Mahindra XUV700 (AX7L D AT) Ownership Review: The Silver Surfer

On B2B traffic scenarios, when I need to drive in single pedal (Lift off brakes, the car will creep and then again apply brakes) can this be done with ADAS. I lift feet off brakes, the car will move, and when the distance is spotted by ADAS, does it automatically brake?

Thread Starter #17
On B2B traffic scenarios, when I need to drive in single pedal (Lift off brakes, the car will creep and then again apply brakes) can this be done with ADAS. I lift feet off brakes, the car will move, and when the distance is spotted by ADAS, does it automatically brake?
I think it won't work like this but the scenario where it might work is explained in the owners manual under Stop & Go. In this case if Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC) was engaged and the vehicle in front comes to a complete stop, the XUV too will follow accordingly and come to a complete stop. Only if the vehicle in front moves with-in 3 seconds will the XUV follow it automatically and start moving, else accelerator or resume button needs to be pressed. I have never tried it out as either the gap with vehicle in front will invite other road user to cut-in and if I reduce the gap to level 1, I might myself have a heart-in-mouth moment.

Manual application of brakes under any condition will disengage the ACC completely, just like any normal cruise control.

Thread Starter #18
Inspection of 1000 Kms

While the inspection was due at 1000 Kms, the first alert popped-up on the cluster at 802 Kms. Booking the appointment was a seamless experience with the With You Hamesha app and the next morning I was elated to see the level of transparency with the estimate and it’s approval also being done through the same app. While the service cost calculator in the same app shows nil amount, the total estimate was for Rs. 78 towards disposable protective covers – saw such a charge for the first time and wish there were covers for Steering and Gear lever too like in other brands I have experienced instead of just the front seats.

Post general check-up, the loose fender lining was correctly fitted and the software was re-flashed for the Matrix mode which had appeared on the screen.

All XUV7OO’s waiting for their turn for the update (takes a good 45 mins) while it was being done on another XUV (not pictured here)
1 Mahindra XUV700 Inspection - 1.jpg

Heading for the complimentary wash
1 Mahindra XUV700 Inspection - 2.jpg

Wish the disposable seat covers were really up for the task. The stain was noticed by the service advisor himself before handing me the key and was prompt in getting it sorted.
1 Mahindra XUV700 Inspection - 3.jpg

Tried my luck for the Sequential tail lamps and there was no clue regarding when they would be available. Another customer, who had come-in to get the Apple CarPlay update done, had the same query and is waiting for the tail lamps since March 2022 [frustration]

Thread Starter #20
Thanks for your quick response. More curious, Level 1 gap is how much distance maintained sir and how much you have set it to?
It's actually time-gap with Level 1 signifying 1 second gap to the vehicle in front and Level 4 probably signifying a 4 seconds gap. The distance / gap varies with speed and I usually keep varying it between Level 1 and 2 depending on the situation around.

Thread Starter #23
Quite simply the best review of the 7OO on the internet - congrats and wish you many many safe miles!
Thank you, overwhelmed by your kind words
Congrats on the beast. Any offroading adventures yet?
Thank you. Apart from the usual visit to a temple approachable only through dry river where we take all our new cars, I think I will skip the off-roading part in this.

Thread Starter #24
Took a ‘short’ trip to Chitrakoot and back covering 690 Kms on the 1st day, 390 Kms on the next day and 670 Kms on the way back. The Lights are simply amazing and the headlamps have a pretty good reach, especially when the Booster lamps kick-in. The only downside is excessive reflection from the sign boards and the reflective stickers pasted on the barricade on both sides. Also, missed the physical buttons for changing the intensity of the twin displays and to tone down the light from them you need to navigate through the menus on the center screen.

Trip stats at the first fill-up after the first day run - amazing frugality
Mahindra XUV700 Trip - 1.jpg

Final Trip stats (overall FE was close to 14 Kmpl via Tankful to Tankful method)
Mahindra XUV700 Trip - 2.jpg

The powerful lights in action (notice the reflection from sign board)
Mahindra XUV700 Trip - 3.jpg

From all shiny to all dusted
Mahindra XUV700 Trip - 4.jpg

Adaptive Cruise and Smart Pilot assist were used extensively on the expressways and they work flawlessly. Only scope of improvement is in the logic for slowing down which even in the 'Slow' setting for Adaptive Cruise Control took the XUV quite close to the vehicle in front before braking hard even when the distance was set to level 4. To counter this, best was to just touch brakes gently enough to disengage the system and coast normally like a human driver would do.

