Mahindra Xylo E8 Road Test Report

Great report Zinam. But surely the era of sedan cannot be brought to an end so soon and that too by Xylo whose design doesnt appeal everybody.

Thread Starter #17
Thanks Dhaya, Ilango, Aditya, RSM, Akash & Raj!

i dont agree to this. infact it is the benchmark.
innova does 0-100 kmph in 17.3 seconds & grande does it in 16.8 seconds whereas the xylo does it in 14.5 seconds. even roll on timings are much better in the xylo.
Raj,

I am not sure about these figures! 14.5 Secs seems to be shocking [surprise]

My personal test figures below,

Innova - 17+ Secs

Grande - 15+ Secs

Xylo - 16+ Secs

So I beleive its not a bench mark in performance!

Though this has 2.5L engine , i still miss the scorpio in it. Its acceleraton is quicker than this .

For perfect test figure , we need proper equipments.

Hope Tai can buy one , I am ready to put a share. I am sure this will make Tai a step ahead

Raj,

I am not sure about these figures! 14.5 Secs seems to be shocking [surprise]

My personal test figures below,

Innova - 17+ Secs

Grande - 15+ Secs

Xylo - 16+ Secs

So I beleive its not a bench mark in performance!
the figure i meantioned was from Autocar india, they use a Vbox to test the cars, so it can be pretty accurate.

overdrive mentions a figure of 15.7 for the xylo & 17.2 for the grande, still the xylo is faster.

i can say a practical reason too. even though the grande is slightly more powerful than the xylo, the grande has been longer gearing & has been tuned more for fuel efficiency than outright performance. so initial acceleration is lethargic compared to the xylo, is what they say.

here is my version of the Xylo's TD. i had done this on 31st jan 2009, so its pretty old.

EXTERIOR PICS:

The front is quite quirky and styling is a bit odd but i liked the side & rear profile. but it does not have that that typical boxiness present in every mahindras.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

INTERIOR PICS:

# captain seats in the middle row: E6 is only available with captain seats whereas E8 is available in both captain as well as bench seats. i found both the seats very comfortable and spacious. access to seats are good but the vehicle is tall, so you climb onto the seats, not slide into them as in the innova.

5.jpg

# front seats are great, very supportive and good all round visibilty.

6.jpg

# instrument cluster is average in design though clarity is good. it makes a sound every time you switch on the turn indicators, which is unnecessary.

7.jpg

# the central console quality is average. though the AC & stereo knobs had a very good feel to it. the AC slider felt very plasticky. the DDAS displays a lot of info, more on that later.

8.jpg

# excellent thought: the vanity mirror behind the sun visor has two lights, excellent for the ladies for last minute touch ups in dark!

9.jpg

# the lights are lifted off from the scorpio itself. the spectacle holder has a very quality feel, the damped release feels good.

10.jpg

# two cup holders & recesses besides the handbrake lever. there is a small storage box too behind this. the lid of the box doubles up as another cup holder. actually, the cabin is full of armrests, cup holders & lights!

11.jpg

# middle row legroom with front seat fully pulled back.

12.jpg

# last/third row legroom.

13.jpg

# every individual has his own AC & reading light.

14.jpg

# the XXXXL grab handle in the second row.

15.jpg

# switches for fuel lid, headlight beam adjust & power mirrors besides the steering.

16.jpg

# the lockable tray under the front driver seat.

17.jpg

# front driver legroom.

18.jpg

# the water for rear wash/wipe is to be filled through this filler in the boot door.

19.jpg
20.jpg

# third row legroom.

21.jpg

# negligible boot space with all three rows in place.

22.jpg

# access to third row is fairly easy even for a tall guy like me because of the tall body. its easier than in the innova.

