Mahindra's New Micro SUV Named KUV100

Thread Starter #31
Re: Mahindra Compact SUV Codenamed S101

A 6-seater with good looks at such low price with definitely sell in large numbers. EcoSport and Duster have big reason to be concerned with this. A base price of just Rs. 5 lakhs is brilliant.Simply well done.
wait till it comes out [:)]
Too soon to predict anything especially with the Indian customer. Nano was predicted to be a game changer & hardly selling so frankly you never know what might work & what might not!

On second thoughts anyone here who would really like to be seen driving an SUV? with two more passengers in the front seat itself!?? [lol] sample below

Last edited:

wait till it comes out [:)]
Too soon to predict anything especially with the Indian customer. Nano was predicted to be a game changer & hardly selling so frankly you never know what might work & what might not!

On second thoughts anyone here who would really like to be seen driving an SUV? with two more passengers in the front seat itself!?? [lol] sample below

Just what is it that you want to prove, sir?

What I said above is my personal opinion and as per my personal
thought process, I never imagined the Nano to be a success. I don't
see how that's connected to S101...this Mahindra isn't aimed to
create a new segment like Nano did, it's for providing better space,
better road presence and better styling, at the price of a hatchback,,,to
compete with compact SUVs like EcoSport, Duster, and maybe Mahi's own
Quanto that are already in the segment.

As of that picture you've posted, I simply fail to understand your
logic there. No one is being forced to sit extra people in the front here.
It's an added comfort to have the facility to seat 1 more passenger,
that doesn't mean the car won't move until 3 persons are rubbing each
other's thighs in the front, or does it?

People will sit how they want to...besides, 3 seats capacity in the
front, in my honest opinion, isn't this car one and only marketing
point...unlike the Nano, who's only claim to gain customers is it's price
tag.

S101 seems to offer (other than the extra seating capacity) -

1) bulky structure
2) monocoque chassis
3) road presence of an SUV
4) price of a hatchback at the base models
5) great styling (looking at the renderings atleast)
6) and Mahindra-typical good value

So it's not like Nano either.

Thread Starter #33

Just what is it that you want to prove, sir?
Whoa! boss take it easy, all those smileys in my post I thought would have explained that the post is in a ligther vein. [;)]

But on a serious note being a M&M cars fan myself, I think they are very much capable of coming up with a good product, but was just saying that we will only know when it hits the market if its a superseller or a flop!

I think this product is similar to Nano in the sense that it is trying to create a real new compact SUV segment below 5L(not big hatchback like Quanto/Rio etc) & disrupt the current SUV market segment very similar to how TM/Nano intended to disrupt the entry level car segment! So let's wait to see what happens! I do hope they succeed however looking at all the new things they are trying I have some doubts! Again like I said you never know the Indian market it might sell like hot cakes! (like XUV overbooking)

Mahindra’s first real compact SUV, developed under the codename ‘S101′, has been in the news for the last couple of years. The baby SUV would be made with learnings from the XUV500 project, for a segment Mahindra hasn’t sold its vehicles to before.

The tentative positioning of what would be Mahindra’s smallest creation yet, could be in the 4-6 lakh rupee segment. The S101 would brush shoulders with B+ segment hatches from Maruti and Hyundai.

The S101 carries a curvy roofline and horizontally oriented stop lights.

Like with all early prototypes, Mahindra doesn’t want you to see what’s going on in the skunk works. The mule is fully camouflaged and sections of its front and rear are missing as many part designs may not be frozen yet.

The stop light cluster is placed on either side of the tailgate unlike the Scorpio or Quanto which have them vertically stacked on the D-Pillar. The roofline is curvier than current Mahindra SUV’s. The stance could be more of a hatchback on stilts rather than that of a go-anywhere SUV’s.

The S101 could be Mahindra’s Chevrolet Trax

Considering its price and size, we are confident that the Mahindra S101 is a monocoque construction with a transverse layout. The engine displacement would be under 1.5-liters for diesel, and if there’s a petrol option, expect that to displace between 1-1.2-liters perhaps with turbocharging. The XUV branding is advisable to use, perhaps this could be sold as the XUV250.

Design of body parts such as headlamps and grille may still not be frozen.

The obvious competitors to the S101 are the Ford EcoSport, Chevrolet Trax and the Volkswagen Taigun. Should Ssangyong rebadge the S101, it can immediately offer an SUV to fill the void below the Korando in markets outside India.

Without much ado, we’re waiting for IndianAutosBlog.com’s readers to send images of a more complete Mahindra S101 test mule.

[Source - Facebook.com/MotorVikatan]

Attachments

Without much ado, we’re waiting for IndianAutosBlog.com’s readers to send images of a more complete Mahindra S101 test mule.

[Source - Facebook.com/MotorVikatan]
Damn! This thing is too small... very un-Mahindra like!

Oh another Mahindra up for testing, but looks too small than the Quanto which means it will be the entry level car for Mahindra?

