Mahindra XUV5OO: "The Dark Knight" Buying & Ownership Experience [65K Kms Crossed]

Thread Starter #61
re: Mahindra XUV5OO: "The Dark Knight" Buying and Initial Ownership Experience

Iron Rock - man, I am not sure how I missed this thread, but reading it gave me a sense of elation! Great review and great color. You have found the beauty in the beast [:)]

XUV5OO is a game changer for sure. I am hoping that this opens a new segment in niche UVs at affordable prices, as I plan to own one in next 2-3 years.

So what is your ODO reading now? Any new experiences or surprises?
Thanks Thetraveller, the XUV has clocked 1600 kms so far..i will keep updating the experiences/surprises in the thread - have highlighted the niggles too in my review..I must add the gearbox is getting smoother after every run, especially once its warmed up..

Some observations - the XUV can run in 2nd and 3rd gear on itself without any application of the throttle( am sure this is common with some of the other diesel cars too ). I have seen this even works on inclines - speaks volumes of the torquey nature of the car..Please note this is just an observation i wanted to share..

zengetz

Suspended

Some observations - the XUV can run in 2nd and 3rd gear on itself without any application of the throttle( am sure this is common with some of the other diesel cars too ). I have seen this even works on inclines - speaks volumes of the torquey nature of the car..Please note this is just an observation i wanted to share..
I think this is normal with all CRDi engines. My Getz also pulls itself over inclines with zero throttle. Thats torque for you [thumbswink]

Thread Starter #63

@Iron Rock: I can see a kid in the front, make sure it is accompained by anyone in the front.

Or they must be made to sit in the middle seat with seat belt, as they are the precious cargo you carry.

The pic looks cool [glasses]...
Offcourse safety is of paramount importance and i am glad people like you reiterate this across forums...she(my kid) is only in the front seat for the short offroad excursion and thats coz i have told her she can spot dinosaurs in the jungles [lol]

@Iron, Nice start on off roadin. Any more pics or experiences?

Thread Starter #65

did i take the mahindra cheetah thing a bit too seriously ?
watch out for the cheetah in the bushes[lol]

Attachments

Real nice snap. Its worth a try this way im sure.

AMG

Suspended

It must take a lot of balls to take a brand new car off road.

@Iron Rock: Cheetah is waiting, but where is the prey :biggrin:.

Jokes apart, and do buy a Sonax Carnauba wax to keep the Cheetah away from Scratches...

Thread Starter #70

It must take a lot of balls to take a brand new car off road.
Well i always knew that this minor offroad excursion is inevitable for me and this was part of a criteria while the car selection process was on - as i mentioned before i wud have preferred a AWD but given the timeline restrictions i went for a FWD. I have already suggested the RM that i would want the AWD kit fitted once Mahindra gets some breather from the backlog, may be in a year or so ill think abt it..While the fortuner can do these stuff with its engine shut off (ohh well nearly), i wasnt sure about Aria, the Aria ground clearance is not a problem at all, but its approach angle which i wasnt sure about - especially it has rubber aerodams beneath the front bumper for some aerodynamic reason , i was sure tht would get damaged in my run.

With the XUV , i was crawling underneath it in the showroom at pune and people were giving strange looks - whats wrong with this guy , why this pervert behaviour of peeping underneath [frustration] - but honestly i was only doing some math to ensure i wouldnt damage it in my run, yes there cud be some very minor scratches in the underbody at maxx but thats due to the weed/grass.[cheers].. i was a bit apprehensive of the fog lamp positioning - but that turned out to be not a problem at all for my needs, the only thing tht comes close to the ground is the front mud flaps, but even that doesnt hit..just for comparison purpose most cars which go via this route hit below , havent tried the SX4 though..

mukeshus said:
Jokes apart, and do buy a Sonax Carnauba wax to keep the Cheetah away from Scratches...
i have got a Meguiar wax, is the carnauba better than that ? never tried the sonax one yet..

Well i always knew that this minor offroad excursion is inevitable for me and this was part of a criteria while the car selection process was on - as i mentioned before i wud have preferred a AWD but given the timeline restrictions i went for a FWD. I have already suggested the RM that i would want the AWD kit fitted once Mahindra gets some breather from the backlog, may be in a year or so ill think abt it.

i have got a Meguiar wax, is the carnauba better than that ? never tried the sonax one yet..
I guess you cannot fit it afterwards , the whole wiring's Torque on Demand needs to be programmed.

So its infeasible to get it converted into AWD.

Here in Bangalore, Sonax & Armor All products are fast moving..

Thread Starter #72

I guess you cannot fit it afterwards , the whole wiring's Torque on Demand needs to be programmed.

So its infeasible to get it converted into AWD.

Here in Bangalore, Sonax & Armor All products are fast moving..
Lets see, i am hopeful its possible and not at the dealership but at Mahindra factory at Chakan[;)] , its a short drive from Pune

Lets see, i am hopeful its possible and not at the dealership but at Mahindra factory at Chakan[;)] , its a short drive from Pune
I remember to build the rally Lancers they shut down the factory for 3 days so the car could be put on line,quite unlikely they will slot a car into there line for a work(guess you were sarcastic),the job your looking to do is quite a handful,better enjoy the car as it is.

Thread Starter #75

I forgot mentioning about the fuel efficiency and surprisingly no one asked( are there really any indians on this forum ?[;)] )

Well the first tankful to tankful test gave something between 16.5-17.5, The cut off while filling the fuel didnt happen very correctly so am giving the above as a conservative estimate. Now this is with a lot of highway driving + driving over some real bad roads at not more than 30-40 kmph + some city driving.

In the highway the system shows usually between 19-21 kmpl for sedate driving under 100 kmph. I would still not go ga ga over these figures and wait for one or two more back to back tankful tests. Also to remember is the XUV is still in running period and i do not drive it hard.
But the early indications are fuel efficiency seems to be good for its class.

Top Bottom