Maruti 800 Headlamp Upgrade - Need Help

Thread Starter #16
The total cost was as below:
Alternator Soldering- Rs.125/-
Alternator belt- Rs.90/- (Type - CA 850)
Battery charging- Rs.75/-
New Relay- Rs.200/-
Wiring is the same old one
Bulbs 100/90 - 2Nos - 160/- (bought sometime back)
Time spent by me in removing & then fixing alternator - 2full evenings
JOY - UNLIMITED[thumbswink]

Took the alternator to the auto electrician last night, he opened up everything (even the coils) and later found some soldering inside the alternator had given up causing earthing (short circuit) I guess. Charged 200 for battery charging & soldering + a little cleaning of coils.

Tonight I need to collect the battery and fit back everything as it was, hope everything works fine. Fingers are crossed[:)]

The electrician suggested to fix a new wiring & relay for the 100/90 bulbs to work. Cost of the brand he suggested is 550/- (exclusive of labour)
Is it okay to go ahead?
Go with it... But it costed me Rs.900 including the labour charges.. But try to ensure its a brand new one.

Thread Starter #19
Applied little vaseline to the sides of the alternator belt & the other belt (I think the water pump belt)

Checked the readings on the multimeter & result is as below.

Just Engine no load.jpg
Just Engine ON (with nothing else switched on)

Engine + headlamps.jpg
Engine ON + Headlamps (Low beam - 100/90 bulbs)

Engine + headlamps + AC + full  blower.jpg
Engine ON + Headlamps + AC + Blower full speed

Engine + headlamps + AC + full  blower + 4way indicators.jpg
Engine ON + headlamps + AC + Blower full speed + parking indicators (all 6 of them)

Engine + headlamps + AC + full  blower + 4way indicators + Music system (average volume).jpg
Everything is ON except horn [Engine ON + headlamps + AC + Blower full speed + parking indicators (all 6 of them) + Music system at 16 Volume (22 is high volume)]

You are right Varun, my alternator is not sufficient. May be I too will start off with the alternator upgrade you did recently [:D].

For a normal stock car its sufficient..

You have forgotten the radiator fan,brake lights ?? So if this also works then the voltage is still more dropped..
Its better you shift back to 55/60 watts bulbs..

Thread Starter #21
Fitting Type 2 Alternator on type 1 Maruti 800

I am back to this thread for the same reason again [frustration]

My alternator started to trouble me again few days back, everytime I switch on the blower the bettery symbol on the dashboard lits up. WIth headlights on, the vehicle hardly accelarates, forget the AC.

This month I am running on strict budget, thanks to my credit card & a few online shopping I did this month. Spoke to varun & borrowed his Alternator (Stock Mpfi M800 alternator) & fit that into my car.

This is only a temporary solution, but still works great. The problem I faced while fixing Varun;s alternator is that, his car is Type 2 & mine is Type 1.
The alternator in both these cars are slightly different, fitting wont be a problem, but the plug wont fit into the alternator.

Type 1 alternator has two male points/pins on it for the 2 hole plug to fit, in the type 2 alternator there are 3male pins in the alternator & the hole itself is round in shape, Type 1 Pin wont fit in Type 2 alternator.

So I cut the plug from the wiring & added 2 connectors (the ones used in Horn) & fit them in the alternator.

Type 2 alternator has 3 pins, but only two work, one is for Ignition & one is for the dashboard light.

Here are a few pics, i will upload both the alternator pics tonight to show the difference.Hope this also helps other 800 users in case of swapping alternators.

More burning.jpg
Wires burnt (the wire going from alternator to somewhere [:)] was too close too the exhaust manifold and got burnt
WireBurn 1.jpg
some more burnt pics
WireBurn 2.jpg

Pins.jpg
The pins (horn connector type) - fragile items
me.jpg
Yeah,its me,sitting from morning 7.30 to 10.00am, learning more, fixing more
Connector pins instead of plug.jpg
This is how the pins look.

Left many more pics in the camera, these were shot on mobile so adjust maadi[cheers]

Car is fine, with this alternator, but with headlight (100/90) + AC +brakes again voltage drops to somewhere around 12V. But anyday better than my old one, I am planning to get the swift/ Santro one (Joint DIY - what do you say Varun? )

Do not ignore the aletrnator issue on your 800's, yesterday night I drove the car for 60kms on Mysore highway at speeds of 100 - 110kmph with ease. All these days my car used to struggle after 70/ 80 speed even without AC.

Nice detailed pic's this would help other 800 owner too..

First get rid of the burnt wire !! Put up some more pic's so that it would be more easy for other members to understand..

Thread Starter #23
Here are some more pictures guys, I guess type 1 800 owners might need this (incase alternator goes kaput )

This the type 2 maruti 800 alternator [did mild kerosene cleaning :)]
Shiny.JPG

Here are the Type1(left side -with 2pin socket) & the type2(3pin socket) maruti 800 alternators. Both are TVS LUCAS made (Ilango mentioned this in a post long back that mgp alternator for 800 is made by TVS Lucas)
t1 & 2.JPG

Here is the close up of the type 2 alternator
type 2 alternator.JPG

Everything seems fine in daytime, at night feels better than before. Still only a higher alternator can quench my cars thirst for amps [frustration]

Thread Starter #25
Once some cash flows in I will surely go for swift alternator. 120amps Xylo will simply make my car electrifying. Then I wont talk about kmpl instead Kwhr [:)]

the only and only one problem i face with my DIY projects is parking space
i have to park my car 2 blocks away from my house in an open ground where I can;t keep anything [cry]

hey ss80 and Varun you guys are really on this man

so after reading it sounds like sole relay and wiring for 90/100 bulbs won't do the trick

alternator upgrade is core requirement for getting the bling going

Yes when you upgrade the blubs, it is very much necessary to upgrade the atly..

Usually in other cars minimum alty capacity would be 55amps so it can take up the load. But ours is 35amps (std) and 40 (a/c model).

Need advice on replacing headlights in my maruti 800

Dear varun.

My maruti 800 is 1997 model and the headlights are really dull which is not sufficient for city driving. I cannot switch to high beams because it will affect the opposite driver . Are 800's headlights weak? do i need to replace the bulbs or is there any other alternative. Pls suggest.

Thanks,
Vishnu

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom