Mahindra XUV500 vs Tata Aria vs Toyota Innova!

Your choice?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Guys XUV is definitely more VFM than ARIA, but then ARIA has got something extra:

1/ Traction control system (TCS) missing in XUV. this feature is used in formula 1 cars for better grip during cornering,kudos to tata for incorparating this amazing feature in aria.

2/Dual zone mass flywheel.improves the top speed which in the case of Aria is 170 kmph and in case of XUV only 160 kmph.also enhances engine refinement.

3/Ventilated disc brakes.

4/ rear parking camera

5/ better plastic quality

Now the features which XUV has and not found in Aria:

1/ Tyre tronic.

2/hill assist.

well I agree..TCS should be there in XUV500 but other are technical features which dont bother normal people!!

Mahindra one a battle with pricing.

The hype created through intelligent use of media is appreciable.
Pre launch impression of a higher price was planted smartly in our minds and then on launch date presented a spot on price.

Good work from Mahindra.

Aria is the best amoung the three here in terms of Ride Quality, Stability, safety features, build quality, road presence, comfort and grace.

Inspite of all the above, the fact remains that Aria price is high - mainly because of three reasons.

1. The exterior looks similar to Innova gave an impression that its a same class vehicle.
2. Failed in right marketing, PR startegy both before launch and after launch.
3. Mahindra XUV5oo price is spot on.

Thread Starter #19
Guys XUV is definitely more VFM than ARIA, but then ARIA has got something extra:

1/ Traction control system (TCS) missing in XUV. this feature is used in formula 1 cars for better grip during cornering,kudos to tata for incorparating this amazing feature in aria.

2/Dual zone mass flywheel.improves the top speed which in the case of Aria is 170 kmph and in case of XUV only 160 kmph.also enhances engine refinement.

3/Ventilated disc brakes.

4/ rear parking camera

5/ better plastic quality

Now the features which XUV has and not found in Aria:

1/ Tyre tronic.

2/hill assist.
You are not entirely correct.

XUV has dual mass flywheel. instead of rear camera, it has sensors.

Features extra in XUV 500 AWD compared to Aria Pride 4x4:
1) Hill hold & hill descent
2) LED DRLs
3) Touchscreen music system with DVD
4) Tyre pressure monitors
5) Telescopic Power steering
6) Voice Control

I am not mentioning nitty features like Conversational mirror, More torque, Bigger fuel tank, 6 speed manual, etc.

One thing is definite.
Mahindra did not let us down .Kind of advertisement to end result; it was stunning.
In every possible side Xuv is tempting and worth.
Aria is way too lagging and fading it is too much of feature for too much of money.

Yet i feel Xuv cannot break the record sale of Toyota Innova
I feel somethings are still missing for potential buyer ,but i would be more than happy if they could make toyota eat dust.

You are comparing a SUV (XUV) with 2 MUV/MPVs (Aria & Innova). Is it fair?

What factors will influence a customer to buy one among those?

I still think, people will go for Innova than XUV.

Or are there customers like me who first booked Toyota Etios and to kill time, went to nearby Mahindra dealer, saw the "Beast" (Scorpio), was completely bowled over by it, cancelled Etios and finally got the Mighty? [lol]

Note: I voted for XUV500 !

Jusy read the official press release by mahindra XUV has not got dual mass flywheel,
it has only a VGT in addition to scorpio m-hawk which helps it pump out 140 ps power. Those who think XUV should not be compared with innova are right, two cars for two different people INNOVA=MUV
XUV=SUV (soft-roader)
Those who think it should not be compared to ARIA are wrong,
ARIA=CUV (crossover utility vehicle)
XUV=SUV
both cars are for similar customers, who do not want plain jain people moving but also want to have some fun.

Thread Starter #24
You are comparing a SUV (XUV) with 2 MUV/MPVs (Aria & Innova). Is it fair?

What factors will influence a customer to buy one among those?

I still think, people will go for Innova than XUV.

Or are there customers like me who first booked Toyota Etios and to kill time, went to nearby Mahindra dealer, saw the "Beast" (Scorpio), was completely bowled over by it, cancelled Etios and finally got the Mighty? [lol]

Note: I voted for XUV500 !
Hmm, I wont say that the XUV is an SUV. I think it cannot be an off roader like the scorpio. Its has not got 4WD, it has got AWD. Its has not got lockable 4WD either, its torque on demand.

