Maruti Gypsy or Maruti Grand Vitara?

Thread Starter #1
Hi guys,

i was planning to buy second hand diesel fiesta but now i have changed my plan .

now i am thinking about new gypsy or second hand grand vitara(2007-2008)

I need 4X4 in petrol only so within 4-8L this two SUV comes i think.

i did talked to dealer about new gypsy he told me i can get it within 2week but only white for other colour waiting would 2-6month and also i need to make gypsy ride bit comfortable for my use and add AC . SO total gypsy might cost me around or less 7L

Now about GV i can get it for 7L 2007 or 2008 model . Why GV as its weight less and lot of +ve comment about its off-road capability

now about maintenance
Gypsy will easy on pocket and as well as outside mechanic can fix it .

About GV i have no idea . but being expensive car i think maintenance will be high or some what near safari . i am just guessing by seeing ex-showroom price of this car . As more expensive is the more expensive is its maintenance

so what do you guys think .

I need car for next 5years

350Z

Core Team
This is going to be a tough call. But the choice totally depends upon you. You know both the cars have one thing in common – that is off road capability but the design and comfort characteristics are different. The Gypsy is a car which you can drive trouble / tension free on bad terrain but Grand Vitara’s spares could be a little pricey in comparison because the car is not manufactured here and so the parts. However, it’s important to note that you can accommodate comfortably in long journey in Vitara even if the terrain is not favourable. I’ve been also looking for some Vitara M/T in Delhi but my budget is relatively less (Max. 6 Lakhs). The only cheapest one I found was costing Rs.6.5 Lakhs. Although, in your budget – I’d not say the car is a bad deal and you will be able to find some almost new like examples quite easily but another problem is that availability of this car is not so good in second hand car market.

Drive Safe,
350Z

if you want a true offroader then it is a gypsy but if you also want to travel on highways thrn it is to be gv

Thread Starter #4
This is going to be a tough call. But the choice totally depends upon you. You know both the cars have one thing in common – that is off road capability but the design and comfort characteristics are different. The Gypsy is a car which you can drive trouble free on bad terrain but Grand Vitara’s spares could be a little pricey in comparison because the car is not manufactured here and so the parts. However, it’s important to note that you can accommodate comfortably in long journey in Vitara even if the terrain is not favourable. I’ve been also looking for some Vitara M/T in Delhi but my budget is relatively less (Max. 6 Lakhs). The only cheapest one I found was costing Rs.6.5 Lakhs. Although, in your budget – I’d not say the car is a bad deal and you will be able to find some almost new like examples quite easily but another problem is that availability of this car is not so good in second hand car market.

Drive Safe,
350Z
information till now i have gathered is that most of its parts are same as SX4 as these two share same parts in 80% case though i haven't found single owner who had big problem with this car . One of GV owner told me that engine might need work after 1.50L KM till then no major work .

Even that owner after completing 2.10L KM is now buying new model grand vitara 2.4 . So seeing his faith in this car . i got interested . this car could be reliable

hey 350z [angel] by any chance you know any one in maruti ? need little help
also if you get to know any vitara 2007-2008 let me know .

if you want a true offroader then it is a gypsy but if you also want to travel on highways thrn it is to be gv
i want mix breed

I would say go for a Grand Vitara. It will serve the purpose of off roading as well as comfortable cruising.
As for the spare, i agree it shares the spare with SX4, and the availability is not an issue.

Thread Starter #6
I would say go for a Grand Vitara. It will serve the purpose of off roading as well as comfortable cruising.
As for the spare, i agree it shares the spare with SX4, and the availability is not an issue.
that's main reason i am trying to find a person in maruti who can confirm it regarding parts but till now no luck [frustration]

i hope 350z know some one

350Z

Core Team
information till now i have gathered is that most of its parts are same as SX4 as these two share same parts in 80% case though i haven't found single owner who had big problem with this car . One of GV owner told me that engine might need work after 1.50L KM till then no major work.
I think that is a reasonable amount of kilometers after which any engine will require a basic overhauling job.

hey 350z by any chance you know any one in maruti ? need little help
Can you elaborate on what kind of help you're seeking for?

also if you get to know any vitara 2007-2008 let me know.
Sure will.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #8
Can you elaborate on what kind of help you're seeking for?

Drive Safe,
350Z
i mean if you know someone in maruti then it will become easy if i find good vitara then before going there i can ask maruti person whom you might know about print out of whole history of car service as now days all ASS computer data is central so i can get information from any ASS

also please let me know any vitara of 2008-2010 . As suggestion from other mechanic i have removed 2007 .

now few update from my side

regarding parts
local mechanic has said it might be difficult to source major parts so if any major work required only ASS can do .
also got information that suspension work only cost 13K [clap] in ASS atleast better then 20k of safari

if parts are required then i have to wait atleast 2week as none ASS keep them in stock . all parts comes from Japan atleast that's what ASS people told me .

Hmmm so much twists in your tale! I think Vitara will suit your needs perfectly as you are looking for both off-roading and also highway drives. Spares might be expensive for some parts , but since you are saying the vehicle is highly reliable that should not bother you.

Thread Starter #10
i am not saying its reliable but what i am getting information around .

Bad news asked few GV owners in other countries . most of them said that GV and sx4 hardly share any parts forget major parts

definately grand vitara it is! but maybe you can also wait for new safari or used ford endeavour. what say??

350Z

Core Team
Sure I'll let you know as soon as I come across some reliable Vitara.

Bad news asked few GV owners in other countries . most of them said that GV and sx4 hardly share any parts forget major parts
Right now, all I can think of the parts which they share is steering wheel and nothing major of course.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #13
that's the main problem i am worrying about . like maintaining safari isn't difficult as parts are easy to find . will let you know what my search comes up before set my mind which one to go

vitara or camero clone or 2 door hummer clone

Thread Starter #14
want 2007 or 2008 Grand Vitara

Hi there,
if any body know any body selling 2007 and 2008 grand vitara please let me know as soon as possible possible before 15july ya am bit hurry

Also i request member to give me idea what thing should i look for while checking out car

Thread Starter #15
Re: want 2007 or 2008 Grand Vitara

ok guys i found 2008 AT grand vitara 38k completed . seller is asking 10L but i am thinking of offering him 6L as its 4years old car . what things should say him so that i can get my dream 4X4 SUV:biggrin:

Top Bottom