Map My India Road Pilot vs Garmin Nuvi 40 LM

Which is a better navigation system?

• Total voters
Hehe sometimes i calculate say i invest Rs10,000 in a set up for 5 years. In Fd i will get 15k back.
I invest it in the navigator. Will it help me in saving 15k fuel costs in 5 years [glasses]

I have not used this device except for a quick demo this evening. Hope you don’t mean to say that Garmin is known to have the mentioned issues? I’m afraid. Don’t forget that I have bought it only based on the suggestions of you all in this thread. :smile:
Drive Safe,
350Z
Hahaha. No buddy i just wanted to know how it works in India. Otherwise Garmin is the best GPS device you can get in US. I buy and recommend Garmin GPS eyes closed. All my cousins and friends have Garmin and yes i recommended them to buy it. And so far i have not heard any single complaint. So don't worry about the quality & connectivity sirji.

Just want to know how it behaves in India. And if works good than i will buy for me as well.

I have finalized to buy Garmin. Looking forward to get one this weekend. Meanwhile, more votes or suggestions are welcome.

Drive Safe,
350Z
Got the Garmin Nuvi 40 LM finally. Will post a detailed review soon once I use it for a few trips.

Drive Safe,
350Z
Just in time Vibhor. I am too in the market for a basic PND. Eagerly waiting for your review on the same. I too had almost finalized for MMI but this thread made me wait.

freakdude.

Hey Vibhor how's Garmin connectivity in India? And does it work when you are out of city limits or crossing through some small villages and all (I mean when you are travelling on highways). Does it loose connectivity in rural areas.
Hi Singh, it should work anywhere as it is connected through satellite unlike our mobile phones which connects through relay tower. Any GPS will loose signal only under deep tunnels or roads dominated by sky scrappers on both side like in developed countries. It can loose signal in deep thick jungle too, otherwise it will work well in any places.

It looses the plot when the maps are not updated properly too. Technically it dont loose signal but dont shows the map. Hope I answered your question.

@350Z: Congrats for your new gadget. I got MapMyIndia, so we can do a comparison soon.

Drive Safe.

Hello Friends,

Really interesting and informative thread.. I have been searching for best option of GPS or ACTUAL GPS for my parents in India. And after reading this thread, I will wait till Singh / Vibhor or some one else really use it in India. And share their experiances.

I have been using refurbished GARMIN since last 3 years w/o any issue. It's comes at quite resonable price, or i would say cheap price and gives best result.

But till now i have heard that it doesn't locate address in India because of the format issue. (Address format in India and USA is totally diffrent and still GPS is having USA format. Garmin didn't design any new format for India) I hope they would have overcome this issue in this new model.

Eagerly waiting for the reiview :)!!!

Also please update if we can place online order

Thanks in advance folks, keep sharing, you are doing great job!

Hello and welcome to TAI Hetal.

Maybe the person was using a US version in India that's why the GPS didn't located the address. Now days you can buy these from India itself which are pre loaded with Indian maps.

Thread Starter #23

350Z

Core Team
Just want to know how it behaves in India. And if works good than i will buy for me as well.
Eagerly waiting for your review on the same. I too had almost finalized for MMI but this thread made me wait.
@350Z: Congrats for your new gadget. I got MapMyIndia, so we can do a comparison soon.
Thanks. Sure, I will update as soon as possible through a review in separate thread.

Hello Friends, Really interesting and informative thread.. I have been searching for best option of GPS or ACTUAL GPS for my parents in India. And after reading this thread, I will wait till Singh / Vibhor or some one else really use it in India. And share their experiances.
Heartiest welcome to The Automotive India, Hetal. There are three low-cost GPS Devices in India that I am aware of: MapMyIndia (Road Pilot), Garmin (Nuvi 40) and SatGuide (4.3 Navi). Don’t have much idea about SatGuide though MMI is quite widespread brand. Even I was looking to buy one initially but the launch of Garmin Nuvi 40 turned the tables all of sudden. It seems much VFM than MMI. I will update with a user experience soon.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Congrats buddy. Did you get any discount?

Yesterday, I placed my order for an unbranded GPS navigator on e-bay. Delivery is expected after 20 days as it ships from China. It comes with 7 inch touchscreen, Bluetooth and FM transmitter. Its primary function is GPS navigation, however it also has multimedia capabilities so kids can also watch a movie while on a long drive. Keeping my fingers crossed. Let's see how it goes.
Buddy can you please share the ebay link.

freakdude.

Last edited:
Thanks for the link buddy. I see that it has India maps on an SD card provided with the unit. How can we update these maps, or how can we assure that these maps are latest and correct. Can we install maps from any other source too. Pardon my questions as I am not very well versed with these PNDs.

freakdude.
I am not sure which map would be provided. Am assuming that it would be basic and/or outdated since being given free. The OS is Windows CE 6.0, which is compatible with most GPS software/maps. I can buy a compatible map like "Map My India" from a different source and use.

Frankly, I too am not well versed with such devices as I have not used any earlier. My knowledge is limited to whatever I have read on internet etc. I will share my experience with you once I receive the device and start using it.

Top Bottom