Maruti 800 Modification (Kerala Style)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Starter #1
The plan: Pick up an old Maruti 800 (SB-308 Bodyshell). The options in this are:
1. Type 1 - Carb engine
2. Type 2 - Carb engine
3. Type 2 - 5 Speed MPFI
4. Type 2 - 4 Speed MPFI
5. Type 3 - 4 Speed MPFI

Options 1 & 3 are on top of the list but I'm willing to consider the other 3 options if 1&3 are not available and the price is right for the others.

I have listed out the planned mods in pictures of what I want to do and I need your suggestions. Also posted some pictures of modded cars which inspired me to go for this project.

The budget for this including the cost of the car is 1 Lakh. If all the mods don't fit into the budget suggest which mods to do to stay within the budget and the rest of the mods can be shifted to Phase II of the project.

Jobs to be done:
1. Removal of any dents, patch up of any corroded panels, paint touch up.
2. Full service and rectification of mechanical / electrical faults.
3. Interior cleaning, removal of un-necessary accessories, new seat covers, door panels etc.
4. Very basic ICE preferably OEM looking.
5. Refurbishment / Replacement of dashboard and other faded trims.
6. Wider rims (modified OEM) or Alloys, possible upsizing to 13".
7. Wider tyres (see pic).
8. Lowered suspension. I understand this is done by cutting the original springs.
9. Remote tailgate and fuel flap opening mod including blanking off of the fuel lid keyhole. OEM Maruti parts from other models to be used.
10. Rear Wash/Wipe.
11. Frameless wipers in front.
12. Day/Night IRVM.
13. Grill mod.
14. Bumper skirts.
15. Steering wheel from the Maruti stable (new Dzire wheel will be perfect).

If budget permits and the car has paint in bad condition or a bad colour, a full paint job or wrap.

Another crazy idea which I want to explore is an engine swap with a Wagon R engine.

The whole project should not make the car look too "Loud" or "Modified". Mods should be subtle, tasteful and practical. In short it has to be a Kerala style modded Maruti 800. Something Maruti should have done in the factory itself.

Attachments

Last edited:
The plan: Pick up an old Maruti 800 (SB-308 Bodyshell). The options in this are:
1. Type 1 - Carb engine
2. Type 2 - Carb engine
3. Type 2 - 5 Speed MPFI
4. Type 2 - 4 Speed MPFI
5. Type 3 - 4 Speed MPFI

Options 1 & 3 are on top of the list but I'm willing to consider the other 3 options if 1&3 are not available and the price is right for the others.

I have listed out the planned mods in pictures of what I want to do and I need your suggestions. Also posted some pictures of modded cars which inspired me to go for this project.

The budget for this including the cost of the car is 1 Lakh. If all the mods don't fit into the budget suggest which mods to do to stay within the budget and the rest of the mods can be shifted to Phase II of the project.

Jobs to be done:
3. Interior cleaning, removal of un-necessary accessories, new seat covers, door panels etc.
8. Lowered suspension. I understand this is done by cutting the original springs.
9. Remote tailgate and fuel flap opening mod including blanking off of the fuel lid keyhole. OEM Maruti parts from other models to be used.
10. Rear Wash/Wipe.
12. Day/Night IRVM.
13. Grill mod.
14. Bumper skirts.

If budget permits and the car has paint in bad condition or a bad colour, a full paint job or wrap.

Another crazy idea which I want to explore is an engine swap with a Wagon R engine.

The whole project should not make the car look too "Loud" or "Modified". Mods should be subtle, tasteful and practical. In short it has to be a Kerala style modded Maruti 800. Something Maruti should have done in the factory itself.
Wow Peter, this is quite a wish list, I do hope you can get hold of a good FNG to execute this dream project. (I did see some modded cars in Goa during my Last visit).

I would suggest lowering the car by 2" and putting lowprofile tyres on 14" rims.

Regarding the engine swap, I remember in the late 80's when diesel was half price of petrol, people used to swap a Dihatsu 3 cylinder refurbished Diesel engine imported from Thailand, and lots of Mechanics used to do this swap in Delhi & Meerut, so a 1Liter WagonR or Zen engine swap should not be a problem.

