Maruti Ertiga VS Mahindra Xylo

Which is better?

• Total voters

350Z

Core Team
Between two, Mahindra Xylo is likely to remain an undisputed champion. It will continue to serve heavy-duty sector in the rural and urban areas alike. However, from a family point of view - Ertiga makes more sense. It’s compact, sophisticated design and value for money aspect is going to appeal a large amount of buyers. It is also likely to attract the hotel industry where the sophistication is much preferred. This is one of the reasons why Innova is seen over Xylo serving in various hotels to pick and drop the clients. Now Ertiga is almost compact version of it at an affordable price tag. I, for one, would definitely pick Ertiga for my own use.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Here is a variant-wise nice comparison between Ertiga-Xylo-Innova.

Source- Oncars

Base variants:
Compare Maruti Suzuki Ertiga LDi BS IV Vs Mahindra Xylo 2012 D2-BS 4 Vs Toyota Innova 2012 2.5 G (Diesel) 7 BS-IV | Compare Cars at OnCars.in

Mid-variants:
Compare Maruti Suzuki Ertiga VDi BS IV Vs Mahindra Xylo 2012 E4-ABS BS 4 Vs Toyota Innova 2012 2.5 GX (Diesel) 7 BS-IV | Compare Cars at OnCars.in

Top variants:
Compare Maruti Suzuki Ertiga ZDi BS IV Vs Mahindra Xylo 2012 E9-BS 4 Vs Toyota Innova 2012 2.5 VX (Diesel) 7 BS-IV | Compare Cars at OnCars.in

Except for top variants, which the cabbies anyways do not go for, Xylo & Innova would be the preferred ones for cabbies.

LDi & VDi are priced higher in my opinion.

I dont think we can compare Ertiga to Xylo/Innova since, Ertiga is a 5+2 seater where as Xylo/Innova are a 7 seater

logic : Can we compare Sx4 to a Laura ? just because both are of same type and can accomaodate 5. NOPE! Makes sense....????
very well said.....

this new maruti product is again a cheap option of innova.

Q comes to my mind -

Why should I buy Ertiga ? [thinking]

Actual seating capacity is of 4/5 persons only. The 2 seats at back are for kids.
No use for these seats for me. I would rather opt for better sedan.

If I want 7 seater, I will opt for Innova & not Ertiga.

Ertiga is nothing more than a station wagon or estate with 2 dinky seats.
It makes sense to buy if one plans to remove the 3rd row of seats & put Ottoman seats in 2nd row complete with legrests & 120 deg incline.

Ertiga cannot be compared with xylo. It is in a league of it's own and people shall buy it for many reasons such as city drivability, maruti ASS, fiat engine etc. If number of seats was the only criterion, the omni8 seater should also be in the fray.
Maruti never produced showstoppers and ertiga is the same. Maybe i am not far off in saying that ertiga looks like a extended 7 seater ritz. It will appeal to many.

Now Ertiga is almost compact version of it at an affordable price tag. I, for one, would definitely pick Ertiga for my own use.

Drive Safe,
350Z
+1, Ertiga is anyday better than Xylo for personal use because of its better driving conditions in city limits, better handler than Xylo has it's not using LOF chassis, Performance(D) would serve the purpose well with VGT tech and somewhat okay when come compared to the Xylo's MDi CRDe engine.

I don't know why everyone is saying that Ertiga's last row is strictly for kids. [confused]
I'm 6 ft tall and I was able to sit comfortably in the last row(only thigh support was missing to match innova's comfort),rest everything was perfect, headroom,legroom,width too and you can even fit 3 slim persons(not kids[lol] in the last row. Mid seats were slided almost the half and for people of my height,there was enough legroom to sit comfortably for long drives(much better than of swift's and dzire's!)
Even its a/c is very powerful and we were 5 on board and it was picking up well and was riding almost like the new dzire with more power felt after the turbo surges in....
I have a 2008 Innova and there isn't too much difference in interior space until and unless you always extend your legs full fwd..
Please see and test the car yourself,its a great product acc. to me! [cheers]

I don't know why everyone is saying that Ertiga's last row is strictly for kids. [confused]
I'm 6 ft tall and I was able to sit comfortably in the last row(only thigh support was missing to match innova's comfort),rest everything was perfect, headroom,legroom,width too and you can even fit 3 slim persons(not kids[lol] in the last row. Mid seats were slided almost the half and for people of my height,there was enough legroom to sit comfortably for long drives(much better than of swift's and dzire's!)
Even its a/c is very powerful and we were 5 on board and it was picking up well and was riding almost like the new dzire with more power felt after the turbo surges in....
I have a 2008 Innova and there isn't too much difference in interior space until and unless you always extend your legs full fwd..
Please see and test the car yourself,its a great product acc. to me! [cheers]
Hello Saby, can you snap a picture of you sitting in the last row and stretching the legs? If Ertiga has good space in the last row, then Xylo has oodles of space where the seats of middle row need not to be pushed forward to make space for the last row.