By the way, in the excel sheet, I have mentioned the W8 2WD but mentioned the features of W6, I am sorry. W8 2WD has got all the features of W8 AWD, unlike in Aria. So that makes the XUV more VFM & desirable!

Meanwhile, a sales consultant in Mahindra tells me that the XUV500 indeed has traction control but its bundled along with the ESP. Hence it is not mentioned explicitly. The brochure also mentions something similar. So I am adding that to the feature list also.

Also, I am changing LED DRLs to LED parking lights because they are not exactly DRLs!

Also, since now we have the mumbai pricing, I am changing all the prices to Mumbai ex-showroom since Delhi ex-showroom pricing of Aria is unavailable. This would make a fair comparison.

The corrected xls file is attached. Vibhor, please attach this file to the opening post. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
On paper XUV is a potent force more so because of its VFM factor. But lets wait a bit to see how it performs in real world. I mean to say how niggle/issue free it is.

Innova has legendary quality - no second opinion about that. Thats why people are continuously putting 10+L money on this slightly outdated vehicle. At the end of the day, people know what they are paying for and what they will get in return.

I am happy to observe that on general, Aria ownership reviews have been positive. Unlike other Tata vehicle, it is largely niggle free. So if the word of mouth spreads then we could see a positive jump in Aria's sale figure. Mind you, there was a time when Innova sales were also not very good and it did not posses any waiting period.

So will XUV be turn out to be atleast 75% as reliable as Innova is the big question here. Its one thing to pack your car with feature- its quite another to see how many of them actually work after some time.

I am not discarding XUV yet - just waiting a bit to see its true worth.

On paper XUV is a potent force more so because of its VFM factor. But lets wait a bit to see how it performs in real world. I mean to say how niggle/issue free it is.

Innova has legendary quality - no second opinion about that. Thats why people are continuously putting 10+L money on this slightly outdated vehicle. At the end of the day, people know what they are paying for and what they will get in return.

I am happy to observe that on general, Aria ownership reviews have been positive. Unlike other Tata vehicle, it is largely niggle free. So if the word of mouth spreads then we could see a positive jump in Aria's sale figure. Mind you, there was a time when Innova sales were also not very good and it did not posses any waiting period.

So will XUV be turn out to be atleast 75% as reliable as Innova is the big question here. Its one thing to pack your car with feature- its quite another to see how many of them actually work after some time.

I am not discarding XUV yet - just waiting a bit to see its true worth.
Good to see that TAI is a well balanced forum.

Words of caution and maturity coming amidst extravagant celebration

Last edited:
In all this, we are forgetting the new Toyota Fortuner 2012, which will have 4x2 option & will be much cheaper than current one. If Fortuner 4x2 falls under 17L, then the top end of XUV & Aria will have a run for its money coz even 4x2 Fortuner will be better than 4x4 XUV or Aria. Will start a new thread on this.

Thread Starter #28
In all this, we are forgetting the new Toyota Fortuner 2012, which will have 4x2 option & will be much cheaper than current one. If Fortuner 4x2 falls under 17L, then the top end of XUV & Aria will have a run for its money coz even 4x2 Fortuner will be better than 4x4 XUV or Aria. Will start a new thread on this.
The current Fortuner 4x4 costs almost 23.5 lacs on road in mumbai. Even with 4x2, it may cost atleast 21.5 lacs. Top end AWD XUV costs 15 lacs on road & Aria 4x4 costs 19 lacs on road. So, there is a huge difference.

Tata Motors please reduce ARIA prices by upto 3 lac rs :please:, it will shoot the Cheeta down in its track, here is my price list for ARIA

Pure 4x2 = 8.50 lks
Pleasure 4x2 = 9.50 lks
Pleasure 4x4 = 10.50 lks
Prestige 4x2 = 11 lks
Prestige 4x4 = 12 lks
PRIDE 4X4 = 13 LKS
Tata Motors, hurry up before its too late, RATAN TATA are you listening [glasses]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom