Mahindra TUV-3OO T8 (MT) Drive Review

bhvm

Honoured Member
Re: Women drive SUV demand in India

This is one of the main reasons for the high demand for SUV's in India.

And the success of Creta, TUV300, Kwid (look alike)etc

Women drive SUV demand in India - The Times of India
I don't believe em. Never
Actually women should be given simpler and safer cars (with auto brakes, Anti collision and some type of stupidity prevention). And not exactly brute SUVs to run over potholes or people alike.

Brings me old memories-
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...you-thought-women-bad-drivers.html#post366907

I had a brief drive of the TUV3OO AMT variant and here are my views:
FIRST IMPRESSIONS:
1. Looks Imposing and as good as a mini-Hummer, but the rear is a bit cut short when viewed on side profile.
2. Build quality is impressive and overall feel is tough.
3. The wheels are quite small for this big and imposing UV. Definitely needs 17 inchers.
4. Interiors are neatly executed apart from a few ergonomic flaws. (Power window switches, fuel filler opener lever position)
5. The material quality of interiors are mostly good enough and good to touch.
6. Front seats are very comfortable and armrest position is perfect for my height.
7. Door padding felt good, although a bit firm.
8. Rear seats are mediocre and offer less support. Very upright angle will not be comfy for most people. Armrest also not provided. Space is decent in 2nd row for my height (5'10") after adjusting the driver seat to my position.
.9. Shape of the doors may be a cause of pain in the face if not careful while swinging open.
10. Quite a good number of bottle and cup holders all round and 2 charging sockets. [thumbsup]
11. Last two jump seats good enough for kids and for adults over short journeys. But lack of seat-belts are a serious concern.

THE DRIVE:
1. Very NIL amount of NVH levels in cabin at idle and slow cruising.
2. Driveability is excellent in city conditions. Good enough for cruising at 100kmph at max.
3. Steering wheel felt only marginally heavier than my Ertiga. Turning radius is impressive for a BOF UV.
4. AMT responds very well to throttle inputs and good in manual mode as well.
5. Slight amount of jerks can be noticed during acceleration after downshifting after a slowdown.
6. Cabin insulation is excellent and NVH levels for a BOF UV is very impressive.
7. I being a sedate driver, prefer cruising at moderate speeds in city. (60-70 in 5th gear on light traffic roads.) At such speeds, TUV felt relaxed.
8. Huge ORVMs are a big bonus while the IRVM is very small.
9. No rattlings noticed during the drive on some moderately rough roads.
10. Visibility is excellent, except for the rear.
11. Ride quality at low speeds is very impressive, while there is a bit of excessive bounce at slightly more speeds on undulating roads. But it's never uncomfortable. (My friend who accompanied me, occupied the rear seat. He didn't feel uncomfortable.)
12. There is decent feedback from the steering.
13. High CG causes significant amount of body roll, but body and suspension are very stable and controlled.
14. The AMT variants doesn't get the Micro-hybrid tech.

PRICING AND VALUE:
Priced at 8.2L for the T4 manual and 10.8L for the T8 AMT (on-road prices @ Coimbatore), the TUV makes a pretty strong and heavy impression for those who want a proper BOF mini SUV with extra 2 seats. ABS and Airbags can be opted for on any variant too. Very good value.

VERDICT:
The TUV3OO is heavy, tough, adequately comfortable and has an immense load lugging ability. I can think of it as a worthy replacement for the age-old Bolero, with addition of modern technology, better engine and better interiors. People who don't care about fancy gadgetry and technology can go for this "TANK".
The few flaws aside, Mahindra's TUV seems to be the "Real mini SUV", unlike what Hyundai claims for the Creta.
Mighty (&) Impressive! [cheers]

Other points:
1. There seems to be lot of empty space in the engine bay. There might be a possibility of bringing the 2.2l engine of the Xylo or Scorpio in the TUV.
2. "2WD" label is specifically mentioned for every variant in the price-list. There might be a possibility of a 4WD option soon. Also I spotted a TUV mule, camouflaged and testing on the out-skirts of Chennai even after the launch. A 4WD under development? [thinking]

My colour choices for the TUV are:
1. Black 2. Red 3. Blue 4. White.

some pics:

Attachments

Last edited:
I am trying hard to spot a T4/T4+ variant but it seems next to impossible. If anyone gets a look do kindly post some pics ..

Hi,
Got a chance to see this car. Mahindra Dealer opened a Display stall in our Campus.
The presence of TUV300 is awesome. It has good exteriors and reasonable interiors. Second rows seat is just a name sake seat, you need to immediately upgrade this Seat.
I could not able to do that test drive of this 3 cylinder engine. But got some positive comments from my Colleagues.

Hi,

I had a chance to test drive the T8 manual.Here are my observations.

Things I liked :

1.Looks-Subjective and personal.Looks much better in flesh than the pictures.Nice Road presence.
2.Interiors-Pleasant and not too overly done.Front seats are comfortable .Rear not so for taller adults.Seats are a bit upright.Third row seats are good only for short runs and kids but it lacks on safety aspect.M&M should have provided at least a lap belt.
3.Engine-The 3 pot motor is quite capable and NVH levels are sorted out well.Upto 80 Kms the performance is brisk and 100 takes a little longer.Did not get a chance to drive beyond that.
4.Ride and Handling-Comfortable enough for a body on frame UV.My expectations were limited and can't really compare with the sedans or the monocoque fwd counterparts.Know the limits of a body on frame Suv and u will not be surprised.

What could have been better?

1.Engine-Mahindra should have provided the Tuv with the scorpio's mhawk.Would have been an awesome performer.
2.Gearbox-A little notchy.

Will I buy one??

The answer is a definite yes if and when mahindra provides the Tuv with 4wd low.

Am very confident that a 4wd version is in the pipeline somewhere down the line.My reasons

1.If u look at the owners manual as well as the TUV app u can find symbols such as 4wd Low/VSC/HSA/HDC and diff lock.So mahindra has either tested the 4wd version or in a plan to do so and has incorporated the same on the speedo console.(Checked it on the vehicle during the TD and could find those symbols )

My reasoning is the Tuv is not an alternative to the ecosport/Creta and Duster.Its a very good alternative to their own Thar.We are not speaking about hardcore off-roading .The Tuv is for people who need or can afford one vehicle for their urban commutes everyday and their weekend getaways to off beat places/Jungle trails and farms with their family in tow.What the Thar lacks the TUV3oo provides.Hardtop/ABS and Airbags/Comfortable seating for 5 persons and a modern and livable cabin.

So Mahindra has got a wonderful opportunity to tap that segment of people longing to own a comfortable 4wd suv this side of 10 lakhs.Bring it on mahindra and I will be in the queue first.

Regards

Today I encountered a Bright Red, Kerala registered TUV3OO with Huge tires; possibly 245 section 16 inchers and awesome looking alloys! In my ORVM, it looked mighty imposing and stunning with all that road-presence! I for once thought that it was a Hummer. [:)] Tall, Square and menacing typically like a TANK!
I guess I am starting to fall in love with the mighty Tank. I am adding the TUV to my garage list today; which anyway is my plans for future. I hope Mahindra launches a slightly bigger version of the SUV or atleast with the much-needed bigger engine by then. [:D]
Managed to click some pics of the awesome Tank I saw today:

Attachments

My rendered Modifications to the TUV3OO.
Added features:
1. Obviously the Front crash guard.
2. Blackened grille surround
3. Bigger size tires.
4. Smoked headlamps
5. Roof mounted fog lamps.
6. Front bumper cladding.
Has the street presence equal to that of the Fortuner and Endeavour! Hope you guys like it.

Attachments

Last edited:
Thanks Dj bro [clap].

If its not too much trouble can you please photo shop a silver Tuv 's side profile with blackened c pillars and larger tires .

Regards

bhvm

Honoured Member
saw a tuv t8 in red color on Surat highway. looks posh. refined driving manners. looks almost mini hummer. however the engine is very sluggish and needs immediate attention. it very easily lost to my xuv 500 and I was just casually driving.

Thanks Dj bro [clap].

If its not too much trouble can you please photo shop a silver Tuv 's side profile with blackened c pillars and larger tires .

Regards
Here you go @ The Nomad.
Four versions of customization:
1. A pillar blackened and without lower body cladding. Pinstripe vinyl.
2. A pillar blackened and with body cladding. Pinstripe vinyl.
3. C pillar blackened and body colored A pillar. Absence of pinstripe.
4. All the pillars blackened, Body cladding. Pinstripe vinyl.

Standard features among all four:
1. Smoked headlamps.
2. Dark tinted windows.
3. 17 inch wheels and tires with smoked alloys.

Attachments

Last edited:

Top Bottom