Subscribed to this thread

Cheers

Regards

Vinod

How? By cutting the springs or is there any other way?

If you see closely the picture above, steel gray with gold wheels, that's what I thought.

Won't 14" be an overkill? I was thinking of limiting it to 13"

Same as above..

Do share any information you have.
My reply in bold.

Take the engine and transmission together for this engine swap, and go for the carburater type for either ZEN or Wagon R.

Cheers

Last edited:
Hi Peter,
happy to see you back with yet another nice idea.

I have different thoughts though, not discouraging you, just saying how I feel.

Your idea is good, but the car you chose is not.
Having owned 2 pre-owned 800's in the recent past & currently working on a full body paint & mild restoration on my cousins car, I can assure you, this is not the right car for all these mods.

Although I love this car, the space is the least amongst all other cars. We can make a great poser out of it, but not a great car anyday. Once you have spent a 6digit figure on it, it still cant do 100kmph for a long duration, wont stop where you want it to, with your height lessened - be ready to kiss every hump on our Indian road.

All I want to say is, if you strictly want it to run - say @ 50kmph and attracts selfies wherever you go - Yes, 800 is a good choice. But wont be a practical car for daily use, once modded.

Why not look at other options (no Zen, 800, etc)

----------------------------------------------------------

FUll body work will cost max 20K if you find the right garage

entire wiring kit itself is 2800/- that if current one is totally unusable/ heavy cuts & taping is done

Door panels - 1200/- MGP
Seat covers - 4500/- art leather
add 2 headrests for another 500/-

Buy the centre console thing - mounted on floor (costs 400/-) & mount HU on it.
Basic Pioneer & 2 6x9 Ovals are sufficient for this car. You will enjoy it.

You can easily fit Type 2 or Type 3 dashboard - and fit it on Type 1 car - they are all interchangeble.
Entire dashboard will cost 2300/- without fittings (NEW ONE)

Best thing is to fit Old Esteem/ Zen rims - 13" ones and use 165/xx R13 (max size)

The ones you see are altered rims (unscientific jugaad) - best to stay away from these stretch/ reverse welded steel rims

Been in 1 such car - not a good idea, oil sump being the lowest point in 800, will get hit on the most unlikely bumps on road.

Varun has done this, please check his thread. Get this done before you finalise painting work.

10. Rear Wash/Wipe.
Easier to get this done on type 2 or type 3 models, as the dikki has space and kind of accomodates the motor.
Go for any alto/ waggy rear wiper motor.

Dont go for Minda/ CHinese ones.

12. Day/Night IRVM.
Not sure, which one fits though.

13. Grill mod.
eady - just add a mesh

14. Bumper skirts.
Nah, not again

Alto K10 wheel should be a direct fit, anything newer than this will look - out of place.

PS: No Offence/ sarcasm meant in any of the lines above. Just expressed what I know & what I felt
[:)]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6
Take the engine and transmission together for this engine swap, and go for the carburater type for either ZEN or Wagon R.
I don't think the Wagon R came in a Carb version.

Your idea is good, but the car you chose is not.
Having owned 2 pre-owned 800's in the recent past & currently working on a full body paint & mild restoration on my cousins car, I can assure you, this is not the right car for all these mods.
I selected this car because it's usually everyones first car. However I never owned one.

Although I love this car, the space is the least amongst all other cars. We can make a great poser out of it, but not a great car anyday. Once you have spent a 6digit figure on it, it still cant do 100kmph for a long duration, wont stop where you want it to, with your height lessened - be ready to kiss every hump on our Indian road.
Well the car is not going to be a everyday car. We have the Celerio for that.

All I want to say is, if you strictly want it to run - say @ 50kmph and attracts selfies wherever you go - Yes, 800 is a good choice.
Exactly what I need it for.

FUll body work will cost max 20K if you find the right garage
Hoping to find a decent car so I won't have to spend on this.

entire wiring kit itself is 2800/- that if current one is totally unusable/ heavy cuts & taping is done
Again hoping the car does not need this.

