Maruti Suzuki Celerio Diesel MT Driven

Guys is the engjne noise that bother you? It was when ford introduced ikon and people critisized as truck noise. Now that then it powered fhe fiesta, figo and ecosport. So can we say a 10L+ car sound like a truck? Let's see how this engine is accepted by a mass of indian crowd, that you and me decide it is not capable of chart leader. Let us wait and watch.
No no, its not about the noise. Its about the cost. Everybody want this rigid, safe, spacious compact car for 3-4lac.[evil]

No no, its not about the noise. Its about the cost. Everybody want this rigid, safe, spacious compact car for 3-4lac.[evil]
You have a great sense of humor buddy [lol] The (safe) is to be underlined again .[evil]
And this line deserves its position in tickle your funny bones section .
Just kidding Kichu .

That's not true. Not everyone expect that from 3-4L category! To be frank, no one in their sane mind expect this! What most people need from this category is, decent space, power, mileage and trust me, some people never used their A/C too, thinking that as an luxury. No generalization please!

Thread Starter #49

Akash1886

Honoured Member
BTW Has anyone wonder this! There are no official reviews in any site yet! Any idea why?
If they write,they have to write good things.Once they write something,its like forever in the internet.You cannot write bad ,as it is 'Maruti'. You cannot write good as it is a twin cylinder diesel engine which is not reliable as it is not tested anywhere.This is the dilemma these writers are in.
Perfect explanation! [clap]

But another question, what IF some site/reviewer give out negative feedback? Did someone come up and shut down the review or something like that? I don't think so!
No brand can ever shut a online review just because it highlights negative aspects. After all the real meaning of "un-biased" is that only. The writers are probably not given the vehicle so far for testing and who ever has got the chance to drive it since launch will have nothing but dull face at large. Maruti with this Celerio diesel has committed a mistake. All the actual excitement of having smallest diesel engine apparently gone down the drain.

It might also be possible that Maruti Suzuki after getting initial response on the Celerio Diesel's performance on-road, has decided to improvise on it. For getting an initial response for the car, Maruti did send the car to dealers and few "lucky" ones drove it.

If I want a least priced diesel car, I will definitely go for the Chevy Beat. None of us expect this outcome of a 6 lakh rupees car.
Absolutely, a 6 lac rupee car which is almost double the price of Nano (top model) is having such un-refined engine is highly intolerable.

The people who criticized Nano for its sound, will go for this and give excuse that diesel car do make more sound than the petrol one.
Having diverse buyers in Indian market, this can surely be a possibility.

No no, its not about the noise. Its about the cost. Everybody want this rigid, safe, spacious compact car for 3-4lac.
One can neither expect a 3-4 lac car sound as a tractor either. If a person is expected to invest 3-4 lacs even he does have the right to get atleast a sound engine. On the other hand, GM and Maruti are far off in terms of their body strength. As of safety, come October-2015, the brands will bend backwards and yet give basic safety features in all models.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
Thread Starter #51

Akash1886

Honoured Member
The reason for saying 3-4lacs why because, there were lots of feedback from the fellow members saying it is priced too much.
Certainly Kiran, its awkward in pricing. Ever since Maruti revised the distribution of the features in their variants from Swift Face-lift, after that it has been simply useless to even think that their hatchbacks would be VFM. Can you digest the fact that ZDi trim has only 1 air-bag and no ABS? This is total crap of sensibilities from Maruti's end to price a car 6 Lac and provide the features that could be found in a 4 lac car. Their ZDI variant Celerio diesel can't be even compared to many brand's mid variants in terms of features and comfort. In 6 Lac car no flip key, non-roomy cabin. If I have to personally define this car in 3 words so i'll call it "Lump Of Metal". I have said it earlier, and would say again, If Maruti Suzuki wants to sell their top variants only, simply they should stop offering the middle variants. There should be only LDI/LXI and ZDI/ZXI/ZDI(o). They should not make a fool out of the customer by offering a ill-featured variant at a hefty premium. I am hopping to soon see the Variant Line up and feature list of their "premium" offering, A-Cross/S-Cross.

