Maruti 800 1992 Model Restoration

Thread Starter #1
Note to the mods- Please don't merge this thread with any other threads on this forum.

OLD IS GOLD

Its been a long time since I wrote something on this site. This time during my semester break we decided to restore our beloved 20 years old Maruti 800.
This car has a small story attached with it:- This car was purchased by my father on 8th February 1992 from Pebco Motors, Jamshedpur. After using it for 10 years (2002) and 250000 Kms we sold it to one of our relative. That guy literally abused the car and got it repainted by some local mechanic. I think that mechanic didn’t even knew how to open couplers in wiring of the car, he cut all the wires in the car and again joined it by applying insulation tape. The owner was equally irresponsible about the work carried out on the car. The owner drove the car for 100000 km and then he bought another car after which this car was barely used. They didn’t also bother to cover it. The car was exposed to sun and rain for 3-4 years. In 2011 my father went to their house for some function and he saw our beloved standing under a tree with dust and leaves all over it. He was shocked to see the car in this condition so he asked our relative that what is he going to do with it? He said- I am planning to sell it. My father asked the price and he told Rs 35000. After some negotiation he agreed on Rs 25000. My father bought the car and asked him about the car he said they haven’t started it from quite some time. My father asked for the keys and it started on the first crank. The car was cleaned by our driver and he took it to get it fuelled and air pressure check. The front RHS tyre rim developed a hole near the valve and the tube got cut by the rim so the spare tyre was fitted and that rim (except tyre) was thrown there only. At 5 o clock in the evening my father started from my relative’s place which is 100Km from my house and reached Ranchi by 7 o clock without a single puncher or breakdown. The car proved its loyalty again.

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #2
After getting it to Ranchi next day we gave the car to a nearby service center to get it washed. Guys, the condition of the car was pathetic from inside, Carpets torn, mats torn, lots and lots of paper pieces, jute bags and what not. Got the car washed and brought it back home.
After some time I decided to do an inspection of the car so firstly I opened the bonnet, checked engine oil which was below normal level, brake oil was below normal level, gear oil which was like slush and below normal level, When I opened the radiator cap I found that the radiator was filled with water and also the coolant reservoir was filled with water, The gear lever had more play than normal, The locks of the car got opened by any other key, The parking breaks didn’t worked, The recliners in front seats were welded, No light of the car worked except the headlights, nothing in the instrument panel worked, The car didn’t had any logos of Maruti Suzuki and 800 on boot lid and Maruti symbol on radiator grill.
Next day I took it to our trusted MASS and got the following works done-
General servicing
Engine oil and oil filter change
Gear oil change
Brake oil bleeding
Radiator change (The old radiator when opened was found leaking)
Flushed all water from container and poured coolant
Instrument panel change (Second hand)
Parking brake cable changed
Rear wheel cylinder change
Wiper blade change
The electrician spent almost an hour in rectifying all lights of the car.
New carpet
New floor mats
Clutch pedal bracket change
Gear lever boot, housing, gear kit and gear knob changed.
Brake light switch change
Lock system change
Since two of the front rims were damaged we sourced two rims (Type II model) from a total loss 800 in the service center.
Now the car was in OK condition.

We drove the car for almost one year and then we decided to give the car for a much needed dent and paint as there was not a single panel in the car which didn’t had rust.
Next day took the car to MASS and after inspecting they quoted Rs 65000 for entire dent, paint and tinkering job. We brought our car home and started looking for a good local denter. My uncle referred a good denter in our locality. He recently got his Omni done by him. We took our car to him. He did a thorough inspection of the car and quoted Rs 30000 for entire denting, tinkering and painting job.
We gave the car to him and he started dismantle the car.
Next day after opening all the seats, lights, bumpers, radiator grill, all the glasses, fenders he washed the car with pressurized water. He said that finding rusty parts will be easier now. As soon as he got the car washed he showed me the condition of the panels. Below is the pic attached to give you an idea of the amount of rust.

Attachments

Thread Starter #6
He then took off all the old paint using paint remover and heating the panel and scrubbing it. He replaced both running boards and repaired the floor and apron. Major rust was on both aprons, fenders, boot lid and cross member. The cross member was changed.

He showed us the amount of rust inside the boot lid. The condition of the boot lid was pathetic, the place where the rear glass is pasted was completely rusted and had holes in it so we sourced a second hand boot lid and two fenders from a same model car which had undergone a remodeling in the same garage itself so we replaced the whole boot lid and both fenders. The best part of that car was that it had original factory paint and had no rust.
The mounting on which the battery tray is tightened was also rusted so the denter welded a new clamp there also.
The clamp on which the petrol filter is tightened was missing and the previous owner used to tie it with a metal wire on the leaf spring. So the denter welded that clamp also.

Attachments

Thread Starter #12
Next day I bought spare parts from MGP shop for Rs 5847 and wiring kit (Minda) for Rs 2600.
Spare parts bought were Both bumpers, bumper brackets, glass run set, ceiling, door handles, glass handles, plastic trim set, floor rubber kit, brake oil level indicator, wheel hub caps, some nut bolts, roof lining, door garnish, roof lining etc.
I also acquired a type 1 rim from kabadi bazaar and got it painted. Now the car had all type 1 rims. From that kabadi bazaar only i got a type 1 radiator grill also.
Next day the wiring was done and rear bumper and lights were fixed, also all the glasses were fixed.
The rims were taken out from the tires and they were also painted and the tires were cleaned. All of the four wheel bearings and front brake caliper pins were greased.
The seats were sent for changing the rexin on it and adding extra foam on it to make it more comfortable. The seat recliners were also changed.

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #13
Next on the line was the engine. The engine was surprisingly in good condition. Only the flywheel bearing was damaged so it was replaced. There was some engine oil leakage from the oil seal near the oil pan so the oil seal was replaced. The oil seal near the gear box was also leaking so it was also replaced.

Attachments

Thread Starter #14
Finally the engine was on the car and the carburetor was thoroughly cleaned and engine oil and gear oil was flushed followed by new engine oil and gear oil.

Attachments

Thread Starter #15
All the door pads were changed including those inside the boot and inside rear quarter panel.
The tyres were cleaned, steering wheel was cleaned followed by new steering wheel cover and rubbing polish on the body. All four mud flaps were new and the bumpers and dashboard were also polished and finally after 82 days (1968 hours or 118080 minutes) the car was ready to roll out of the workshop and hit the road.

Attachments

Top Bottom