Door panels - 1200/- MGP
Seat covers - 4500/- art leather
add 2 headrests for another 500/-
Will do this.

Buy the centre console thing - mounted on floor (costs 400/-) & mount HU on it.
Basic Pioneer & 2 6x9 Ovals are sufficient for this car. You will enjoy it.
Just remembered that I have a Blaupunkt Hamburg and Blaupunkt Rear Ovals which I removed from the Siena.

You can easily fit Type 2 or Type 3 dashboard - and fit it on Type 1 car - they are all interchangeble.
Entire dashboard will cost 2300/- without fittings (NEW ONE)
That's cheap.

Best thing is to fit Old Esteem/ Zen rims - 13" ones and use 165/xx R13 (max size)
13" is my preference. Alloys if I can find decent ones in 114.3 PCD.

The ones you see are altered rims (unscientific jugaad) - best to stay away from these stretch/ reverse welded steel rims
OK. Will do. But I'll need nice wide tyres.

Been in 1 such car - not a good idea, oil sump being the lowest point in 800, will get hit on the most unlikely bumps on road.
Well I'll probably be willing to live with this for the look.

Varun has done this, please check his thread. Get this done before you finalise painting work.
Inspired by his thread only. Besides I had done the remote tailgate opener on my wife's Alto.

Easier to get this done on type 2 or type 3 models, as the dikki has space and kind of accomodates the motor.
Go for any alto/ waggy rear wiper motor.
Again inspired by Varuns 800

Dont go for Minda/ CHinese ones.
Hella or Bosch.

Not sure, which one fits though.
Dzire or Celerio

eady - just add a mesh
Yea

Nah, not again
Why not? Just minimal ones.

Alto K10 wheel should be a direct fit, anything newer than this will look - out of place.
May just stick with the stock one.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7
Found this car on OLX. He had quoted 60K but I managed to get him down to 42K. Once he comes to anywhere between 30-30K, I'll buy it.
It's a 2003 Model, 5 Speed DX (AC) done 30150 Kms, single owner. Car is being used by the owners wife.

single owner 5 speed for 42K itself is a good deal, in Bangalore same car would sell for 70 - 80K even today. If car is good, negotiate a bit and go for it

Chanced upon this news yesterday. This happened in Kerala. Do excercise caution.

Summary: A Baleno was modified to look like a Merc A-Class. The RTO began the investigation after the state transport commissioner received a complaint. After the owner agreed to remove the modification, the authorities have decided not to deregister the car and let him off with a fine.

Article Link

Thread Starter #11
single owner 5 speed for 42K itself is a good deal, in Bangalore same car would sell for 70 - 80K even today. If car is good, negotiate a bit and go for it
Managed to get him down to 34K. I hope to finalize in the next few days.

Do excercise caution.
I don't intend making it look like any other car. Just a tastefully modified 800. Also I don't live in Kerala. Just making the car Kerala style.

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #13
Two more cars shortlisted:
1. The white one is a 1989 model from Hubli for 15K.
Pros
- Low Price
- Old style registration
- Classic Type I styling

Cons
- Need to check is documentation is valid.
- Possibly no AC.
- May require mechanical work.
- Not Goa registered.

2. The Phoenix Red is a 1998 DX for 30K. Belongs to the True Value guy from whom I bought my Fiero.
Pros
- AC.
- No/Minimum mechanical work.
- Goa registered.
- Documentation up to date.

Cons
- New styling but old mechanicals (Carb engine & Leaf Spring suspension).
- Colour.
- Price.
- New style registration.

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #15
T2 Phoenix red should have Coil springs, being a DX
I don't think so. Coil spring set up first appeared on the 5 Speed DX in 2000. The 5 Speed EX continued with the leaf springs. After the 5 Speed was discontinued all 800's came with coil springs around 2003-2004.

BTW is it possible to restore / refurbish the paint on the Phoenix Red 800 by polishing or some 3M treatment etc or does it need a re-spray?
Looking at getting it to this condition.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom