Mahindra TUV-3OO T8 (MT) Drive Review

I stand corrected Vipul ji. Dzire puts out 190 Nm.

Personally, for me that rush of torque experience is sorely missed in Ecosport. I could feel that in the TUV (twin turbos I guess). Inability to go beyond 100 plus speed on Indian road conditions is not a bother.

Vipul sahib for your choice of a Scorpio. Well great ( I respect your choice). I find it bulky for my use (parking issues), more price for its top model which offers safety and features and I dislike its dated interiors (how so ever much they are tweaked) and less mileage.

Thanks Pravin ji for your detailed response and thanks Vipul ji for your enlightening review.

Keep pouring in newer insights guys.

I stand corrected Vipul ji. Dzire puts out 190 Nm.
Ya ya saarji, that figure was actually awesome and made me think that maybe the DZire you rode was PETEed.
1.JPG
Personally, for me that rush of torque experience is sorely missed in Ecosport. I could feel that in the TUV (twin turbos I guess). Inability to go beyond 100 plus speed on Indian road conditions is not a bother.
Now saarji what to say, my experience was just opposite. Put aside the Ecosport, that is quick as hell; I felt that even my Innova has a better surge than this Mahindra. Err, Innova is slowest in its lot, I hope you know that.
Beyond 100; I am sure you are joking saarji. IMO what is the use of the car if I can't even overtake a speeding Volvo bus on a highway? Heck, you are from Pathankot and I am sure you may be knowing those notorious Haryana roadways drivers who max out their Tata and AL buses on NH-1, NH-8 and where not. What is the use of the TUV if I need to make a good long plan to overtake them too? Sorry saarji, not the vehicle for full night fighters like me.
Rest it is surprising for me to read someone from Punjab writing that "inability to go over 100 doesn't bother him".

Vipul sahib for your choice of a Scorpio. Well great
Now saarji what to say, we engineers are always awesome :tongue:

I find it bulky for my use (parking issues), more price for its top model which offers safety and features and I dislike its dated interiors (how so ever much they are tweaked) and less mileage.
I do agree on all these points. Scorpio has bulk and low FE; also a safety which isn't proven.

Thanks Pravin ji for your detailed response and thanks Vipul ji for your enlightening review.

Keep pouring in newer insights guys.
Nothing new to pour. TUV may not be the vehicle for me but someone may like it; to each his own you know. It's like I don't like the Swift and DZire, still 35-40k people bring home a Swift/DZire every month. [:)]

Anyway the TVC for this one is overdone to my taste. Scorpio ads were much better.
Still waiting to see one on road.[:)]

Akash thanks for this nice review. photographs are top notch.

Put off by 3 cylinder engine. It is no where comparable to Creta and ecosport.

Hi All...

I went through this review thoroughly and comments/replies of other members. Not trying to be offensive, but aren't we being too harsh on this vehicle when comparing it to Hyundai Creta or Ford Ecosport.
My reasoning is the price point, the top end variant of TUV is somewhere around 11L, where as Ecosport Diesel start at 9L. And forget about Creta [surprise], its a premium vehicle.

But this one is targeted for those middle income group who want to own a SUV but cannot afford one.

Rgds,
Ashwin

Hi All...

I went through this review thoroughly and comments/replies of other members. Not trying to be offensive, but aren't we being too harsh on this vehicle when comparing it to Hyundai Creta or Ford Ecosport.
My reasoning is the price point, the top end variant of TUV is somewhere around 11L, where as Ecosport Diesel start at 9L. And forget about Creta [surprise], its a premium vehicle.

But this one is targeted for those middle income group who want to own a SUV but cannot afford one.

Rgds,
Ashwin
Now what to do saarji. The TUV still got 4321 buyers in september 2015 and this number is higher than that of Ecosport.
After a TD I cant imagine mysef driving a TUV on an empty highway during the night time and having 3-400 kilometers more to cover. C'mon man, pressing the accelerator is a different thing and standing on the accelerator is different. No doubt the ow end is good and styling is also quite nice but what to do of the body roll and the performance which neither justifies the numbers on the paper nor it justifies the FE the TUV delivers. No doubt TUV reaches 100 with acceptable grunt and that also being a high speed for Indian roads; TUV is fine but then its not the personal choice of we guys. Else see, TUV has more takers than Ecosport.

