Maruti 800 Overheating Problem

Hi Friends,

I have also faced lot of problems in overheating my M-800 (MPFI).

1. In Pune (05-04-2014) - Temperature Needle raised to H and coolant was thrown out of radiator.
a) With help of local mechanic, checked all the hose which were all right.
b) Thermostat was removed, as per him it is not needed in our climatic condition and coolant will get free flow after removing it.
c) Radiator choke-up removed (If any) and all springs were removed from radiator for free flow (Laxmi Radiator Works - Pune).

(06-04-2014) Vehicle was driven back to Nasik successfully without any overheating problems.

2. In Nasik (26-04-2014) - Same incident as in Pune on 05-04-2014.

a) Checked with Laukik's Motor Care, after giving history of such problem and work done in Pune, the mechanic investigated and came to conclusion that the Head Gasket is blown and must be replaced and advised not to run the car.
b) Immediately asked them to get it replaced.
Head Gasket.jpg
Head Machined.jpg
Elbow.jpg
c) Head was machined and cleared all pores on it.
d) Elbow and all Hoses were replaced.
e) Head Gasket was replaced with all the packing covers (MGP).
f) Time Belt Replaced (MGP)
g) Coolant replaced.

After a long test-drive, it was found that car is not over heating and coolant level is maintained. It seems that my overheating problem is solved.

Surprisingly, It has come to my knowledge that in MPFI Engine the Head Gasket Fitment is of Carb model.

Please go through above and reply your valuable suggestions for the work done.

Thanks & Regards,

Hi friends,
I am glad as well as proud to be a part of this forum. Kindly advice me on these issues-
1. My drive is a 2006 model mpfi maruti 800 AC. Some days ago I noticed a blue coolant-oil mixture under the car. I took the car to a local mechanic who changed the head gasket and water pump gasket. I brought the car home yesterday. Now the car is overheating very fast and the fan comes on more often than it used to do earlier. The car is also making a krrr krrr sound while running. I am very disappointed. I feel the mechanic has spoiled my car.
2. What should I do now?
Thanks in advance,
Regards,
Akshay.

where did the coolant mixture leak from, was it near radiator or somewhere else, if near radiator the did you check the coolant level in the reservoir? Second the temp sensor is telling that radiator coolant is very hot. So check the rpm at idle and what is causing the pressure on engine. Take it to MASS and tell them to check what is putting pressure on engine

where did the coolant mixture leak from, was it near radiator or somewhere else, if near radiator the did you check the coolant level in the reservoir? Second the temp sensor is telling that radiator coolant is very hot. So check the rpm at idle and what is causing the pressure on engine. Take it to MASS and tell them to check what is putting pressure on engine
Thanks Mr. Ram,
The coolant-oil blue colour mixture was leaking from under the engine compartment on the driver side. It was dripping from the rod under the bonnet. The mechanic told me that it was a head gasket issue and changed it. I was a bit suspicious but still I had no other option as MASS told me that it would cost Rs. 5000+taxes, thanks to recent budget changes on service tax[lol].
I feel that the local mechanic has not done the job properly as the car is getting overheated very soon. I have stopped using the car. Let me save some cash to repair it at MASS.[embarass]

Thank you Guys,
Problem solved-the water pump tensioner was very tight. The belt was loosened a bit and the odd creaking sound disappeared. That worked like magic. I told the mechanic to check the water pump and that was the problem. The engine does not overheat as it used to do earlier.
Thanks a lot,
Three cheers to the Automotive India Team,
[clap]

Hi Friends,

I have also faced lot of problems in overheating my M-800 (MPFI).

1. In Pune (05-04-2014) - Temperature Needle raised to H and coolant was thrown out of radiator.
a) With help of local mechanic, checked all the hose which were all right.
b) Thermostat was removed, as per him it is not needed in our climatic condition and coolant will get free flow after removing it.
c) Radiator choke-up removed (If any) and all springs were removed from radiator for free flow (Laxmi Radiator Works - Pune).

(06-04-2014) Vehicle was driven back to Nasik successfully without any overheating problems.

2. In Nasik (26-04-2014) - Same incident as in Pune on 05-04-2014.

a) Checked with Laukik's Motor Care, after giving history of such problem and work done in Pune, the mechanic investigated and came to conclusion that the Head Gasket is blown and must be replaced and advised not to run the car.
b) Immediately asked them to get it replaced.
View attachment 134614
View attachment 134615
View attachment 134616
c) Head was machined and cleared all pores on it.
d) Elbow and all Hoses were replaced.
e) Head Gasket was replaced with all the packing covers (MGP).
f) Time Belt Replaced (MGP)
g) Coolant replaced.

After a long test-drive, it was found that car is not over heating and coolant level is maintained. It seems that my overheating problem is solved.

Surprisingly, It has come to my knowledge that in MPFI Engine the Head Gasket Fitment is of Carb model.

Please go through above and reply your valuable suggestions for the work done.

