Maruti Alto K10 VXi vs Hyundai Santro GLS

Another i10 is like committing suicide, marrying a vampire, etc, due to its long list of issues.

I need a practical, no nonsense car which should have minimum features but should function flawlessly. .
Amit ,

Have you forgotten that no car is perfect?
Every car has got its own advantages and disadvantages

If you insist on flawless car then you might end giving up. I bet you won’t find any.

So narrow down the available choices and listen to your heart.

Whatever heart suggests is always right decision buddy.[thumbsup]

Thread Starter #17
Amit ,

Have you forgotten that no car is perfect?
Every car has got its own advantages and disadvantages

If you insist on flawless car then you might end giving up. I bet you won’t find any.

So narrow down the available choices and listen to your heart.

Whatever heart suggests is always right decision buddy.[thumbsup]
Yes I agree with you 100% for what you have mentioned. My expectation is that the car should not have serious flaws, for which there is no solution and features given should work properly.

Dear Amit, its so unfortunate that you had a bad incident with Hyundai. Am a Hyundai customer since 8 years. I own a Santro Xing and all these years it have never given me any sort of trouble. I have done numerous long drives with family on this car and the car has never let us down even once. I have nothing against Maruti cars, but if you compare Alto and Santro, anyday I would vote for a Santro. I have driven Alto for almost an year earlier and always felt Santro a level higher. Jotting down some of my experience.

Santro
Pros
* Excellent low end torque
* Better all round visibility
* Tall Boy design - easy ingress and egress
* Minimal loss of power once AC is turned on.
* City Driveability
* Excellent Brakes
* Slick Gearbox
* Good Fuel Economy - 13Kms (City with AC), 18Kms(Highways with AC).
* Impressive Hyundai A.S.S

Cons
* Speeds above 105-110Kms - Handling is not so confidence inspiring.
* Body Roll at higher speeds.
* Backseat comfort - You feel the potholes on bad roads.

Alto
Pros
* City Driveability
* Easy to manouever
* Excellent Maruti A.S.S
* Low cost of ownership and maintenance
* Easily available spare parts.
* Chiller AC

Cons
* Cramped seats
* No leg space in the rear
* Power loss significant once AC switched on.
* Ideal for a family of 2 with small kids (esp for long dis travel).
* Low Ground Clearance.

@carhesd

1. i think alto k10 has a little more GC then older alto.
2. and loss of power with AC is minimal on k10, at least that's what i got from owners,
3. also alto has better FE thank snatro. right?

any k10 owner please confirm this.

Thread Starter #21
I agree, santro will be much easier to drive. However Maruti A.S.S. wins here with complete peace of mind. Also santro's mileage is not so great.

In Pune, it's not only me but every person has got bad experience from Hyundai A.S.S. Two weeks before when I went to Kothari Hyundai, one guy was fighting with the manager over steering rack. They changed his i10's rack and after that his car is seen in garage after every 3-4 days. He has also filed a case in consumer court against the classic "Steering Rattle" and "Low Mileage" issue. Two next gen i10's had engine problems, they didn't had air filter for i10 in stock and no wonder they don't have auto transmission fluid in stock now. One i20's suspension went kaput after only 35k kms. The service guy told me that i10 and i20 are worst cars Hyundai has ever produced This bad is Hyundai in India.

@carhesd

1. i think alto k10 has a little more GC then older alto.
2. and loss of power with AC is minimal on k10, at least that's what i got from owners,
3. also alto has better FE thank snatro. right?

any k10 owner please confirm this.
@Kannan, I agree with your point 3. Alto gives a notch better FE than Santro. If I remember correctly I got around 14Kms in City and 18 Kms on the highways (on the lone long drive I had). But again engine specs of old alto was lower than santro. I have not driven the new K10 exhaustively, so points 1 & 2, any existing owner can given clarify as you said.

I agree, santro will be much easier to drive. However Maruti A.S.S. wins here with complete peace of mind. Also santro's mileage is not so great.

In Pune, it's not only me but every person has got bad experience from Hyundai A.S.S. Two weeks before when I went to Kothari Hyundai, one guy was fighting with the manager over steering rack. They changed his i10's rack and after that his car is seen in garage after every 3-4 days. He has also filed a case in consumer court against the classic "Steering Rattle" and "Low Mileage" issue. Two next gen i10's had engine problems, they didn't had air filter for i10 in stock and no wonder they don't have auto transmission fluid in stock now. One i20's suspension went kaput after only 35k kms. The service guy told me that i10 and i20 are worst cars Hyundai has ever produced This bad is Hyundai in India.
Amit, am not sure, is this steering rattle issue present in all Hyundai i20 cars? I came to know about this issue for some of them, but i20 sales figures for Oct (6834) tell a different story. i20 is the second best selling premier hatchback still. But its very surprising to know that even i10 has steering rattle issue, I think its a one case you might have come through, Amit. In Bangalore you can see lots of new i10s and i20s on the road.

@Kannan, I agree with your point 3. Alto gives a notch better FE than Santro. If I remember correctly I got around 14Kms in City and 18 Kms on the highways (on the lone long drive I had). But again engine specs of old alto was lower than santro. I have not driven the new K10 exhaustively, so points 1 & 2, any existing owner can given clarify as you said.
i think 14 and 18 are quite a bit low for Alto. my friend had an old alto1.1 he is a fast driver, he needs just 3hrs to cover 215kms (kochi to trivandrum) with AC, he was getting an avg of 17-18kmpl!

so the 800cc alto should give higher. my brother who needs just 8-9 hrs to reach kottayam from Bangalore got avg 18.
why my 2001-800 5speed gave me 28 on highways and 22-25 on city with AC! sad that i had to part with her.

Thread Starter #24
i think 14 and 18 are quite a bit low for Alto. my friend had an old alto1.1 he is a fast driver, he needs just 3hrs to cover 215kms (kochi to trivandrum) with AC, he was getting an avg of 17-18kmpl!

so the 800cc alto should give higher. my brother who needs just 8-9 hrs to reach kottayam from Bangalore got avg 18.
why my 2001-800 5speed gave me 28 on highways and 22-25 on city with AC! sad that i had to part with her.

Amit, am not sure, is this steering rattle issue present in all Hyundai i20 cars? I came to know about this issue for some of them, but i20 sales figures for Oct (6834) tell a different story. i20 is the second best selling premier hatchback still. But its very surprising to know that even i10 has steering rattle issue, I think its a one case you might have come through, Amit. In Bangalore you can see lots of new i10s and i20s on the road.
Yes I am 100% sure that still the steering rattle persists. Only new cars are provided with bush, pad and spring which prolongs the start of noise. They haven't changed the rack design.

Kannan, 800 5 speed was more drivable and had good fuel efficiency. I had the same 2001 800 5 speed.

Top Bottom