Maruti Alto 2004 (Midnight black BS-II) - A Long Term Report

Thread Starter #1
This is my first thread and it has to be the ownership of our 6 years old Alto.

The car was bought in 2004 and the only other options we had in mind was M800. Why ? -- Budget was tight. Yes, a stage where we could only afford a micro car.
My dad is one super simple person and is satisfied with anything which "does the job". So we initially planned on the M800 AC. But decision was altered when we personally saw the Alto with just a few thousand more. We decided not to compromise. Honestly with 10bhp and a few Kmpl more this car was a better choice. But was it enough ?

No, nothing is enough according to human needs but satisfaction is a factor. We were satisfied and this car never let us down anywhere anytime.

Some information that will amaze you :
1. The car never had an accident (not even a minor one) in 6 years.
2. The first scratch came 5 days ago since the car was bought.
3. Only two things changed due to wear and tear are a pair of wiper blade and the first battery.
4. FE in city has been 17+ ever since (full tank method) and on highways the maximum FE was around 26kmpl. 22+ is a very common affair. (I am a lightfoot driver and never consider the roads of India as Paris Dakar or Le Mans [:D])

The cars has run less though. Around 55000km till date and I intend to keep it until it becomes a vintage. Why will I sell when there is no trouble ? Or there isnt a likelihood of getting into trouble ?

Being an enthusiast I have collected adequate knowledge to keep my car neat and perfect. I use quality Engine oils (API SJ when new and presently API SM oils). The spark plugs are NGK platinum ones. The air filter is stock and is replaced every 6000km or so. Thus my car is healthy inside and plain and simple out side. No modifications, stupid stickers, or fancy lights.

The cars is has been used more on highways as I and my dad both are travel bugs. When I drive the speed never crosses 70kmph. Before I learned to drive, it was chauffeur driven. But the driver was decent and the car was kept under proper care.

Ok, lots said. Now let pics do the talking.

Oh ICE.

1. Pioneer DEH 2950MP
2. JVC CSV414 100w 4'' speakers in front
3. Ultimate 6.5" round 200w 2 way speaker at back

Thats all

great ride and a great mainatainance there sb-alto.
one of my uncle's too owns a dec 2003 model alto lx. and he too has maintained it so well that you could anytime give it a showroom look with just a wash and a coat of wax. not even the slightest of scratches on the body(driven completely in banaglore city, everyday on mysore road peak hour traffic). but last week he had called me and was telling me that some bloody 2 wheeler guy has banged the passenger side door and he was planning to get it repaired.
anyways. i think yours is a alto std(mine too :-)). wishing you a great time with the car and many more happy miles ahead.

That is one simple and nicely maintained Alto! Glad to know that you have not faced a problem but Maruti's are known for reliability right?

Even we had our TATA Sierra very nicely maintained without a single scratch or dent for almost 10 years![thumbsup]

Thread Starter #8
@mukesh

Thanks a lot. Maintaining a black colour is real tough, but alls luck.

@Arkin

What is the use of upgrading ? The system sounds good enough and is more than my requirement. I could do even with 2 speakers. I try focusing on driving rather than Music. So it is rarely used too.

@Sri harsha

Arey, that plastic cover was an optional accessory then. Some cars had it some didnt. Mine was the one without :frown:. It is a LX version. (I guess i missed a rear end photo). Good to hear that you are one more Alto owner.

@cooldhaya

Maruti at its best, but I just wished quality was a notch higher. I envy Hyundai owners. The quality is so much better. But i am one satisfied Maruti Suzuki owner.

Wow, tata sierra owner!! A very few of them. Good to know about this. That was a very good tata product.

Well am a Hyundai owner! Having a Verna CRDI.

Yeah even now i would say Sierra is the best product from TATA'S stable till date. Its solidly built and has the best engine under the hoods. It also had the features like CL , PW , PS etc etc which were not present in many of the cars that time.

@sb-alto
oh is it? actually its still an accessory for the alto std now. the LX and LXi get the cover from the company. actually my uncle's 2003 model LX had the cover. so i thought yours was a std.
and to be precise, there are about 10-12 alto's(most of them are spare cars) in the first circle of my family. out of all the cars only mine is a std version. :-)

Thread Starter #11
The covers and cup holders are strangely distributed across all variants. I have seen LXi without and STD with those. [surprise]

Ok here are some +/- points about my car.

The positives.
1. Super duper FE.
2. Good road feel ( no PS [:D])
3. Good visibility.
4. Nice parking ability due to small size.
5. Rather comfortable front seats.
6. Cheap spares and service cost.
7. Engine does not feel too underpowered actually.

The negatives.
1. Rear seat is a bit cramped
2. Headlights (non clear lens type) are poor + no fogs
3. Boot space could have been better.
4. 145 tyres are too thin
5. Noise damping is poor.
6. Refinement factor is on the downside (although not as bad as TATA cars)
7. Tall gear lever and throws are long.
8. Minimum safety

Excellent pics sb-alto.
The positives.
1. Super duper FE.
I am in love wit the FE. I remember getting a figure of 23kmpl on a 350km stretch while i drove at constant 80-100kmph.

BTW i am an Alto owner too, and mine is also LX. Heres my Ownership Review

A pic of my car(old one when a foggie went kaput)

Attachments

350Z

Core Team
A nicely written ownership review, you have precisely covered most of the points which one expects to learn from a long term report. And yes, how can I miss to mention that she is beautifully maintained, simple, smooth and absolutely chic. However, if you plan to keep it for lifetime, a decent set of alloy wheels should help to keep the looks up-to-date. Enjoy many happy miles with smiles in your car.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Top Bottom