Anyway we got to wait for another 2 years to see them in the roads.

This does not look like a size of a SUV at all. It looks like a mini hatch i20/Swift size.

We have to wait to see if M&M positions this as a SUV or Car.

Cheers,
Anshuman

This should probably be the small car mahindra is planning to Launch. This looks too small to me even smaller than our much awaited Ecosport. Lets wait for some more spy shots from diff angles to see if its a car or a small SUV.

I think M & M had made it clear that they are going to revise all their cars for lower GC so as to avoid it being categorised as an SUV.

Looking from the sample pictures it does look similar to a chevy trax.

My suspicion would be it would be their future in work hatchback.
Whose design may be further revised to compete with the likes of duster.

The duster's look is similar to an hatchback fitted with large tyres. So m & m too might be thinking on similar lines.

I think M & M had made it clear that they are going to revise all their cars for lower GC so as to avoid it being categorised as an SUV.

Looking from the sample pictures it does look similar to a chevy trax.

My suspicion would be it would be their future in work hatchback.
Whose design may be further revised to compete with the likes of duster.

The duster's look is similar to an hatchback fitted with large tyres. So m & m too might be thinking on similar lines.
Chevy trax is quite chunky mini suv which is a bit taller and as long as the duster . I have sat in it last month in Canada . This car has somewhat same height as the i20 check the source link they have a pic along with the i20.

The height might be a deception of watching the picture in 2d.
Cannot infer anything based on that pictures.

Caught out in the open with its camouflage partially removed, this is Mahindra’s new compact sub-four-metre car. Looking for all the world like a jacked-up version of a large hatchback, the new S101 (as it is known internally) will join Mahindra’s two other compact offerings, the Quanto and the compact Verito, in the company’s own sub-four-metre club. Who in the Indian government could have dreamt that a sop to encourage sales of hatchbacks would result in a slew of compact utility vehicles, compact saloons and compact crossovers or SUVs like this one? It’s all down to one thing, of course — Indian engineering ingenuity or juggad. Modifying things to fit our requirement is part of our DNA, after all.

The difference between the Quanto and the compact Verito on the one hand and the S101 on the other, however, is that while the former were ‘chopped’ (as it were) as an afterthought, the S101 has been based on a new monocoque platform that from the outset has been designed to have at least some of its variants duck under the four-metre mark. Look at the profile, especially the length of the bonnet and the rake of the windscreens, and it’s clear that the S101 is very different from something like a Quanto. The ‘A’ pillar starts aft of the front wheel arch, the long wheelbase stretches along almost the entire length of the car and the window line tapers towards the rear. Only the high window line sets it apart. But while the profile is very hatchback-like, Mahindra designers have added bulk to the nose of the car. The front bumper is wide, the grille is mounted high and the designers seem to have gone out of their way to give the S101 plenty of visual bulk. Go around the back and you can see that, like in the EcoSport, a space has been marked out for what looks like a rear door/hatch-mounted spare wheel. The rear-mounted spare makes this hatchback look more SUV-like and since the wheel is not considered as part of the length of the car, it helps in packaging too.

Mahindra’s unique positioning of the S101 is also clearly visible when you look inside the car. Unlike most conventional cars that have two bucket seats up front, the S101 has a single driver’s seat with a wide two-seat passenger bench sat alongside. Legroom for the middle passenger is created by moving the gearlever up to the dashboard and getting rid of the central console. Mahindra can fit six passengers into the S101 in this manner, we are sure, but we hear a seven- or even eight-seater option is also being worked on. This is because Mahindra has found that although the extra seats aren’t very comfortable and are often barely useable, having an extra set in our market is a huge selling point.

Mahindra is likely to launch the S101 with the same three-cylinder 98bhp 1500cc engine that powers the Quanto. Power and torque are likely to be upped for the new car, and for this application the engine will be transversely mounted, like that of the XUV500. While there’s no four-wheel-drive version of the S101 on the cards, there will be a new modular engine family, with petrol and diesels built around the same basic mechanical architecture. Mahindra’s new engine family is, in fact, so flexible, it is said to span from 1.2 to 1.6 litres, and M&M is reputedly spending Rs 4,300 crore on development. The petrol engine seen in the spy shots is most likely the 1.2 turbo motor and, as can be seen from the pictures, comes mated to a six-speed manual gearbox. A new 1.5 diesel, built using the same basic mechanical bits, will form the mainstay of Mahindra in the future. In addition to the S101 compact crossover, there will be other variants built on the platform. These include a more luxurious version, known as the S102, among others. The S101 will be priced aggressively, possibly starting as low as Rs 5 lakh for the base models, and that, yet again, could mean a large order book and months of waiting for eager customers. The S101 could be in the market by late 2014.

Attachments

The front seems to be inspired by the XUV5OO and remaining from the Quanto [:)]

Top Bottom