Thanks & Regards,
Hello,
Please re-install the thermostat valve. It is necessary even though we live in hotter climate. Even my mechanic wanted to remove it. I refused. The thermostat valve is responsible for taking the engine to the optimum temperature point for maximum fuel economy in the morning.
Best Regards.

Hii. I am new here. My Maruti 800 mpfi 4 gear is overheated. The radiator fan is not working when a.c is off, even though I set a new radiator and fan. Mechanic said that there is a problem in ecm of the car. Is it? Plz help. What is the actual problem.. I can't understand.. Plz help me..

i have a Maruti 800 car ( 2007 model ). recently im seeing a issue with my heat meter. sometimes it goes beyond the middle level bit and come back.there is no over heating issue. but it is abnormal for me. when it is going beyond the middle point of the heat meter, air blower start blowing high speed and head lights also more brighten.after 10 seconds its back to normal. but this is happening very frequently. the catch is, if im driving with the A/C all the time, there is no issue like that. cannot guess any thing [confused] .

coolant changed recently
no coolant leakage from hoses
radiator also cleaned.

If you guys can give a clue. that would be much appreciated.

Dear friends,
There are various reasons of overheating but lets first know about the components and working of the cooling system.

The cooling system consists of the radiator, radiator cap, radiator fan, hoses, the degas tank, coolant and in the engine side the water pump, water pump pulley, the thermostat valve and the water channels to flow the coolant in the engine.
The electronic components are the fan control thermostat, ECT sesnor(forMPFI) fan relay, and the temperature sensor which is connected to the temperature meter, and the temp meter itself.

1. Coolant Flow
The coolant is flown continuously by the water pump which is driven through a pulley and belt. (Check the pulley and the condition of the belt also check for any slippage or tightness in water pump rotation)
The coolant flows through the engine, intake manifold and the head. (If the car has heater option, the coolant goes to the small core in the cabin too.) The head gasket prevents any compression, oil or coolant leak while the engine is in operation. (Check the head gasket that if its blown/deteriorated this will cause oil-coolant mix and heat the car also this will lead to compression loss ) I suffered oil leaks from the head gasket as the head was in bad condition and I used it after lathe work, later I replaced with different head.
The coolant then flows to the radiator which is then cooled by forced air from fan and then again is sent towards the engine.

2. Radiator
(There are two types of radiator aluminum and copper. The copper radiator is repairable and does not burst under high pressure but it takes time to cool down. The aluminum radiator is a bit tough to repair but its advantage over copper is that it cools down faster. The radiator cap also plays a major role here) as it builds up and keeps a constant pressure in the radiator which prevents the water from boiling. The excess water/pressure is transferred to the degas tank through the thin pipe, the pressure releases from the small hole in degas tank cap and water goes in the tank which is again sucked back in rad when the pressure decreases in radiator. Check the radiator cap spring and the rubbers for corrosion. Many mechanics do remove the rubber Also check the degas tank for any cracks or leaks.

3. Thermostat Valve
The role of the thermostat valve is to restrict coolant flow during cold start so that the engine can attain minimum operating temperature. after the engine reaches that stage, the valve opens and coolant flow starts.
Many a times the valve is clogged due to impurities in water thus restricting flow. This thing can be removed and will not harm the engine.

4. The electronic components
a. There are two types of fans 80W and 120W for AC models, with time the fan bearing may tighten or lose too much which may cause loud noise from fan or tighter thus slower fan movement. Check fan movement and compare with other M800s fans
b. The electronic thermostat which turns the fan on/off. This may become faulty by aging and may cause delayed start of fan thus causing heating A direct bypass switch can be connected to the relay so that fan can be started when we see temp rise and fan is not working. or else change the thermostat with only MGP or Minda Thermostat. For the MPFI models the ECT sensor sends signal to the ECM to start the fan. In emergency cases if the ECT sensor connector is removed, the fan starts automatically.
c. The temperature sensor for the meter or the meter itself fails rarely but can fail.
d. If the fan relay is old the contacts or terminals may have corroded thus giving less power to fan. Also faulty alternator or low charged battery may be a cause for slow fan. Thus all these need to be checked.

5. Cleaning
The cooling system including the radiator must be cleaned thoroughly. The engine side should be cleaned using pressurized water pipe inserted in one hose and observing the water coming out of bottom hose for any head gasket or metal chips.
The copper radiator can be cleaned by professionals using acid. Then using tweezers all the fins need to be straighten for maximizing air flow (this requires lots n lots of patience)
All hoses should be inspected for any cracks and then cleaned from inside. the thin degas tank hose is many a times neglected. The degas tank should also be cleaned using soapy water and all dirt inside should be removed. (Do not forget to remove all soap deposits from inside the tank)

USE ONLY DISTILLED WATER AND COOLANT MIXTURE. As the normal tap water's impurities cause the water to boil.

There are few more things which will be covered later . . .

Last edited:
I came here to check out the replies because I have the same vehicle, the first thing I would actually check though is the radiator and the coolant level.

Top Bottom