Mahindra XUV500 - Buying and Ownership of Silver Streak

According to a friend of mine, all XUVs manufactured after May will be trouble free. This is the new batch of XUVs with most of the issues sorted out and feedbacks from customers incorporated.

However, he was not sure about the brake grinding issue.

Congrats on your beast, Sandeep. That car can even rival the Audi Q3 in terms of styling, only if the Mahindra badge was not there. The equipment list can put many Mercs and BMWs to shame. This is truly a built for India car. You could put a sofa in the second row and use it as a lounge. That much space is there. Third row space is average. Can you post some pics of the boot. I have heard and seen it is small. Just want to confirm it on the selling versions.

Thread Starter #18
Thanks Surya.

The boot space (if you can call it that) is virtually non-existent. There is about 9 inches between the seat and the rear door. I can barely get the laptop bag in standing position in that space. When I put the laptop bag I somehow balance it and close the door. I have to be careful while opening the rear door. After the drive, the bag is invariably leaning on the rear door. So I have to open the door a little, somehow support the bag with my hand and then open the door completely while sitting in an awkward position so that the door can be pushed up, the bag is supported and the head is saved from banging into the door. So consider boot space as 0 with all three rows up.

Thanks Surya.

The boot space (if you can call it that) is virtually non-existent. There is about 9 inches between the seat and the rear door. I can barely get the laptop bag in standing position in that space. When I put the laptop bag I somehow balance it and close the door. I have to be careful while opening the rear door. After the drive, the bag is invariably leaning on the rear door. So I have to open the door a little, somehow support the bag with my hand and then open the door completely while sitting in an awkward position so that the door can be pushed up, the bag is supported and the head is saved from banging into the door. So consider boot space as 0 with all three rows up.
Sad to know that. I expected more from such a large vehicle [cry] Anyway, I guess it makes up for that in other areas.

And one more thing - What do you FEEL about the quality of the plastics? They look great, but I have an everlasting doubt that the quality might be poor to accomodate the car in that price tag.

And I should say, silver is the best colour for the XUV. And that photo about the XUV waiting for delivery shows it next to a Bolero. It is difficult to say that both were made by the same company. The XUV is miles ahead of the Bolero.

One more doubt - how did the salesman pronounce the name at the showroom? When I checked it out, they said that it was pronounced five-double-o, or five-o-o and not five hundred.

Happy motoring! [drive]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #21
And one more thing - What do you FEEL about the quality of the plastics? They look great, but I have an everlasting doubt that the quality might be poor to accomodate the car in that price tag.

And I should say, silver is the best colour for the XUV. And that photo about the XUV waiting for delivery shows it next to a Bolero. It is difficult to say that both were made by the same company. The XUV is miles ahead of the Bolero.

One more doubt - how did the salesman pronounce the name at the showroom? When I checked it out, they said that it was pronounced five-double-o, or five-o-o and not five hundred.

Happy motoring! [drive]
Hi,

The plastic quality is reasonably fine. It may not be the best quality but I think its fine and works.

For the car, mostly it was referred only as "XUV" rather than full "XUV500". But I read somewhere that it is "five-double-oh", at the same time I have heard reviewers like Hormazd call it "five hundred".

Thread Starter #22
Does MapMyIndia has voice instructions for turn by turn indication. I tried take me home and it was showing the route. But there was no voice assistance. The radio was on. Do I have to mute the radio to get the voice assistance on turns?

Thread Starter #24
SPMM- how is the car treating you so far ? How was the service experience ?
Its going great so far. I have tried almost all features and they work. I keep trying them once in a while to check that all are working. Some features viz GPS, USB music, Radio, voice control are used everyday. Service, I had to go a few times which I wrote in the first post. The "first service" is still a few weeks away. Will update once I experience that.

Does MapMyIndia has voice instructions for turn by turn indication. I tried take me home and it was showing the route. But there was no voice assistance. The radio was on. Do I have to mute the radio to get the voice assistance on turns?
Yes mapmyindia has voice instruction I use it almost every day when I get lost in delhi :P

Thread Starter #26
Yes mapmyindia has voice instruction I use it almost every day when I get lost in delhi :P
Got the voice assistance to work. The setting is a bit weird. In Menu->General->Sound->Volume, there is a "NAV Mute" setting which has to be set to "OFF". Better would have been "NAV Voice" with MUTE and UNMUTE options. Anyway. Got it to work and it works with radio/music on too. This menu also has the setting to turn off the welcome message. Did that too.

Thread Starter #29
Hi SPMM hows the drives so far - any long drives planned ? any feedback good or bad ?
Hi Amit. I am planning a short long drive (thats a new term I guess [;)]) in Sep. I would have gone through first service by that time. Will update after doing that. Drive so far has been good. As I mentioned, one issue that definitely is a major niggle is that disconnected feel from front suspension while crossing a speed bump. I am not sure how to describe it exactly. When I take the car over a bump, as the front wheels are descending on the other side, I feel two movements. First one seems like whole suspension assembly moving with respect to body and the second one the suspension taking the load on completing the descent. First one is the one I think should not be there. Any expert opinion on it?

I like welcome message : P
I found it bit distracting. Especially the loud volume. The message still plays on startup but the volume is muted. So its a combination which some would prefer [:)]

Last edited by a moderator:
well the suspension of XUV isnt its prime strength, suspension set up has never been Mahindra's strength generally i think, Tatas are a master of that. But the XUV is more tuned towards driveability and handling, so yes some compromises to make.

I found suspension at low speeds rocky and better at medium speeds from say 60-100 more so when you are loaded it feels much better.

Top Bottom