Mahindra Verito Ownership Review

Do you like this review and find it useful?

• I am not sure.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. Not helpful.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thread Starter #1
Dear friends. I am starting this new thread about Mahindra's Verito. Here is my first review that appeared in other fora last year. This car has done 20000 Kms under various road and climatic conditions and I am adding some more information. Hope this will be useful.

Full Review (July 2011)

I got my new car on 7th of July 2011 and next day I drove it from Shimla to Yamunanagar (a total distance of 215 kilometers) in very bad weather. The rain was falling and the National Highway was slippery. Out of 215 Kms, 90 Kms track is in the hills. At many places the road was not good and I had to suffer traffic jam at Kalka, Pinjaur and Panchkula. Same happened on my return journey. Heavy rains and traffic jams. yet Verito, in its maiden run gave 20.9 Kms per litre, which is really very good, keeping in view that the car is new and has done less thna 500 Kms. With first and second service, the car will give more thna 23 Kms per litres. This is what I feel. In good weather one can expect even more provided one drives this car with love and affection.

Exterior
The new Verito has good looks from outside though it is a metter of personal perception and attitude. People may find the car still like Logan and not very dashing from outside (box shape etc.). Yet I feel that Verito, with small modifications, has an improved look. It seems to be a seasoned person's car, not for young people. Looks are deceiving and performance should the criterion.

Interior (Features, Space & Comfort)

As I stated elsewhere in my previous review, cabin space is adequate. In many cars of this segment, space in the back is not adequate with the result that three healthy persons can not sit comfortably. I test drove Lienia and other cars and found back space somewhat cramped. The car is wider than even the Manza. Three persons can sit comfortably in the back with ample leg room. Front seats are also quite wide and comfortable for long drives. There are some controls which are placed at odd places, but I feel that one gets used to them very soon. The indicators are placed on the left and it may take time to get used to them.

Quality of plastic, fabric etc. is good keeping in view the price of the car. One can not expect top end material in a car of this price range. Yet interior is pragmatic and should be OK with most of the buyers.

Engine Performance, Fuel Economy and Gearbox

As I wrote in my earlier review, the best part of the car is its engine and the power that it emits. Even though the diesel engine produces less power than manza, yet there was no lag in acceleration and torque. But at times in heavy traffic, I was having a bit of trouble to move the car. But this is expected. In hills, torque is more important than power and Verito does the job appreciably. The gears are smooth. The brake pedal is a bit hard (wooden feel it gives). But the engineer told me that it will become somewhat soft after some use.

I wish Mahindra people do something to increase the power by a few PS.

Fuel economy is very good. Mahindra cars have lived up to their claims. Though I could not test the car for long duration, but what other users have told me the fuel efficiency is more than expected. I will get my car in a few days and I am going on a very long trip the same day testing the car in all sort of conditions. After that I will again write this review.

Ride Quality & Handling

Now after driving the car for about 450 Kms in one go, I will say that handling of car was exceptionally good. Ride quality was fine and I did not feel tired at all. The steering is smooth and responsive. First time buyers should be careful with steering as it is very responsive. I did not get the feeling that I was driving a bigger car.

Final Words

I will definitely recommend this car even if one finds its exteriors not very trendy. At this price point, one can not expect feature of very high end cars. But this car has all those features which are needed by a common user. Go for this car without a second thought. I said elsewhere that as a good looking girl may not be a good wife, so a very good looking car may not be the best option. Incidently, my mechanic in Yamunanagar approved this car and the car got looks of appreciation from many people walking on the road.

Areas of improvement

Boot lid needs some more improvement for better looks. Audio system is needed in almost all the varients.

Latest experience (August 2012)

This month my Verito completed 20000 Kms. under various road and climatic conditions. I have been driving throughout Himachal Pradesh, Haryana, Punjab, Chandigarh and Delhi. In nutshell, I may say that the car behaved pretty well and I enjoyed the ride. There are a few areas which need improvement. Some of the these areas have been taken care of by the company in its New version of Verito like placement of various controls and shape of boot etc. Still I feel that the engine is a bit underpowered. hence one has to change gears in city driving. A bit more power may take care of this little inconvenience.

The other problem is with the bumpers of my D4. When I bought the car I was told that fog lamps can be fitted in D4. So I bought a pair of fog lamps from the dealer in Shimla. Later I was told that this is not possible as there was no provision in the bumper of D4. recently I went to Chandigarh and discussed this problem with Swami Automobiles and the engineer also confirmed what my dealer told me. This is unfortunate. I was also told that if I want fog lamps I will have to change the bumper. M&M should have taken care of this small problem. During rains and winter months, fog poses a big problem. And I drive a lot even in these months. Well I returned the fog lamps only yesterday. In Chandigarh, I changed the main headlamps with tubes having some yellow tinge. This has helped me a bit in driving in foggy weather.

The other problem that I have been facing is the leakage of air from driver side tyre. All options have been tried, but the tyre losses 4 to 5 pound of air in 24 hours. Now the last measure is to change the tyre itself. Let me hope this solves the problem. I do not know if installation of good alloy wheels will solve this leakage problem and make the ride more comfortable.