Thread Starter #38

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Hi All...
aren't we being too harsh on this vehicle when comparing it to Hyundai Creta or Ford Ecosport.
My reasoning is the price point, the top end variant of TUV is somewhere around 11L, where as Ecosport Diesel start at 9L. And forget about Creta , its a premium vehicle.
Ashwin
Dear Ashwin, TUV-3OO has been launched in the sub-4m SUV segment and it is but obvious that people will compare it to the other options in the segment. There is nothing wrong in it. Mahindra on the other hand, compared the TUV-3OO to the Duster which is a segment above. So, if we stick to the segment itself, at the given price, things like Transmission, Engine and some other aspects listed on page 1 could have been improvised upon. Comfort features can surely be variant specific but basic driving dynamics could have been better in this car. If someone shall pay 7-8 lacs for TUV then he can definitely pay a lac more and buy Ecosport or a entry variant of Creta.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
Thanks honored members for TUV discussions. Ashwin, do agree with you. TUV top manual is 9.4 lakh on road price. That includes regd. plus insurance.

And thanks Vipul ji for telling that TUV found 4321 buyers in September, more than Ecosport (it has certainly made Ford feel the heat. and now they are doing some facelift to Ecosport I hear). Am sure each one of them booking tuv has taken a TD and found it satisfactory for their need.

A buyers while replacing his/her car looks at a car as a package of many other things than Engine performance(in excess of 100 plus speeds) alone . And I do not mean to let down my friends on the forum. They are fully entitled to their views in finding faults in high speed performance of TUV.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks honored members for TUV discussions. Ashwin, do agree with you. TUV top manual is 9.4 lakh on road price. That includes regd. plus insurance.

And thanks Vipul ji for telling that TUV foumd 4321 buyers in September, more than Ecosport (it has certainly made Ford feel the heat. and now they r doing some facelift to Ecosport I hear). Am sure each one of them booking tuv has taken a TD and found it satisfactory for their need.

A buyers while replacing his/her car looks at a car as a package of many other things than Engine performance(in excess of 100 plus speeds) alone . And I do not mean to let down my friends on the forum. They are fully entitled to their views in finding faults in high speed performance of TUV.
Saarji it all is based on ones' personal choices. IMO the basic reasons behind good initial numbers is not just satisfaction (There were many brand new XUVs for sale in used car market three years back) but:
1) Bookings were done during the launch but most of the deliveries were done in September. Full force production and dispatch you know.
2) TUV looks really good (I never wrote it looks bad, I liked the way it looks) and has got the true blue butch SUV road presence
3) Heavy kerb weight and a bit soft suspension setup gives the TUV a brilliant low speed ride
4) All round visibility is simply Bolero rivaling and that's an awesome thing.
5) Engine is really good at low end, seriously it starts pulling from as ow as 1000-1100 rpm itself but the pull doesn't last longer.

What went wrong then?
Driving experience. Else I guess you are aware of the fact that I had pre booked one. I did that based on the assumptions that.
1) Being a mHawk, the engine must be having a brilliant power delivery - Not provided
2) A rugged vehicle - provided
3) Commanding driving position with good road presence - provided
4) Decent dynamics - from acceptable to poor
5) Seating comfort (I frequently make long trips and this is having high priority for me) and ergonomics - just acceptable but not good at least

So all in all, the biggest turn off for me is engine followed by the net seating comfort. Where our regular buyer is more interested in looks and presence and TUV supplies them quite well and I was expecting the TUV to score good numbers. Its just that TUV doesnt fit the bill for me but there are many who may like it. Believe me, even I was also bowled by the looks of the silver color top end variant and it seemed to have got everything I could ask for in a compact SUV but a small test drive spoiled the game for me.

Recently i got a chance to test this small mahindra all can i say with this price tag TUV is not a bad choice. As the name shown, Tuv looks such a Tough Suv but the main problem is hight and length ratio. Because Tuv is a sub 4 Meter small car but the hight of this suv is like a big SUV that is look weird.
Also the seating comfort is not proper. Seats are not proper reclined. Interior quality was good. Overall The main highlight is Price of this Car.

Top Bottom