Agreed, former i20 had 6 airbags. Then why the same hyundai decided not to put this feature in its new i20 elite or active, why no to all 4 disc brakes???
The answer is very simple, demand for six airbags for this segment is very less. MSIL must have known this before[lol]

Now about the verna and ciaz.
FD, isn't that a good thing?[;)] A person whose requirement is 6 airbags can easily reject this ciaz and go for the verna without giving a second thought.[evil]

FD, let it be the msil or hyundai, their ultimate aim is to make profit. They will change their tactics only with respect to the demand to their products.

Regards.,

In some sense, perhaps the consumers are also responsible because they want everything cheap, efficient and easy. Had there been much more acceptance of quality (build quality, ride quality, handling quality) then we would have much safer and superior cars selling way better than most cars from MSIL or Hyundai. (eg Polo, Punto, Jazz, Linea, Vento etc) But this obsession with kmpl has led to MSIL create this abomination of an engine. And to pay 5-6 lacs for this POS ?? Is the Indian consumer so helpless .weighed down and brainwashed by MSIL's kmpl propaganda that he/she should patronize such a product over far more superior products from other manufacturer ? Thats the question.

I understand your point regarding safety features. But if people are okay with peanuts, why offer them almond? That is what Maruti's strategy throughout their days in India! I am not siding with MSIL, but telling you the fact.
Completely agreed with this. We're all trying to achieve lean manufacturing, and overprocessing is one of the 7 key wastes that needs to be eliminated.

Top Bottom