Map My India GPS Service - Review

Yes, An android smartphone serves the purpose very well. You can use Google Maps and many more apps to navigate . Interesting thing is most of them are free and gets updates regularly
I am using Gmaps from one and a half year in my sony xperia U smartphone and very much satisfied. Now using it in my car from last six months on Samsung Galaxy Tab 3. No need to get seprate navigator device for car.

sure!
search it in play store. after installing, it downloads about 150 mb of maps to make it true offline GPS. you can download 4-5 voice packs as well (male, female ).
Hey I saw quite a few versions of navfree apps. Which one to download ?

In Delhi, I have been using my Android smartphone with Google Maps for navigation and the only complaint I have is that every time someone calls you the GPS screen goes away! [surprise] Moments of pure terror.

But I have a trick for using it offline that I would like to share:

1. Zoom/Rotate/Scroll the map so that the screen has a view of the map area you wish to use.
2. Open the search box, type "ok maps" and click search.
3. It will now go back to map view, and the search box will say "Pre-loading maps __%"
4. Once it has finished pre-loading you can use the map for navigation anytime, without internet! It also saves the Points of Interest (eg. Bus stations) and the Zoomed views!

God knows how much phone data I have saved with this method! :lol!:

I also do the same.
But instead of typing "ok maps" I just say it [:D]

i think in Delhi, google maps will be perfect isn't it? Over here it is not so perfect, still need lots of correction and updation.[cry]

Last edited:
I also do the same.
But instead of typing "ok maps" I just say it

i think in Delhi, google maps will be perfect isn't it? Over here it is not so perfect, still need lots of correction and updation.[cry]
Ahaha good idea [:D]

Yep it's fairly accurate here, and I'm a Google Developer so I can fix things that don't work properly and update it on my phone within 24 hours! [;)]

Ahaha good idea [:D]

Yep it's fairly accurate here, and I'm a Google Developer so I can fix things that don't work properly and update it on my phone within 24 hours! [;)]
WOW thats good [clap]

When i encounter map mistakes I get into the mapmaker an do required edits.

In nokia maps, there is an option for downloading the entire Country map. This is really lacking in google maps. Why it is not available? Aleast google maps should support of making offline maps with even more bigger area selection.

Last edited by a moderator:
In nokia maps, there is an option for downloading the entire Country map. This is really lacking in google maps. Why it is not available? Aleast google maps should support of making offline maps with even more bigger area selection.
True! I once tried downloading the map for the entire Delhi NCR region and it just said "Map area too large". I guess it prevents users from filling their memory with maps, considering google doesn't even give us an option to delete portions of the downloaded maps!

bhvm

Honoured Member
WOW thats good [clap]

When i encounter map mistakes I get into the mapmaker an do required edits.

google is the dumbest map app I've seen. it works on 3g and how the hell can one get reliable 3g on the move? like cross state runs?

that's why I'm using nav free. no 3g costs as well.

you can see my reviews in my thunderbolt thread.

google is the dumbest map app I've seen. it works on 3g and how the hell can one get reliable 3g on the move? like cross state runs?

that's why I'm using nav free. no 3g costs as well.

you can see my reviews in my thunderbolt thread.
You don't need 3G, even 2G works fine...but you can use the "ok maps" trick and you won't need to spend on mobile internet!

Im using google maps with 2G connection. I use to get annoyed with its direction search time.
But once the search get completed and the navigation starts, it works fine.

In Delhi, I have been using my Android smartphone with Google Maps for navigation and the only complaint I have is that every time someone calls you the GPS screen goes away! [surprise] Moments of pure terror.

But I have a trick for using it offline that I would like to share:

1. Zoom/Rotate/Scroll the map so that the screen has a view of the map area you wish to use.
2. Open the search box, type "ok maps" and click search.
3. It will now go back to map view, and the search box will say "Pre-loading maps __%"
4. Once it has finished pre-loading you can use the map for navigation anytime, without internet! It also saves the Points of Interest (eg. Bus stations) and the Zoomed views!

God knows how much phone data I have saved with this method! :lol!:
You don't need 3G, even 2G works fine...but you can use the "ok maps" trick and you won't need to spend on mobile internet!
Viru, thanks for the tip, however following things to note.
* This method just cache the map so that you can later use it.
* There is no search-ability
* There is no navigation.

So for me not much of use, correct me if I am wrong.

Also I feel we are going off topic here, here is the thread to discuss on this topic
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/accessories-modifications/11111-best-gps-device-india.html

Top Bottom