Maruti 800 (SS80) - An Indian Classic

beautifull pic on its maiden test run
Congrats on a well restored SS80, I owned one in the early 90's, sold when I moved abroad.

A few things I would suggest, not nit picking, just suggestions.
- remove the big 'S' on the boot, does not jell with the clean look.
- try and get your old wheel rims restored, as Alto wheels do not jell.

Interior pics will complete this story[clap]

All in all a very detailed restoration.

Regards

Vinod

A few things I would suggest, not nit picking, just suggestions.
- remove the big 'S' on the boot, does not jell with the clean look.
- try and get your old wheel rims restored, as Alto wheels do not jell.

Congratulations @smvijayan Nice Restoration[clap]

Completly agree with @Nanofreak
Rearrange the Monograms and stick chromium sticker
and If you can you can paint the grill to gray[:D]

Attachments

Hello Everyone,Brilliant Thread of the legendary SS80.I am in need of Pictures of Interior,The Dash,Footrest,Rear Legroom,Seats and Boot Space.It would be a great help if anyone posted the pictures here :)
BTW,Are Original parts still available ?

My Signature will tell the reason :P

Hi Guys, The TAI Guys N all,

Iam new here & happy to be here. Iam a Car/ Bike enthusiast... I Own a Maruthi Esteem 2005, A Maruthi Suzuki SS80 1985, A Tata Indica V2 2016, Bajaj Kawasaki 4s Champion 1997 & a Honda Activa 2002. Guys I need your expertise support & Help in restoring my SS80. Which is in the garage, being De-Rusted. I need its spares at a resonable cost. I request one n all to help me in this adventure!
Thanks
Santosh[:D]

beautifull pic on its maiden test run
Sorry for the late reply, the car looks wonderful. Appreciate the effort put to bring it back to shape.
Just a small suggestion, you could have tried to source the Type 1 rims, I had bought them from Coimbatore and its pretty easy to source them and the emblems are available too!

Nairrk

Honoured Member
The Iconic Maruti 800 Turns 35 Today (14th December)

knejb5t8_maruti-800-turns-35_625x300_14_December_18.jpg

Almost every single Indian has atleast one great memory of the Maruti 800. It literally put the masses in India on 4 wheels! And although there were a fair few cars to choose from before the humble 800 came along, the reliability and refinement of the 800 was unmatched. Launched in Delhi by Indira Gandhi on December 14, 1983, the first ever Maruti 800 was delivered to its owner Harpal Singh and today marks the 35th birthday of the humble commuter car that all of us have come to love and the car that laid the foundations of what Maruti Suzuki is today.

humcr9ug_maruti-800-turns-35_625x300_14_December_18.jpg

uaoh3du8_maruti-800-turns-35_625x300_14_December_18.jpg

tqik9hfo_maruti-800-turns-35_625x300_14_December_18.jpg

Read:

Great maruti 800 thread. Love to see the community of 800 still so loyal and going strong. Really a classic car which everyone had such a pride in owning it which I still remember when I was small as a child.

Thanks to Maruti800, making a dream come true of owning a car for millions.
I am fortunate to spend a lot of childhood with the car and driving one in the late 90's after turning a teenager.

Thanks to Maruti800, making a dream come true of owning a car for millions.
I am fortunate to spend a lot of childhood with the car and driving one in the late 90's after turning a teenager.
Sadly, I was not that fortunate to be able to drive maruti 800 as I was a child. However, seeing the initial photos in this thread makes me value these classics more. I could not just imagine how much eyeballs it would grab while riding around in the neighbourhood :p

Give me a Maruti 800(first gen ss80) today, I will buy it for the Nostalgia. But I remember back in 90s as a kid I enjoyed sitting in my Dads 1962 Fiat(dukkar) more than that in a Maruti 800, when dad sold off the Fiat, and had an 800 after a few years, never felt at home in the Maruti 800 as in the Fiat, a few reasons:-

Low seating, felt almost as sitting on the same level as the road, gave a very nauseous feel. Although our company provided esteem too was low slung but I dont know why it did not give the same nauseous feel as the maruti 800.

Seats and interior did not feel as cozy and warm(feel) as compared to our then 35 year old fiat.

Infact when dad had a santro in 2001 I felt somewhat relieved, we again had a maruti 800 somewhere around 2003-4 If I remember right, I still hated it then. Dad had a silver Alto back then between 2004 to 2006, and it felt like a palace when compared to the maruti 800. All these observations are as a passenger as I was not of a drivable age then. Yet even today my dad talks about some good memories of his past vehicles, he recalls his Fiat for that italian engine, Esteem for sheer comfort and ride and even the Estilo for its ease of manouvreability in Mumbai, but never does he mention about the maruti 800 he had.

So yes there is a nostalgia, and there is a wanting of this car with most people due to the emotions and memories one had with their 800s, but back then there were many who were just fine to get rid of the 800 and move on to an Indica, Alto or a Santro.

BTW I got my first driving demo(what is a clutch, accelerator, brake, gear slotting etc) on dads Maruti 800, but have never driven a Maruti 800 till date. Today I casually keep on peeping online portals for any mouth watering deal popping up for a used well maintained Maruti 800[;)].

Last edited:

Top Bottom