Some persons may not find driver seat very comfortable. But I think driver seat should not be very comfortable as it may sing the driver into sweet sleep. What other car owners say, I do not know. But even if I drive from Shimla to Amritsar (375 Kms) non-stop, I do not feel tired (my age 66 years).

Still I feel that Verito is a good family car. Even though M&M has pushed up the price by 40 to 60 thousand rupees, still it is a good choice for people who want adequate comfort and vast cabin and boot space at this price point.

Suggestions and comments will be welcome. have a good day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Mahindra Verito

Fantastic review I think this is first ever review i read on TAI.
Verito is infact a very very good no nonsense work horse .and its good to know the car has served you great. Now the verito is even more attractive as mahindra has done a phenomenal job on the facelift and the car looks very modern and stylish .
Hope it sells more because it deserves that .
I hope the car serves you many many lakh kms in future.
Thanks for the nice review and the effort you took to compile one.

Nice crisp review. Yes I like Verito for it provides at the price range. And now the new verito have improved a lot exterior and interiors wise. Hope it makes a good sales figure.

Excellent writeup mr.Keshav, finally we have a Verito man in the forum [:)].
Its really a no nonsense sedan.

Thread Starter #6
Dear Friends. Thanks for the comments and replies. Yes, Verito is a good car and I have driven some of the real good ones. New Verito has been facelifted and I found it to be more attractive. But people like me are more interested in performance etc. Last year in one of my reviews I concluded with the remarks that a car is like a girl. You have to decide whether you want an efficient wife or only a pretty wife. I will post photographs of Varito in a day or so.

Today I bought Eon Magna for my elder son. Our Alto 2001 needs a bit of rest though it still gives good service and 20 Kms/Ltr fuel efficiency. Thanks again.

Dr.keshav

A very well written crisp & impressive review [clap]

I have a question for you. Do you think that with the upgraded Verito launched recently the pricing of this sedan will justify with its power & others when we compare other cars in the same league. If you look at the new Verito pricing, which other car you feel which will be better than Verito [:)]

Thread Starter #8
Dear Sir. Thanks for a very pertinent question. When I bought Verito in July 2011, I was given some discount and I paid only Rs. 5,88,000.00 (Verito D4, BS III). I also got Rs. 5000.00 for accessories. Now the new Verito is a bit overly priced. This may affect the sales. At this price point I can suggest two sedans: Swift Desire and Tata Manza. Etios has some serious shortcommings. Toyota people here asked me to test drive Etios which I will do. M&M should reduce the price. The dealer in Shimla confided that M&M may further increase the price of Verito. And this is possible. In fact some other good cars are between 7.60 lakhs to 9.00 lakhs. I think buyers will opt for Desire in near future as compared to Verito.

Thread Starter #9
I would like to add something more. M&M are very competent in SUVs etc. Verito is not their bread winner. hence a bit of neglect by M&M.

^that is true. Regarding pricing i think the pricing is due to the sourcing/royalty of the engine from renault.

I wish they do consider building a 1.5L 4 pot on their own. This could make way for better fuel efficient engines in the boleros, quanto too.

Last edited:
Dear Sir. Thanks for a very pertinent question. When I bought Verito in July 2011, I was given some discount and I paid only Rs. 5,88,000.00 (Verito D4, BS III). I also got Rs. 5000.00 for accessories. Now the new Verito is a bit overly priced. This may affect the sales. At this price point I can suggest two sedans: Swift Desire and Tata Manza. Etios has some serious shortcommings. Toyota people here asked me to test drive Etios which I will do. M&M should reduce the price. The dealer in Shimla confided that M&M may further increase the price of Verito. And this is possible. In fact some other good cars are between 7.60 lakhs to 9.00 lakhs. I think buyers will opt for Desire in near future as compared to Verito.
+100 sir, This is what I was feeling about the pricing. No doubt it is a no nonsense car, but people really opting for Dzire and yes more also going to Manza these days due to the booking time with Maruti and other problems.
Yes they need to think of this new model pricing once again, other wise TATA will be the first winner due to quick delivery and continued by Dzire. Yes Etios has those short comings and from the heart it was the first such product from Toyota, I could not digest after looking at its interiors and with a TD of the same.

Thread Starter #12
Here are some photos of my Verito.

Attachments

This is the car my mind always chooses and my heart always rejects and somehow heart wins the battle every time. I took a test drive of recently upgraded D6 and I must admit that the looks and features provided are much much better now, but unfortunately the price is also increased by 47k, however alloy wheels and electric adjusted ORVM have been added.
Plastic quality is still poor. Controls and levers are at right places now.
Still a good value for money workhorse. But as I said, my heart always wins the battle :)

This is the car my mind always chooses and my heart always rejects and somehow heart wins the battle every time. I took a test drive of recently upgraded D6 and I must admit that the looks and features provided are much much better now, but unfortunately the price is also increased by 47k, however alloy wheels and electric adjusted ORVM have been added.
Plastic quality is still poor. Controls and levers are at right places now.
Still a good value for money workhorse. But as I said, my heart always wins the battle :)
DrRG loved the reverse camera screen you have installed does it have navigation too ? What features does the screen have and how effective is the camera in night ? And if you don't mind can you share the name and price of the brand please .

Top Bottom