Maruti Suzuki Baleno Hatchback: Technical Issues & Solutions

Hey guys,
Didn't take out my car for 2 months due to the Corona Pandemic, had to do an emergency run this week, there was a creaking noise from the rear wheel initially but the trip went fine.

Once back home, I reapplied the handbrake to wash the car on a slope, the rear wheels were locked and releasing the handbrake did nothing! Before applying the handbrake, I noticed the parking brake lever wasn't moving all the way up, more like 1/3rd the way until I applied a bit more force which might've caused the wheel lock up.

I booked an appointment with the MASS, Maruti guys came to my home and freed up the rear wheels by hitting the rear drums, inspected the cable which apparently is rusted now and needs a replacement. I was advised to do a 5-7km trip everytime after washing the car to stop this from happening in the future, is this for real? I don't use the parking brake for parking purposes, instead I leave it in the reverse gear on a flat ground.

The car is 4 year old, do I need to lookout for anything else or replacing the cable will suffice?

Why did they hit the rear drums? (I don't think that is the correct method for removing a brake jam)

Once in my Wagon R, the handbrake had got jammed, and our trusted Mechanic, Mr.Jeevan, had neatly first checked with the handbrake assy. first and then he did something(I was 14year old, so am not sure), but I am 00% sure that he hadn't hit the drums, to free the jamming.

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Why did they hit the rear drums? (I don't think that is the correct method for removing a brake jam)
It happened to me also. My previous car (Alto K10) also got jammed like this and I called the mechanic who came with a big hammer along with other tools. The moment he reached my home just hit the back left tyre and then the right side tyre and the hand brake got released.

Last month, My Tigor had a similar problem and I myself did the same thing - hit the right rear tyre couple of times and the brake got released. The reason, according to the mechanic, front brakes are Disc and the rear one is Drum. Drum brakes always get stuck like this in wet conditions?

@Suryaputhra Sir, can you help me with the part number of Baleno 2015 handbrake cable assy.? Thanks!
I will let you know tomorrow. The correct procedure to release struck brake pads or discs is one should spar brake pad cleaner spray in the holes on the brake drum or directly on discs should wait for some time and try this procedure resemble struck pads or discs.

I got my car fixed today, Total cost Rs. 2750 inc. labor+GST (Rs. 1900 for handbrake cable, bolt).

They ended up damaging the clips that hold the gear knob leather, now the leather just juts out and exposes the the gearbox below and looks ugly as hell! How much does the center console plastic cost? Also the part number would be great to have.
center.jpg

@Suryaputhra Apparently they left an adapter unplugged, the part number is 39460M68P00, is it possible to know it's purpose? I've plugged the adapter back in after opening the center console the correct way (without damaging the frigging clips using brute force like local MASS guys)

Last edited:
I got my car fixed today, Total cost Rs. 2750 inc. labor+GST (Rs. 1900 for handbrake cable, bolt).

They ended up damaging the clips that hold the gear knob leather, now the leather just juts out and exposes the the gearbox below and looks ugly as hell! How much does the center console plastic cost? Also the part number would be great to have. View attachment 281178

@Suryaputhra Apparently they left an adapter unplugged, the part number is 39460M68P00, is it possible to know it's purpose? I've plugged the adapter back in after opening the center console the correct way (without damaging the frigging clips using brute force like local MASS guys)
Post the image of the adapter it is difficult to find part based on part no in hard book.

https://boodmo.com/catalog/part-harness_assy_socket-6774052/

It's a Harness Assy Socket , I think Surya sir can explain the purpose of this part.
@Suryaputhra
Yep, It's the one in the link posted.

Anyway, a new issue has popped up. It appears the local MASS guys tightened the handbrake a bit too much, it now fully engages 1/3rd the way, way less travel needed now than it originally did. Both the rear wheels were showing resistance to movement, right more than the left.I pointed it to the workshop manager right away.

I was told the wheels would move freely once the "leather shoes" (brake pads) loosen up which may take 5-7kms of driving, the car now has now run 120KM and the problem has worsen. There's a non-uniform resistance across both the rear wheels as if the wheels were unbalanced. Half the wheel rotation has more resistance than the other half, this applies to both the rear wheels.

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
there was a creaking noise from the rear wheel initially but back home, I reapplied the handbrake to wash the car on a slope, the rear wheels were locked and releasing the handbrake did nothing
car is 4 year old, do I need to lookout for anything else or replacing the cable will suffice?
Looks like the service center changed the cable unnecessarily. 4 years is not a long time. Cables last far longer than that. It only required full loosening followed by readjustment and cleaning. Even now it requires only that and nothing else !!
Any way what's done is done.look out for the heating in rear drums. Touch them carefully after a long drive. Continuous braking will heat them very much and deacrease the life of the brakes and the associated parts.

Last edited:
@Suryaputhra Hi sir. I have Baleno zeta 1.3 2017. 20days ago my car got stuck in the water and water entered into the footwell. I tried to start the car and all electronics started blinking and the car was not starting. I called my mechanic and he cleaned the air filter, intercooler, turbo, and the car started and running fine. I have a few electric problems in my car now.
1. Airbag light
2. center lock light keeps blinking
3. Speed-sensing auto door lock not working.
I am thinking if the airbag wiring is shorted or what can be the damage.
The service center guys are not helping because I think they are fearing that they will be unable to rectify the issue.
Please guide me on what should be done. Can you provide me the wiring diagram for the airbag?

@Suryaputhra Hi sir. I have Baleno zeta 1.3 2017. 20days ago my car got stuck in the water and water entered into the footwell. I tried to start the car and all electronics started blinking and the car was not starting. I called my mechanic and he cleaned the air filter, intercooler, turbo, and the car started and running fine. I have a few electric problems in my car now.
1. Airbag light
2. center lock light keeps blinking
3. Speed-sensing auto door lock not working.
I am thinking if the airbag wiring is shorted or what can be the damage.
The service center guys are not helping because I think they are fearing that they will be unable to rectify the issue.
Please guide me on what should be done. Can you provide me the wiring diagram for the airbag?
Let them OBD scan first, post the error codes here. Based on that we will decide what to do.

Top Bottom