Making Indian Mountain Roads Safer

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
Just about a month ago during my trip to Dehradun / Mussoorie, while travelling uphill, I witnessed at least a couple of accidents and number of broken vehicles on roads. One of those crashes was between Toyota Innova and a Bike. While the Bike was going down on a hairpin bend, suddenly the Innova appeared from nowhere and bang! That Bike was totalled in minutes and the couple riding on it was injured. We were quite afraid but commenting on this sight, our driver reacted “Saar, this is common here. It’s all ‘coz of careless people from Delhi and Punjab side who drive very rashly and attempt to overtake even on the hills”. I understand that he was correct. Many people drive very rashly even on hilly regions which today, is a cause of major road accidents in these areas. On the other hand, I’m also surprised to know that compared to some of the foreign nations, the mountain roads in India are really unsafe. Almost 97% of roads do not have proper railing and sign boards at all which makes it extremely dangerous not only to drive but also to comfortably sit inside the vehicle. Here on, I’m initiating this thread so that we can share our experiences and discuss on making the mountain roads in India, safer.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Yes , driving in the hills requires even more skill compared to the plains. Some of the things which i follow while driving in hills , i will share here:

1.Never ever overtake in a curve(even in plains). Overtake only when you get a clear view upfront and its safe to overtake.

2.Honk your horn during curves to let know you are coming , so that even if somebody is overtaking they will be aware that another vehicle coming their way.

3.Deciding to park your ride for a photo-shoot? Always park in such a place that it does not obstruct the other vehicles passing by.

4.Leave way for the uphill going vehicles especially heavy duty vehicles.

5. Never speed especially while going downhill , be gentle on the brakes and your car.

I can think of only these for now. Everybody says driving at nights in hills is risky but i prefer night driving and feel its safer if the weather and the roads are clear. The reason being because of the glare of the headlamps i can know if another vehicle is coming in the opposite direction even in curves.

One more tip:

Use 2nd or 1st gear and release the clutch fully(don't accelerate) while Downhill, this will control your car speed and the car will be in full control.[;)]

One more tip:

Use 2nd or 1st gear and release the clutch fully(don't accelerate) while Downhill, this will control your car speed and the car will be in full control.[;)]
In one word using engine braking.

Yes , driving in the hills requires even more skill compared to the plains. Some of the things which i follow while driving in hills , i will share here:

1.Never ever overtake in a curve(even in plains). Overtake only when you get a clear view upfront and its safe to overtake.

2.Honk your horn during curves to let know you are coming , so that even if somebody is overtaking they will be aware that another vehicle coming their way.

3.Deciding to park your ride for a photo-shoot? Always park in such a place that it does not obstruct the other vehicles passing by.

4.Leave way for the uphill going vehicles especially heavy duty vehicles.

5. Never speed especially while going downhill , be gentle on the brakes and your car.

I can think of only these for now. Everybody says driving at nights in hills is risky but i prefer night driving and feel its safer if the weather and the roads are clear. The reason being because of the glare of the headlamps i can know if another vehicle is coming in the opposite direction even in curves.
Completely agree with you Dhaya.[:)]
Even i follow the same.

Last edited by a moderator:
Want to add one more point here.

While travelling upwards, If you have to stop because of traffic, Just stop by giving enough room in front. You never know how long the front vehicle may take to get the control and move forward. Some times people fight with the clutch and accelerator. Vehicles tend to move down to some extend. [:)]

+1 to Marun , infact i follow that even inside city whenever i encounter a slope. I always maintain a safe distance from the vehicle in front of me moving upwards.

Top Bottom