Thread Starter #26
So that can be the reason for the recent collisions heard in XUV700. The slowing down is ca;calibrated unevenly.
The calibration of braking on the edge is a bit scary to me atleast. Accidents are mostly due to over-reliance on technology while showing-off - the internet is filled all the wrong examples of ADAS use in India.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Took a ‘short’ trip to Chitrakoot and back covering 690 Kms on the 1st day, 390 Kms on the next day and 670 Kms on the way back
Thats quite some driving! The proper way a highway mile muncher should be enjoyed!
Booster lamps kick-in
This is very interesting. Can you elaborate a bit on how this works?
amazing frugality
Mahindra MID should be taken with a grain of salt. My XUV has close to 2 kmpl offset.
overall FE was close to 14 Kmpl via Tankful to Tankful method
Thats more like it.
Still very nice for a 7 seater.

Thread Starter #28
This is very interesting. Can you elaborate a bit on how this works?
There are 3 segments in the Headlamps - Low Beam, High Beam and just below the High Beam is the Booster Lamp.

With the High beam ON, the Booster Lamps or additional High Beam with Spot focus automatically turn-on when the speed exceeds 80 Kmph and stays ON till 75 Kmph.

Mahindra XUV700 Booster.jpg

Video from Mahindra

While the effect is not this dramatic as shown by Mahindra in the video (seems like Low beam to High + Booster comparison), the Booster lamps do make their presence felt and make a huge difference in lighting.

Thread Starter #29
Frustrating AdrenoX experience

It is shocking to see Mahindra releasing half-baked software without any proper testing even in this day and age. While earlier the Wireless Android Auto connection had a 50:50 chance rendering Google Maps useless when needed the most, on 10th December encountered a new issue where-in the built-in Navigation Maps also stopped working. An ignition restart after 5 mins didn’t solve the issue but magically this issue was not there when restarted after a couple of hours. But this time there was a new issue of crackling sound from the speakers whenever there was any notification or any music was played.

Video of in-built Navigation Failure
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/JXiHKZaQrRY

Video of crackling sound
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/h10lmalNALw

The vehicle was inspected the following day and while this was the primary issue, the suspension noise took priority as it was heard and confirmed in the test drive while demonstrating the Navigation / Android Auto issue. Parts availability meant the replacement would be done immediately and it didn’t take long for replacing both the lower control arms. The only thing that was odd was no alignment check was done post replacing the suspension components and there is no pull, I am not happy with the slightly heavier steering feel now.

Comparison of sound before and after lower control arms replacement on the same patch

For the Navigation / Android Auto issue, the general scan via the dedicated software was done before handing over the vehicle. Apart from this, thinking that the next visit would directly be for the 10K Kms service had got the DEF also topped-up and it took around 7.5 Litres (accounting for some spillage) to take the level from 60% to 98%.

Have covered more than 1200 Kms over the span of 6 days out of which there was a single trip of 1000 Kms in 2 days and these have been the most frustrating drives as whatever I did including praying to the almighty, restarting, delayed start till Engine light going off or even starting after overnight halt, there was no guarantee that the center screen would even turn-on, let alone limiting the issue to just Navigation or Android Auto. Since last evening the center screen has not booted-up and goes completely blank after displaying the responsibility disclaimer. Even basic features like Camera while reversing doesn’t work, HVAC works but you don’t know the fan speed or temperature set, you cannot listen to music and handsfree calling doesn’t work. In the afternoon both the screens went completely blank but the cluster screen came back to life after a minute.

Picture taken at 1823Hrs on 16 December – no camera even in R
20221216_182316.jpg

Picture taken at 1256Hrs on 17 December
20221217_125632.jpg

Picture taken at 1300Hrs on 17 December
20221217_130035.jpg

@ Mahindra – wake-up

You need to do the steering alignment sometimes. As any suspension component removal or replacement will indirectly affect the steering angle. It is not a direct relationship. The problem is EPS motor will automatically take the additional load and try to compensate it. Hence, more strain on steering.

Top Bottom