Maruti Alto 0.8 2005 Service Thread

Thread Starter #1
Hi everyone.

First of all I'm very excited to be here and it's my first post so please help me out too. I'm just a noobie.

I'm now a proud owner of an alto LX 2005, The car has been at home for around 12 years now and as time have passed it has seen all the limelight of the scene.
The car has run about 104450 kms.

The reason why I begin this thread is to know about the costs and service charges as the car has been handed over to me by my father.
I'm the current owner of the car and I love it totally.

The car since we bought it has been driven mostly on highways as my father is in the army so he used to take it out on open roads a lot and he cared it well in the initial days but as the days went by he left the car and went to the north east is it was driven by a driver for the duration of three years. After that we came back to delhi in 2009 and this was the time when I learnt driving, The car was serviced nicely for the next 5 years till 2014, After that location changed and dad went to Lucknow and the car didn't get the proper service as per the intervals. It deteriorated with time and now as I have the car there have been lot of problems that have risen.

Recently serviced by me

Shell Helix HX7 10w40
OEM oil filter, Air filter, Fuel filter
New control arms L/R with bushings new with steering rod greased and new ball joints
Clutch plate new, Bearing and Wire
Throttle Body Cleaned
A/C Service Done
New Bumper
NGK spark plugs.

Now the rest work left to be done is
New Windshield
New shockers

With all these done I need help regarding good s reviving guys here in Delhi Near my area Okhla or should I go to MASS. I'm still a student of I'm quite skeptical about the costs and also the things I should consider now as the car is quite old and I intend to keep it for a time as the odo IMO is still good.

What say you guys?
Suggestions please.

The car has run about 104450 kms.
first of all congrats for crossing the milestone.[clap] Mine is only 67500+ KMS

The reason why I begin this thread is to know about the costs and service charges as the car has been handed over to me by my father.
I'm the current owner of the car and I love it totally.
Its cheap compared to new cars,dont worry.

It deteriorated with time and now as I have the car there have been lot of problems that have risen.
What are the problems you are facing now ?

Now the rest work left to be done is
New Windshield
Why new windshield?

New shockers
HERE is the detailed pics and cost incured for replacing shocks in my alto.

With all these done I need help regarding good s reviving guys here in Delhi Near my area Okhla or should I go to MASS. I'm still a student of I'm quite skeptical about the costs and also the things I should consider now as the car is quite old and I intend to keep it for a time as the odo IMO is still good.
I get all the works done at a trusted mechanic here in my city. Never visited service center till date and i would say,get engine related stuffs done at SVC like replacing the timing belt and all, and the rest like shocks,bushes get it done from a good local mechanic. You can find Bush tierod end replacement details and cost HERE.

Thread Starter #3
Hi aneesh. Thanks for viewing and helping out.

Well there are a lot of upgrades and mods I would like to do but I'll get at them slowly slowly.

Well new windshield yes because the old one has scratched out completely and driving at night is impossible as I go blind when someone comes from the front with high beams on.

And the shockers.. Well my all four are gone too but tell me if I just change the struts in front and use the old spring as the MGP dealer in my area said that the springs work out and need Jo replacement. Is it true?

And here you said engine related works,
Should I change the belts now as I guess they've never been changed and also which belts are to be changed? And what other work is done on engine and yes from this service onwards I also started using Shell Helix HX7. Engine is smooth and silent now. :)

Well new windshield yes because the old one has scratched out completely and driving at night is impossible as I go blind when someone comes from the front with high beams on.
You can get it polished from those who works on wind shields. I hope it helps.

And the shockers.. Well my all four are gone too but tell me if I just change the struts in front and use the old spring as the MGP dealer in my area said that the springs work out and need Jo replacement. Is it true?

I replaced the front shocks along with springs, and used old springs along with a bigger bush on the rear to compensate the spring height difference. Chrck those pics brother.

And here you said engine related works,
Should I change the belts now as I guess they've never been changed and also which belts are to be changed? And what other work is done on engine and yes from this service onwards I also started using Shell Helix HX7. Engine is smooth and silent now. :)
I have replaced water pump belt and ac belt some time back as it was slipping and was damaged due to age. I think both costed me under 500rs. Get it replaced, also i think timing belt needs a replacement at 80k or something as per our manual. Do check belts condition. Also dont forget to replace brake fluid and bleed brake liners, clean and grease calipers,check conditions of brake pad, flush and clean radiator and fill new coolant too.

Thread Starter #5
You can get it polished from those who works on wind shields. I hope it helps
Okay sounds like a good idea, There are Windshield experts in my city I'll check with them on know what can happen! Any idea about costs?

I'll also check the shocks.. Well I see those pics and was confused because the springs were smaller but yeah you said they were used with old so yah :)

Any idea how Gabriel are? I'm getting the genuine ones from a dealer here in my city for 1200 a piece. I guess MGP uses the same. [thinking]

I have replaced water pump belt and ac belt some time back as it was slipping and was damaged due to age. I think both costed me under 500rs. Get it replaced, also i think timing belt needs a replacement at 80k or something as per our manual. Do check belts condition. Also dont forget to replace brake fluid and bleed brake liners, clean and grease calipers,check conditions of brake pad, flush and clean radiator and fill new coolant too
So yeah I didn't change the brake fluid as of yet because it was full already, Ill get it done along with bleeding and caliper greasing yeah I did along with new pads TVS. My mechanic said they are best for this? What say you?
And yeah I'll get the belts checked also, I cheated coolant in this service but my radiator is slightly damaged from front, Should I replace? It has gotten inside a bit from front side.