23.jpg

# tweeters & speakers provided in E6 & E8, quality of music is just decent.

24.jpg
25.jpg

# front legroom:

26.jpg

# green glovebox... EEKS!

27.jpg

# rear legroom with front seat fuly forward.

28.jpg

# bench seat in the second row, not available in E6.

29.jpg

THE ENGINE:

# The engine is not the most refined unit around. engine noise inside the cabin is similar to tavera. the mHawk & innova is much quiter. the performance is not as much as the scorpio CRDe or scorpio mHawk but better than the innova. outright acceleration is just decent but driveability is great. the vehicle easily pulls from 25 kmph in 3rd gear with 4 passengers.

30.jpg

# no roof mounted AC & minimal cabin lights in base verion- E2 (seems to be discontinued now).

31.jpg

# dead pedal enhances drive comfort.

32.jpg

# armrest provided even for third row passengers. the round void is for speakers, as told to me.

33.jpg

# DDAS during test drive, its in 4th gear & 46 kph.

34.jpg

# refuelling & destination arrived!

35.jpg
36.jpg

lastly, a few info i collected:

* a newer version, will be out in 6-8 months. it will have ABS & airbags.
* a new engine, code named mustang, will be out in the same time, claimed to give 16 kmpl.

(the above info was written then, both has come true. [:)])

overall, i am very impressed with the interiors of the vehicle. the engine could have been more refined.

i found the suspension a bit soft. though this gives a good ride quality, the vehicle's front dips quite a bit under hard braking. however, i noticed no swaying or bobbing. braking is good but ABS is needed. the vehicle rolls more than the innova but not as much as scorpio, safari & sumo grande.

Last edited by a moderator:
The good part apart from engines are the interiors in top model.

the interior that i like in this
Numerous cabin lights , even one in vanity mirror!
seperate reading lamps , good legroom for all.

A correction of my td in previous post . the model that i drove was e4 with painted bumpers , i have mentioned it as e6 .

It had minimum lights , individual ac vents , rear wash wipe. I didnt sit in other seats other than driver seat .

MUV'S are not meant for speed travel but for comfort and luxury , so performance and FE can be neglected!! So if we can live with the odd styling , not so refined engine and cheap plastic parts then this car is great VFM!!

One question how can they provide an MUV for the starting price of a Sedan?? Does this show the Koreans and Japanese have overpriced their cars??

Zinam how as the rigidness of the exteriors?? Was it feeling sturdy enough to survive some impacts or was the rigidness compromised to price it low??

350Z

Core Team
raj_5004 said:
# green glovebox... EEKS!
Mahindra has made an attempt to make interiors colorful, Even the above tested version has purple plastics bits which look awful.

cooldhaya said:
One question how can they provide an MUV for the starting price of a Sedan?? Does this show the Koreans and Japanese have overpriced their cars?
When Chineese car maker like Zotye can offer a compressed SUV at price of hatchback, Why not Mahindra at price of sedan? :wink:

ilango said:
A limo of xylo , got this through mail , that link went to twit pic.
I've already posted same picture in Stretched cars thread.

Drive Safe,
350Z

i heard that mahindra is already making a mini SUV (most probably like rio) & price will be in the 5-7 lakhs bracket, but i dont know how far this is true.

do they have a small engine for the mini SUV? the smallest engine they have is the 75 bhp Di unit from bolero. i am not considering the commercial engines. with good sound insulation, it will be ideal as it will offer more than enough performance & good efficiency, considering the lower kerb weight of the mini SUV than the bolero.

Well, Good report of Xylo raj. Mahindra has done spot on pricing but looks are somewhat wierdo otherwise even if they had made it nice looking like scorpio with these features, innova (which is too common)would have been eating sand!![thumbswink]

raj_5004 said:
i heard that mahindra is already making a mini SUV (most probably like rio) & price will be in the 5-7 lakhs bracket, but i dont know how far this is true.
firstly they will release world car which will be priced more than scorpio. i have not heard anything about small car, might be a rumour. do you have any link to same?

Thread Starter #30
Zinam how as the rigidness of the exteriors?? Was it feeling sturdy enough to survive some impacts or was the rigidness compromised to price it low??
It is good dhaya, but not great! worth the money

But not that tough as TATA cars.

I personally beleive all TATA cars are stronger & tougher [thumbsup]

Top Bottom