Maruti Alto K10 VXi vs Hyundai Santro GLS

Thread Starter #1
I am on lookout for a small and practical car (read minimum problem car-- ). So when ever I get a chance I always try to see all small cars. I have decided to stick to a petrol car.

I had almost finalized alto k10 vxi. However, today I had been to Hyundai to get my car i10 auto serviced for its 30k paid service. There was a new Santro gls parked next to my car. So I went inside and noticed these things,

1. Santro was easy to get in and out.
2. Engine bay was well layout (similar to alto k10)
3. Interiors were better than k10

Things not known so far,
1. Performance of santro
2. Over all cost of ownership with santro
3. Mileage of santro as all hyundai cars are really bad in mileage space

So my real question is, should I still consider santro after bad experience with hyundai and can santro be a real competitor for alto k10?

Re: Alto k10 vxi Vs Santro gls

The santro has one of the best low end torque engines. Very well suited for city. Awesome brakes, and is roomier than the K10. If u can cringe a bit on the handling and fun to drive part, santro anyday over the alto.

The Santro has Hydraulic Power Steering Alto has EPS. EPS takes less load on the engine and i think after 60kmph it cuts off.

The k10 engine is good, less on maintenance as the MASS says. even the initial 1000km oil change is not required. Of the 4k10 cars of MS alto is the lightest so will have better FE, power to weight ration etc.

And if you are going for alto don't settle for lxi go for vxi

@ Santro owners, no offence. My uncle bought a second hand Santro after hearing so much about it. the FE was terrible and the drive quality was not much good too. he sold it and bought a new Bolero. One good thing about Santro is the re-sale value. He was able to sell it 2k more than he bought it!!

If you want pocket rocket then just go for k10 blindly.
We have k10 also, and I feel that k10 is quite ahead of my Zen in terms of Performance + Handling + suspension + Seating + good AC
and Even it has big boot space which car carry 1 person (Not recmended)!
It is very easy to drive in city traffic and also on Highways. 100+ is quite possible and it remains stable at 100 kmph.
Only issue I see is little less space at back bench and very checkp quality plastic interior.
Check out new 'Alto k10' xplore is total VFM loaded with Power windows + Music system
I have driven santro very less hence cant comment anything.

Thread Starter #5
I have also heard about mileage of 11-12 in city. If the mileage is so low then it's a problem. However the interiors are well laid out in santro. If anyone can throw light on ASS costs then that would be really helpful.

johan

Suspended
Hi amiti
I my opinion Hyundai Santro GLS will be better than that of Alto as their mileage is all most same and frankly speaking if you check out the Hyundai EON then you will find some socking result as this car is giving impressive mileage of 17.3kmpl, 814cc engine and price is little more from the alto k10.

If Mileage is your main concern then head straight for Alto K10,But maybe cramped interiors feels uncomfortable for older people and they find these cars disturbing to get in and out,so if your father rides the car then Santro would be good,why not tuck in The Eon? It has a tallboy design and an engine which is fuel efficient.Maybe a spoil sport in performance but could do well in the city.
The city FE would be round 13-15,As told by my friend who owned an used santro(now an 800),The hyundai spares are cheaper than Maruti,

Thread Starter #8
If Mileage is your main concern then head straight for Alto K10,But maybe cramped interiors feels uncomfortable for older people and they find these cars disturbing to get in and out,so if your father rides the car then Santro would be good,why not tuck in The Eon?
On the comfort part I agree that santro is much better. It has a tallboy design and an engine which is fuel efficient.Maybe a spoil sport in performance but could do well in the city.
Eon is out of my list. Didn't like it.
The city FE would be round 13-15,As told by my friend who owned an used santro(now an 800),
If FE is @14 in city with 100% AC on then, its worth looking at santro.The hyundai spares are cheaper than Maruti,
Well thats a news for me that hyundai spares are cheaper than maruti
So let's see.

Have driven the K10. The engine has a fundamental lack of low end torque. Needs revving to get moving. I personally like it, but older people will like the low rpm response of the santro. Ac is effective, also much roomier. FE is bad. Ac wont give any more than 13-14 in city. K10 will strech it by a couple at least. Hyundai ASS as good as maruti.
BTW, dont own either :P

a friend brought new GL plus santro for his dad and is very happy with his choice of car.Best for elderly people to get in and our of tall boy car, ease on front view to drive compared to alto/M800, not too much of difference in city mileage, gets aproxx 14kmpl.

hey buddy me and you traveling in a same boat i also got hyudai i 10 in nov 2008 asta(o) and run 80000 kms in less then 3 years in it but neaver got average more then 15 normaly i got 12 - 13kmpl ,as iam living in hilly area may be an excuse , so i need other car only for better mileage and we need 2nd vehicle in our family then i got alto k10 vxi in black i love the car its gives 18 kmpl [shock] in city run, and also intial pickup and 0 to 100 is fast , but only think which i hate is space and cramped leg room we usually use our alto only for day to day purpose not for long trips as its bit uncomfortable as we are of family of 6fters .
santro is full of space and with great handling and initial pick up , i usually drives my friend santro only thing where santro lacks is fuel efficiency
Things not known so far,
1. Performance of santro (handling and pick is nice )
2. Over all cost of ownership with santro(its Hyundai and i think we both know it )
3. Mileage of santro as all hyundai cars are really bad in mileage space( yes wright mileage is always an concern for Hyundai car and same with santro)

Thread Starter #12
I agree with you regarding mileage of all hyundai petrol cars. It's less than most of other cars.

I think I should have put Wagon R vxi ABS Vs Alto k10 vxi.

Only con in wagonR is the body roll. I need a car which is stable on highways. Can this be solved in wagonR by putting wider tires?

BUDDY acctually i don't like wagonr my self , tall boy image lead to body roll
hey you can consider a astar ?

@amiti- Why not another i10?[;)]
On a more serious note, AltoK10 will deliver on the grounds of FE, handling, maruti A.S.S. But rear seat leg room is an issue, and so is the plasticky interior.
Santro offers good low end torque. But handling particularly on the highways is a bit off. Also i find the front sears a bit uncomfortable. But thats just me. resale will be good in case of Santro. But that will be good even in alto i guess.
My choice- Alto k10..[:)]
P.S. Using Alto 800cc since the past 3 yrs. Didn't have the k10 at that time.
No issues, touch-wood till date.

Thread Starter #15
@amiti- Why not another i10?[;)]
On a more serious note, AltoK10 will deliver on the grounds of FE, handling, maruti A.S.S. But rear seat leg room is an issue, and so is the plasticky interior.
Santro offers good low end torque. But handling particularly on the highways is a bit off. Also i find the front sears a bit uncomfortable. But thats just me. resale will be good in case of Santro. But that will be good even in alto i guess.
My choice- Alto k10..[:)]
P.S. Using Alto 800cc since the past 3 yrs. Didn't have the k10 at that time.
No issues, touch-wood till date.
Another i10 is like committing suicide, marrying a vampire, etc, due to its long list of issues. Mind well, on Saturday I saw 2 next gen i10's with engine problem, jacked up and engine opened. Dealer had no clue what went wrong. Waiting for inspection from Hyundai folks.

I need a practical, no nonsense car which should have minimum features but should function flawlessly.

So I guess only alto k10 fits the bill. I was considering santro, however loosing confidence in hyundai day by day.

If anyone has any other car in mind please feel free to share your thoughts. A friend on mine has suggested swift zdi, since I travel a lot on highways. But somehow I didn't like the first gen swift. Second gen has a long waiting period.

mumbaikar-- awaiting the parking sticker dude.

Last edited:

Top Bottom