Okay sounds like a good idea, There are Windshield experts in my city I'll check with them on know what can happen! Any idea about costs?
Sorry, No idea about costs though.[frustration]

I'll also check the shocks.. Well I see those pics and was confused because the springs were smaller but yeah you said they were used with old so yah :)
If you have money replace springs too, its a maruti, springs wont cost more than 500rs . lol.

Any idea how Gabriel are? I'm getting the genuine ones from a dealer here in my city for 1200 a piece. I guess MGP uses the same.
Buy gabriel only if you are sure that its 100% genuine or else get MGP, I bought from MGP and i think it wasnt Gabriel.

So yeah I didn't change the brake fluid as of yet because it was full already, Ill get it done along with bleeding and caliper greasing yeah I did along with new pads TVS. My mechanic said they are best for this? What say you?
Not quantity, its about the quality of oil, oil might have deteriorated by now since its been running for a long time. I always buy Brakefluid and brake pads from MGP, mgp pads was around 550rs back when i replaced. MGP gives me peace of mind.[lol]

And yeah I'll get the belts checked also, I cheated coolant in this service but my radiator is slightly damaged from front, Should I replace? It has gotten inside a bit from front side.
Coolant will be there if its not leaking, again not quantity, quality, Replace it with new coolant and water, I hope there is no leaks on the radiator,if so then let it be like that.

Thread Starter #7
That's load of stuff and a ton of info that you got me on this, Thanks a lot buddy for all the help, The Gabriel ones are genuine I inquired and I think I'll but them with the MGP springs, Hope that works well.
And the radiator is fine nothing leaking in from anywhere.. It's all working great!
And I'll remember to change all fluids at time and keep you updated.

That's load of stuff and a ton of info that you got me on this, Thanks a lot buddy for all the help, The Gabriel ones are genuine I inquired and I think I'll but them with the MGP springs, Hope that works well.
And the radiator is fine nothing leaking in from anywhere.. It's all working great!
dont forget to open the rear brake hubs and clean them and check the brake shoes for wear and also check master cylinders and make sure both are working fine, once when i checked mine one of the cylinders was not working and i had to replace it. Around 450rs for one cylinder.

Thread Starter #9
Yeah I'll surely check the brake shoes and get the drum brakes cleaned that's on my list surely and cylinders you say, I don't get it where it is placed and should I get it done at MASS or my local mechanic and also I wanted to ask you about the engine thing, I recently learnt that tappets and Valve adjustment is done in engine, Have you ever checks that done it? Mass is the place for engine right?

hello dear [:)] Alto is very nice car and its very easy to maintain too. As you said you are going to replace all the things which need replacement. one thing which is very important is the timing kit and you should replace it as soon as possible to avoid engine damage. I will suggest you should go for complete service, replace engine oil , gear oil, brake fluid, coolant , spark plugs, oil filter ,air filter, fuel filter ,check suspension bushes, engine mounts, flush radiator etc.

Yeah I'll surely check the brake shoes and get the drum brakes cleaned that's on my list surely and cylinders you say, I don't get it where it is
placed and should I get it done at MASS or my local mechanic
Its a simple job, no need to go to service center, you can get it done from a good local mechanic. See attached pic of brake cylinder of alto.

and also I wanted to ask you about the engine thing, I recently learnt that tappets and Valve adjustment is done in engine, Have you ever checks that done it? Mass is the place for engine right?
Do you hear any loose tappet sound now? Or get those inspected and corrected from service center itself.

one thing which is very important is the timing kit and you should replace it as soon as possible to avoid engine damage.
+1^^ Also dont forget to replace Fuel Filter.

Attachments

Thread Starter #12
@Saroya. Thanks bro for taking a look here and for the info. You talk about timing kit well I don't understand tell me what it is please it'll be really helpful and about all well during this service in this month.

I changed all almost.
Engine oil (Shell Helix HX7 10w40)
Fuel filter
Gear oil (HP 90)
Coolant but didn't flush radiator ��
Brake pads
Control arms (L/R) along with the bushings, I got the whole kit from MGP for 1500 and 100 something extra for bushing.
Kept brake oil because it was full but now realise it was the mistake as I should have changed and done bleeding ��
Changed clutch assembly (Cable, Plate and Bearing)
Greased steering assembly rod (Mine is not power)
Caliper pin greased.
Air filter MGP
Spark Plugs NGK.
LHS tail light
Front bumper MGP
A/C Service
Throttle Body Cleaning.
Wheel balancing
Wheel allignment.

There's still a problem with the car a limit or major I don't know, When I start the car and put in first gear and move there's a squeeling sound like chh chhh from the left front​ side of suspension, Any help what it is?

I'll post a picture tomorrow it'll surely give you a idea of what I should and shouldn't do. :)
Regards.
Shahrukh.

@Aneesh. Hi buddy thanks a lot for the photo it gave me the proper specification of what it is. I'll surely get that checked on next service.

And about the tappet sound well I don't surely know how it sounds but I guess there's no such sound from the engine :/
I'm too confused please help?
And also check out my above reply to saroya,
I wrote my problems about suspension, Any idea?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #14
@saroya, Yeah buddy I got you. Thanks for this, I'm so happy that my knowledge about cars is increasing so much. It's a delight and yes I know bro, Not confusing that. I replaced fuel filter too. I bought from MGP. :)

Also fuel pump is same or different?

Top Bottom