A detailed analysis from my side -

Yesterday, I did a back to back comparo of the Xylo and the Ertiga. First lets talk about the diesel Ertiga as the Xylo does not come with petrol.

Diesel Ertiga comes in 3 variants - LDi, VDi and Zdi. When comparing the specs-

Ertiga VDi compares with Xylo D4:
* Ertiga VDi has ABS whereas Xylo does not have.
* Ertiga VDi has front & rear fog light which Xylo does not have.
* Xylo does not have a music system.

BUT, Xylo is cheaper by Rs. 71,500/-.

Alternatively, you can even compare the Ertiga VDi with Xylo E4:
* Xylo comes with a much more powerful mEagle engine.
* Xylo comes with rear wash & wipe, Ertiga does not.
* Xylo does not have music system, Ertiga has.
* Both cars have ABS (optional in Xylo).
* Xylo does not have body coloured bumpers.

Even here, the Xylo E4 with optional ABS is cheaper than Ertiga VDi by Rs. 13400/-. For this money, you can paint the bumpers in body colour at the A.S.S. itself!

It only when we compare the top end Xylo E8 (with optional ABS and Airbags) with the Ertiga Zdi, the Xylo turns out to be more expensive by Rs. 46000/-. But we all know how fully loaded the top end Xylo is when compared to the Ertiga. So, those 46k is totally worth it.

Some salient points -

* All diesel variants in Ertiga come with ABS + EBD as standard!
* Prices mentioned are ex-showroom, Mumbai.
* Prices of of BS IV Xylo are considered. Please note that Xylo also comes in BS III variants, which would push prices further down.
* For obvious reasons, we are not comparing the Xylo E9 with the mHawk engine with the Ertiga!
* Please note that I have not test driven the Ertiga, so I cant comment on the space, ride & handling. But by the looks of it, I can assume that space would be much better in the Xylo whereas ride & handling of Ertiga will be much better.

Conclusion :

Who would I buy an Ertiga? I am getting a bigger vehicle (Xylo) with more space, more power & equivalent features for lesser money... Also, Mahindras can withstand more abuse than Suzukis.

If I am a city dweller who rarely venture out on the highways & want a compact yet versatile city car, then the Ertiga makes a lot of sense. Also, Xylo does not have a petrol engine. The petrol Ertiga costs 6.23 Lacs ex showroom Mumbai. Makes a lot of sense for someone with a tight budget and low running.

IMHO, I feel only the petrol Ertiga makes sense because of its low purchase price. As soon as we consider the diesel Ertiga, the value of money Xylo seems to be a better bet, for someone who is looking at a 7 seater MUV. Ertiga should be basically used as a 5 seater car with great luggage space or in some rare occasions, 2 more people squeezed in. Can we actually call it a people mover? I guess NO.

Last edited:
Sorry friends, a slight error -

Alternatively, you can even compare the Ertiga VDi with Xylo E4:
* Xylo comes with a much more powerful mEagle engine.
* Xylo comes with rear wash & wipe, Ertiga does not.
* Xylo does not have music system, Ertiga has.
* Both cars have ABS (optional in Xylo).
* Xylo does not have body coloured bumpers.

Even here, the Xylo E4 with optional ABS is cheaper than Ertiga VDi by Rs. 13400/-. For this money, you can paint the bumpers in body colour at the A.S.S. itself!
All variants of the Xylo, except D2, comes with body coloured bumpers.

So that makes the Xylo even more value for money. So, for that Rs. 13400/-, you can have an aftermarket music system!

First of all,someone please clarify if Ertiga is a front wheel drive or rear wheel drive.Why?Because this is going to make a lot of difference,especially while driving on hilly roads.
After that I'll lay ahead my views..

WTF..front wheel drive.
Okay,then its the Xylo for me any day.

Why?
In Xylo I'll get more space,more power,more DISPLACEMENT(Ertiga is 1248 cc while Xylo is a 2.6),ease of driving(not handling,but by engine manners) and definitely my passengers are going to be far more happy.

I am still thinking how will the Ertiga behave while going uphill with seven passengers on board?Its a front wheel drive car,so while going uphill you can't play the burst of power game with this car as its front wheels will loose the grip then(because most of the weight of the car will be on the rear wheels and on accelerating further weight shift will worsen the situation).
In other words,this car is not meant to be driven on hills,especially in rainy season or icy roads.
Although front wheel drives are good for icy roads but they are good only till the weight is on the front wheels.
The small engine is forced to produce such power and pull such a vehicle,no issue.in fact I can believe that Ertiga will have,better acceleration and FE than Xylo(No doubt MS is perfect in adjusting gear ratios),but what is going to compromise those:-
1):1350 cc.
2):Wider tyres.
3):More space.
4):Will this engine have the top end jest of a mEagle(I find its top end best in class)
And many more...

Top Bottom