Regards

Akash

Certainly Kiran, its awkward in pricing. Ever since Maruti revised the distribution of the features in their variants from Swift Face-lift, after that it has been simply useless to even think that their hatchbacks would be VFM. Can you digest the fact that ZDi trim has only 1 air-bag and no ABS? This is total crap of sensibilities from Maruti's end to price a car 6 Lac and provide the features that could be found in a 4 lac car. Their ZDI variant Celerio diesel can't be even compared to many brand's mid variants in terms of features and comfort. In 6 Lac car no flip key, non-roomy cabin. If I have to personally define this car in 3 words so i'll call it "Lump Of Metal". I have said it earlier, and would say again, If Maruti Suzuki wants to sell their top variants only, simply they should stop offering the middle variants. There should be only LDI/LXI and ZDI/ZXI/ZDI(o). They should not make a fool out of the customer by offering a ill-featured variant at a hefty premium. I am hopping to soon see the Variant Line up and feature list of their "premium" offering, A-Cross/S-Cross.

Regards

Akash
Did you talk to me like I'm someone from MSIL :/?

First of all I'm also a person who wish every cars should have all the safety features as standard in every variants.

So here when talking about the ABS and the Airbag(Dr) in the ZDI/ZXI variants, we must also have a look into the other cars too.

Hyundai i10 grand have 4 variants( era, magna, sportz and asta) over there abs and airbags are optional in the asta, none other variants got any.
Chevrolet Beat has 4 variants(PS, LS, LT and LT(o)), here also only the top variant has the abs and airbags.
When its in Celerio Inaddition to the zdi/zxi(0), they are giving a driver airbag for the second highest variant that is in the zxi/zdi variants, isn't that a good thing or a thing to blame?

Where in the Honda Brio, out the 5+1 Variants(There is a new variant called VXBL) First 3 variants dont have ABS and the first 4 variants are not having airbags.

Price difference with the low and top end variants of different cars.( Manual Transmission)
Nano Genx .5Lac
Ritz 1Lac
Celerio 1.06Lac
Beat 1.21Lac
I10 Grand 1.23Lac
Swift 1.58Lac
Brio 1.78Lac

Akash, apart from the engine performances, what are the features you are talking about a 6Lac car? Its a serious Doubt, don't consider it as a challenge. [embarass]

Regards.,

Thread Starter #53

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Akash, apart from the engine performances, what are the features you are talking about a 6Lac car? Its a serious Doubt, don't consider it as a challenge.
Kiran, we aren't in a battle ground buddy.[:)] so nothing comes as challenge. I am seriously doubting the sensibilities of feature distribution of Maruti in present times. As a personal opinion I feel a 6 lac rupee car should have following features.

* Push Button start in Zdi (o)

* Adjustable headrests (F and R). Even a Lxi Variant of Wagon R has them.

* Legroom (Far better in Lxi Wagon R)

* ABS and 1 Airbag should be present in Zdi also.

* Why not Maruti gave an AMT to Zdi or Zdi (o)? If they can provide it in petrol then why not in Diesel?

* Why no disc brakes in rear?

Considering that there is a difference of a Lac in petrol and diesel Celerio, won't it be sensible on Maruti's part to at least make above features available in mentioned variants?

Regards

Akash

Kiran, we aren't in a battle ground buddy.o nothing comes as challenge. I am seriously doubting the sensibilities of feature distribution of Maruti in present times. As a personal opinion I feel a 6 lac rupee car should have following features.
[:)]

-How many other cars are having push start button for this price?

* Adjustable headrests (F and R). Even a Lxi Variant of Wagon R has them.
Ya, thats a cost cutting.

* Legroom (Far better in Lxi Wagon R)
-hmm.. I think One doesn't need to look at this car if he/she is not ok with the space. Because, no one can actually sacrifice the space that he/she actually requires.

* ABS and 1 Airbag should be present in Zdi also.
-Ya, I agree. But most of the other brands are also doing the same. You must have seen my examples.

* Why not Maruti gave an AMT to Zdi or Zdi (o)? If they can provide it in petrol then why not in Diesel?
-Point, thats a big question.

-OMG, brother thats overwhelmingly too greedy[surprise] AFAIK even the 13lac honda city doesn't have disc brakes in the rear.

