Make Your Scooter / Motorcycle Headlight Brighter By 80%

I tried this on my discover 150s today just did a TD the brightness is very good now. I see 80% increase in light intensity but have to check in long run if it would drain the battery let me check tomorrow.

Thread Starter #18

bhvm

Honoured Member
I tried this on my discover 150s today just did a TD the brightness is very good now. I see 80% increase in light intensity but have to check in long run if it would drain the battery let me check tomorrow.
I'm glad that the guide could be of Help.
We are sure eager to know how it goes on. Do please post pics of your install and the beam pattern (high-low)
Will this void warranty?
Perhaps.
My scooter is 2006 so I don't care. If you can find point to point connectors/Harness, you can keep the warranty intact.

Hello BHVM, nice to know about this headlight upgrade. Have you explored the possibility of converting the half wave rectifier to a bridge. In the stator plate 1 end of charging & lighting coil is grounded to the body internally. You may disconnect this connection and solder a long wire and tap the wire out. Then have a bridge rectifier from Apache / Pulsar / Ape / etc. By theory half-wave rectifier is 40% efficient while a fullwave bridge is 80% efficient is converting AC energy to DC. Did this in my Vijai Super and lighting has considerably improved. Also planning to drop a battery in so that there is no loss of brightness at slow engine speeds.

Thread Starter #20

bhvm

Honoured Member
Hello BHVM, nice to know about this headlight upgrade. Have you explored the possibility of converting the half wave rectifier to a bridge. In the stator plate 1 end of charging & lighting coil is grounded to the body internally. You may disconnect this connection and solder a long wire and tap the wire out. Then have a bridge rectifier from Apache / Pulsar / Ape / etc. By theory half-wave rectifier is 40% efficient while a fullwave bridge is 80% efficient is converting AC energy to DC. Did this in my Vijai Super and lighting has considerably improved. Also planning to drop a battery in so that there is no loss of brightness at slow engine speeds.
hello bro,
I'll need more guidance as I haven't had a close look at alternator. I think the supply is totally ac (my multimeter in DC mode shows 0.2v , ac mode shows 14v ).
Battery is out of the picture as the voltage is only related to throttle.

But isn't the discover 150 light already of the same specs as mentioned by BHVM for upgradation?
What changes you made and where?

Thread Starter #25

bhvm

Honoured Member
Bajaj Avenger has 12V 60/55W
I guess 55w headlights are just for elite few.
All the Mainstream and Budget bikes are 35w candles. I am baffled why no one has raised voice against manufacturers as such poor lighting is unsafe. Then many folks are forced into illegal mods out of the urgency and end up messing their rides.

why no one has raised voice against manufacturers as such poor lighting is unsafe.
Definitely not for an argument.
Stock HL seems insufficient not because of their spec / design. It's because of few (??? should it be except a few) drivers using high beam & higher spec bulbs always. If everything goes well, stock HLs are more than sufficient for safe journey. They are tested for all safety requirements before they were put on road.

Thread Starter #27

bhvm

Honoured Member
Definitely not for an argument.
Stock HL seems insufficient not because of their spec / design. It's because of few (??? should it be except a few) drivers using high beam & higher spec bulbs always. If everything goes well, stock HLs are more than sufficient for safe journey. They are tested for all safety requirements before they were put on road.
I would like to disagree.
Yes the Major problem is Idiots in High beam, But even at low beams the Truck/Bus headlights are so powerful (and positioned Higher) that it feels as if our headlight has burned out !
Also the stupid incandescent Spec is from the british times. The vehicles speeds and conditons have changed now. Come on man! My Cree XML torch is brighter than usual CAR lowbeams!

Thread Starter #29

bhvm

Honoured Member
yesterday I was lucky to ride alongside a friend of mine.
the trip was about 10km on village unpaved roads which demand every lumen of illumination.
I had my modded activa and he had Very new honds shine with stock lamps.

now I can guarantee that my upgrade has made headlights atleast 80-90 percent brighter. verified.

Hi guys ill say you a method to get good visibility with 35w power.

Use hid !
Install shield as shown in picture .
You are good to go

ForumRunner_20150107_153513.png

Use this type bulb to prevent glare

ForumRunner_20150107_153503.png

Top Bottom