Mahindra XUV500 Gets 4 Star Crash Test Rating

Aussies get nothing extra!!
Then Mahindra will also not get any significant 'extra' boost in sales of XUV.Safety is okay,I am talking about the quality thing.

Iron Rock, Thanks for posting the link to the safety report document. I had not seen this report before but I knew SUVs and Vans are the safest (based on my experience in the US) mostly due to the maturity of drivers. I remember reading somewhere that light trucks are the safest. Unlike in India, in the US lots of people buy personal light trucks. They are called pickup trucks. The pickup truck drivers have loads of experience and hardly get into trouble on the road.
Cheers,
Rafian

But this is due to driver & not vehicle. If driver is idiot, he can even crash a train, forget cars & trucks. [lol]

Iron Rock, Thanks for posting the link to the safety report document. I had not seen this report before but I knew SUVs and Vans are the safest (based on my experience in the US) mostly due to the maturity of drivers. I remember reading somewhere that light trucks are the safest. Unlike in India, in the US lots of people buy personal light trucks. They are called pickup trucks. The pickup truck drivers have loads of experience and hardly get into trouble on the road.
The only issue with these trucks and SUVs is that when they get into trouble then all the experience goes to hell and drivers are found trying to just control them in some last moments of their life.
While the sedan drivers just make a clean sweep by giving a good steering+brakes/accelerator input.

In my views,the handling thing must also be considered while giving ANCAP ratings.It will make nearly all the sedans 5 star rated and nearly all the trucks 2 star rated.

The only issue with these trucks and SUVs is that when they get into trouble then all the experience goes to hell and drivers are found trying to just control them in some last moments of their life.
While the sedan drivers just make a clean sweep by giving a good steering+brakes/accelerator input.

In my views,the handling thing must also be considered while giving ANCAP ratings.It will make nearly all the sedans 5 star rated and nearly all the trucks 2 star rated.

yet i see more fatalities in sedans than an SUV crash simply because the head on collision on an suv takes place to the bonnet whereas the sedan the impact is at the windshield.

i am taking about incidents where the rear bumpers of the trucks are removed so the sedan gets under the rear of the truck and crashes through the windshield.

Don't worry buddy,then also most of the times its the seven people loaded heavy SUVs which are unable to stop in time.
In other words,everyday at least one SUV goes out and overturns in farms on NH-58.While its seldom we hear same about sedans and if you think who is faster,then I can bet that only one of 50 SUVs are faster than sedans here.

yet i see more fatalities in sedans than an SUV crash simply because the head on collision on an suv takes place to the bonnet whereas the sedan the impact is at the windshield.

i am taking about incidents where the rear bumpers of the trucks are removed so the sedan gets under the rear of the truck and crashes through the windshield.
Most of the sedans which you are talking about must be budget ones without safety mechanics in place. But if you see Pune-Mumbai expressway, almost 90% of the time, accident involves a UV/truck. Just last week, about 30 vehicles piled up in an accident. The culprit was Xylo. Reasons given by cops are :-

Speeding & jumps divider,
Turns turtle,
Some other vehicle changes lane in front & UV driver couldn't take 11th hour 'cut' & rams in rear.

Out of control & turning turtle are common. This is not only with scorpio but even pajeros have flipped.

Expressways & fast highways are not the place for UVs, simple.

Don't worry buddy,then also most of the times its the seven people loaded heavy SUVs which are unable to stop in time.
In other words,everyday at least one SUV goes out and overturns in farms on NH-58.While its seldom we hear same about sedans and if you think who is faster,then I can bet that only one of 50 SUVs are faster than sedans here.
+1. And why does SUV/UV goes in farm ? Because it is its native place. [lol]

Thread Starter #40
Whether its a budget sedan or expensive one, any sedan would go under a truck because of the low bonnet height. We have a person who died in the S class after rear ending a truck.

And i heard the accident which happened on the express highway was because of a TATA 407, not Xylo.

Corrections :-

Whether its a budget sedan or expensive one, any sedan would go under a truck because of the low bonnet height. We have a person who died in the S class after rear ending a truck.
The front was completely in shape of this S Class, not a single scratch on bonnet, lights or anywhere. It was just that something/some part of truck directly hit the driver's head after smashing the windscreen. Only the windscreen was damaged, rest was fine. Buddy, if someone shoots bullet through the glass, what will your ABS, airbags etc. do ??

And i heard the accident which happened on the express highway was because of a TATA 407, not Xylo.
Pro M & M, anti-Tata !! [lol]

As the state highway police began clearing the snarl, a Xylo SUV broke down on the expressway barely an hour later and was hit by another vehicle.

The vehicle then reversed and drove off. However, the Xylo in the middle of the expressway caused another pile-up of eight-nine vehicles.
Barring minor damage to the vehicles and injuries to 10 people, there were no other major emergency, said police.
A highway control room official said that due to the traffic snarl, the Pune-Mumbai traffic was diverted to the old Mumbai-Pune highway.
At present, traffic is moving at a snail's pace on the expressway. The authorities hope to restore normalcy by night.

Traffic halts on Pune-Mumbai Expressway after freak accidents - India News - IBNLive

Pune-Kamshet about 47 kms,
Mumbai-Kamshet about 127 kms.

I know this news better as this happened towards Pune side. [lol]

Thread Starter #42
The front was completely in shape of this S Class, not a single scratch on bonnet, lights or anywhere. It was just that something/some part of truck directly hit the driver's head after smashing the windscreen. Only the windscreen was damaged, rest was fine. Buddy, if someone shoots bullet through the glass, what will your ABS, airbags etc. do ??
If a sedan goes under a truck, it is not necessary that the headlights should be damaged as the impact can directly be on the bonnet and windshield.

As the state highway police began clearing the snarl, a Xylo SUV broke down on the expressway barely an hour later and was hit by another vehicle.

Here we are talking about how safe vehicles are and you are talking about a Xylo which broke down and caused a crash behind it... Great. How is this connected?

Read the article please, they have clearly mentioned that it was a tempo (TATA 407) which initiated the crash. In a separate incident, a Xylo broke down and was rear ended. And very conveniently, you quoted the wrong part....

Anyways, a colleague was stuck in the jam and he told me that the first vehicle (407) was stuck and the driver switched ON it's hazard lights. Since it was drizzling, every driver on the express highway had its hazard lights turned ON. So the drivers coming from behind dint realize that the vehicle was actually stationary and rear ended. This caused a huge pile up. Its a simple case of driver error.

Last edited:
Buddy that case was entirely different.
You know why all the hype has settled down and no fines were paid by Mercedes?
The reason is simple,this car was going very fast and instead of tailgating it ended up colliding with a long hauler from left side and hence the driver side just entered under the truck.Result,the driver faced complete impact on his body because A pillars in any car are weak enough to let the accidents intrude the cabin.Even a Volvo could have not saved the passenger in this case.

About SUV thingy,maybe the cumbersome SUV would have caused even more damage in this case.
BTW,I am doubtful if an SUV can even bear high steering inputs.
Once a freaky accident occurred on NH 58 when a family which was being driven in a Scorpio met an accident.The reason was:-
A truck came in their lane with Scorpy doing about 100 kph and the driver swerved to save the collision and as a result the Scorpy overturned and ended up felling in a roadside ditch after sliding for about 30-40 meters while the trucker had already moved and cleared the way for the SUV if he wouldn't have swerved and just applied quite hard brake and moved on.
WOW,the dynamics they are..[clap]
Maybe S-class is true,the SUVs love being int he farms and out of road-their native place.

Top Bottom