*Considering that there is a difference of a Lac in petrol and diesel Celerio, won't it be sensible on Maruti's part to at least make above features available in mentioned variants?
-A one pot and 200cc lesser beat diesel compared to its petrol model is costlier by .85Lac.
So msil must have thought, a one pot and 200cc lesser celerio Diesel priced at 75k more must be acceptable.

Regards.,

Thread Starter #55

Akash1886

Honoured Member
-How many other cars are having push start button for this price?
Why not a 1st in segment just like Hyundai does? What was the harm in it if they could have given it in Zdi (o)? If you may remember, Celerio was the 1st to have an AMT. Just like that this added option could have made a difference.

-OMG, brother thats overwhelmingly too greedy AFAIK even the 13lac honda city doesn't have disc brakes in the rear.
Atleast Honda City gets an ABS. This Celerio does not even get ABS till Zdi. In Zdi or Zdi (o) they could have provided it.

-A one pot and 200cc lesser beat diesel compared to its petrol model is costlier by .85Lac.
So msil must have thought, a one pot and 200cc lesser celerio Diesel priced at 75k more must be acceptable.
See Kiran, I'll tell you, pricing a diesel vehicle higher than its petrol version is ok after all its giving more mileage than petrol. But, if we compare the refinement part, then Beat Diesel is way more refined and justifies to be priced at premium than its petrol version. Coming to Celerio, as a layman, if I ignore everything else, I still would not pay a premium of 75K over petrol Celerio and take home this pump set engine.

Regards

Akash

Why not a 1st in segment just like Hyundai does? What was the harm in it if they could have given it in Zdi (o)? If you may remember, Celerio was the 1st to have an AMT. Just like that this added option could have made a difference.
Hehe, that pushstart button feature is in the grand i10 Asta variant which costs 7-8Lac isn't it?
Similary, why dont hyundai decides to put an auto transmission into this?

Atleast Honda City gets an ABS. This Celerio does not even get ABS till Zdi. In Zdi or Zdi (o) they could have provided it.
Buddy, the reason for mentioning honda city is to show the extend that even high end premium entry level sedan doesn't have this disc brakes in the rear. That doesn't mean it can compete with its other features.
Have a look in to most of the other hatchbacks which are available in its similar price range.
Now about the ABS, hyundai doesn't offer abs or two airbags or rear wiper for its 5lac worth 1L 3 pot petrol engine Eon isn't it? Is that a very spacious and roomier car?

See Kiran, I'll tell you, pricing a diesel vehicle higher than its petrol version is ok after all its giving more mileage than petrol. But, if we compare the refinement part, then Beat Diesel is way more refined and justifies to be priced at premium than its petrol version. Coming to Celerio, as a layman, if I ignore everything else, I still would not pay a premium of 75K over petrol Celerio and take home this pump set engine.
I agree with your about its refinement level.

As Mr.FD said, like there are several people you doesn't use AC even though their car offers it, since they consider it as a luxury, for such people Datson go is a perfect car. Since they dont need to shed extra money for the feature that they don't need. Likewise there will be people who don't care about the NVH, and just required a new cheapest diesel car and doesn't care about the new features like pushstart button or rear disc brakes. In short, people who believes in 'the main purpose of a vehicle is a means of transportation.' May feel, its better to go ahead with this pump set, since this is the cheapest diesel car which offer better fuel efficiency.[lol]

Regards.,

Last edited:
@Akash1886

One way or the other, those features you have been talking about was never considered by other brands. Reason is us! Yes. When igen-i20 introduced Asta(O) with 6 Airbags and ABS etc., how many did they managed to sell? And IIRC, they did had rear disc. The problem was, people happily paid a big money to get VXi/VDi when they can easily get Z! And that is where brands started concentrating on giving us blings and removed safety aspects one by one! So we should not blame MSIL for this,.

But regarding push start, yeah, it should have been there in ZDi & option!

This! This is not something a laymen would understand. For him, it is Maruthi, and diesel and mileage. So people who are supposed to be fooled by this tactics, will get fooled. And there are other category, informed buyers. They know the drawbacks and everything, but still they prefer this as their city runabouts. Because, come on, MSIL service is somewhere where Chevvy can only dream about. Apart from these categories, I don't think it will appeal to anyone else!

