Maruti 800 - New Dashboard Required

Thread Starter #31
I request any Zen owner on TAI to upload some specifications like size of dashboard (width & height), mounting points (photos) & blower (photos). It would be of great help to DIY'ers.

Ss80

@SS80
I have seen a 2000 zen dash board covered with black leather with red stitching. Looked very hot. That was a red zen, he was maintaining a red and black theme on his ride it looked hot. It was long back i will check my hard drive for any pics.

Yes, please do post a pic of your dashboard and also the scratch from nails.
I have recently painted my dashboard (a total DIY) & I can say that you need to scratch atleast 2times before you leave an impression/ scratch. Although I goofed up the colour, the finish is still good.

May be the painter skipped the Plastic primer part & straight away painted it. So it might not be stuck to the dash as firmly as OEM paints do.
Attaching picture after the paint job on the dashboard -

First of all i have goofed up the color for the beige [frustration] got the color selection wrong so planning to redo it again
The paint job on the door panels have come out well, its the plastics parts which move constantly have been chipped off

I had one thought - i was thinking why not leather wrap all the panels matching with the seat color ? has any fellow member done this , im skeptical about this though about the finish....

Attachments

Last edited:
Do post the full pic of the dash, its not visible in the above pic's..
@VARUN560061 here are the pics

This is attempt # 2 in which i have got the color selection wrong yet again [cry]

Im looking into an option of leather wrapping all the panels, the centre console is in the paint shop for a wooden finish thats why the empty space

P2110410.jpg

P2110411.jpg

P2110412.jpg

P2110413.jpg

P2110414.jpg

P2110415.jpg

P2110417.jpg

P2110416.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #36
RPM2500
I feel the colour is good but the chipping of paint in some areas may be because you have not applied Clear Coat (Lacquering) on the paint. If you match the seat covers to the dashboard colours, I think it will look good.

turboheart:
Thanks for the link, I saw a M800 Type1 Yesterday with white & red aggresive paint job (bonnet, roof, hatch door & steel rims in white & rest everything in red). Its dashboard was painted to full matte black! Except interiors everything else was good. I dont have a pic to show what I saw, but I am searching the net for the leather wrap Zen dash you mentioned.

Hi RPM2500, it looks good. You could have tried brown combination too
Ya after you told me im thinking about it though, i saw the combination in the innovas
Why not paint the window rollers and the center console ?
yes im getting them painted very soon, becuase this is the second time i goofed up i thought ill put the upholstery and then match the color according to the seats

Last edited:
Did you remove the entire dash to get it painted ?

Any way try brown combination, it is found on i20 I guess.
No Varun i didnt remove the dash the painter advised the same. reason he said was the dash will be prone to rattling since it will not have the company fitting if we refit the whole thing back, i guess i will have it removed this time for good

Then how did he manage to paint it ? Dint the paint spray all over ?

Its better to remove the dash before painting it.

OT : My 2000 th post.

Then how did he manage to paint it ? Dint the paint spray all over ?
i could see some spray here and there but he cleaned it after painting, ill definitely remove it this time and Yes i have made up my mind on the dark brown - beige combo
OT : My 2000 th post
Cool ! [clap]im wondering how many people you might have helped with those valuable posts.
Please continue the same DIY King ! [thumbsup]

Thread Starter #43
The biggest issue in removing & fitting the dashboard in old Maruti cars is that our plastics become hard over the years due to the heat cycles (Extreme heat from sun when car is parked, cooling from AC etc) So if you are not carefull you might end up with cracked Dashboard (Mine has cracked in quite a few places).

@ RPM2500:

Do not remove the dashboard if your car is over a decade old. It can be a major issue to fit it back properly without damaging it. Also store all the screws carefully, Do not remove any AC hoses (air passes through these plastic pipes behind dashboard)

Last thing: Confirm if new spares are available for your car dashboard, in case something goes wrong with this one.
OT: Dashboard prices are insane, considering the fact that MGP stores have no supply of small fittings on Dashboard.

MGP Prices:
M800 Type 1 Dashboard (no extra fittings, the large single plastic part only): 17xx/-
M800 Type 2 Dashboard (no extra fittings, the large single plastic part only): 185x/-

Extra Fittings of M800 Type 1 (the black box around dashboard no more in production): 650/-

Extra Fittings of M800 Type 2 (Meter glass for all M800's no more in production) 900/-

All the above are MGP Prices from Essar Automobiles. You can get similar quote for your car dashboard, it's good if you know the prices.

Last thing: Confirm if new spares are available for your car dashboard, in case something goes wrong with this one.
OT: Dashboard prices are insane, considering the fact that MGP stores have no supply of small fittings on Dashboard.
Trust me after seeing the fellow members discuss so much about Essar motors and various parts of M800 available, i planned a lot of things, and to my horror there are some parts which are not at all available for the Esteem. The type 1 console box in my car had a broken door and i believe console box is no more available in MGP, the front portion of the car looks so bad with that broken door. My guess is since we have huge number of M800's,spares for them are still available considering the numbers. Dashboard requirement for the Esteem would be a far cry in my case

Trust me after seeing the fellow members discuss so much about Essar motors and various parts of M800 available, i planned a lot of things, and to my horror there are some parts which are not at all available for the Esteem. The type 1 console box in my car had a broken door and i believe console box is no more available in MGP, the front portion of the car looks so bad with that broken door. My guess is since we have huge number of M800's,spares for them are still available considering the numbers. Dashboard requirement for the Esteem would be a far cry in my case
Why not order them, it will take 20 - 30 days. But as you said we too have a list of spares which are not available (no manufacturing).

Top Bottom