Thread Starter #58

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Hehe, that pushstart button feature is in the grand i10 Asta variant which costs 7-8Lac isn't it?
Hi Kiran, I solely believe in the formula of having a USP over others in league. Celerio Diesel is one car which if Maruti had paid attention to initially, could have been a success too. In lesser price, if they would have provided a option of push-button then it could have been a sort of advantage.

Now about the ABS, hyundai doesn't offer abs or two airbags or rear wiper for its 5lac worth 1L 3 pot petrol engine Eon isn't it? Is that a very spacious and roomier car?
Kiran, Hyundai or for that matter any brand is not to be treated as benchmark. If you have to compete against a competitor then your product should have something that creates an edge over the other. So if Hyundai does not give ABS to its car then that does not mean Maruti should follow the same and not provide the ABS or Airbag in their cars too. As of the roominess, even after having great interiors, EON's design was slightly flawed because the boot that it has was comparatively big in volume and space for a small car. Hyundai could have used a bit of space of boot and increased the rear space.

@Akash1886

One way or the other, those features you have been talking about was never considered by other brands. Reason is us! Yes. When igen-i20 introduced Asta(O) with 6 Airbags and ABS etc., how many did they managed to sell? And IIRC, they did had rear disc. The problem was, people happily paid a big money to get VXi/VDi when they can easily get Z! And that is where brands started concentrating on giving us blings and removed safety aspects one by one! So we should not blame MSIL for this.
I agree and because of this ill-informed nature we at present have the worst mid-range models from Maruti Suzuki. However, the points and opinions about the probable features which could be included in top end Celerio Diesel is definitely personal. Its a pity that we have very few informed and intelligent people in the Indian buyer base who actually don't give importance to brand name and accept their crap. There are very few people who actually do know how to buy the right car.

Regards.

Akash

Last edited:
One way or the other, those features you have been talking about was never considered by other brands. Reason is us! Yes. When igen-i20 introduced Asta(O) with 6 Airbags and ABS etc., how many did they managed to sell? And IIRC, they did had rear disc. The problem was, people happily paid a big money to get VXi/VDi when they can easily get Z! And that is where brands started concentrating on giving us blings and removed safety aspects one by one! So we should not blame MSIL for this,.
And here unlike other cars, all the four wheels of this i20 have abs feature isn't it? Is there any cars with rear drum brakes having abs?

Similarly when Ford Ecosport provide 6 airbags in its top variant, Mahindra scorpio failed to do so.
Unless the safety features are made mandatory, we cant accept every brands to take interest to give more safety features especially since the people doesn't like to pay more for it.

EDITS

Kiran, Hyundai or for that matter any brand is not to be treated as benchmark. If you have to compete against a competitor then your product should have something that creates an edge over the other. So if Hyundai does not give ABS to its car then that does not mean Maruti should follow the same and not provide the ABS or Airbag in their cars too. As of the roominess, even after having great interiors, EON's design was slightly flawed because the boot that it has was comparatively big in volume and space for a small car. Hyundai could have used a bit of space of boot and increased the rear space.
@Akash, You missed something.
HEre the point is, even when eon doesn't offer abs, airbags or rear wiper for its 5Lac worth car. Unlike the hyundai, Maruti does offer.

Last edited:
FD,What is the point in having a push start? I would say instead of that put that money in to safety standards. If mass produced ABS will not cost more than 5K per car. Couldn't that be done by these guys. I had already talked about the pricing strategy and the issues in Celerio VXi which was costing 5.2.lacs OTR.What Maruti should have done is to make this car truly for this new age.They can provide one bare bones model.Then after they must provide ABS and Air bag as standard from there and above.
Celerio is mysteriously overpriced.With no new technological aspect just for the sake of a new model they priced it higher than Wagon R.Heavily over crowded segment with Alto K 10,Wagon R ,Stingray maruti kept this model high thinking they will sell the automated version.Remember all these vehicles uses the same engine. This itself shows Maruti is "deeply" concerned with people getting safety standards as almost none of them have ABS in ordinary trims.

Top Bottom