Mahindra TUV-3OO T8 (MT) Drive Review

That's a very nice, detailed and a crisp review as always buddy[clap]. TUV doesn't look that good in pictures as it looks in real. I happened to see 2-3 on roads and kinda liked it. Interiors looks ok to me but I guess its bit overpriced. But that's my thought, lets see how will this M&M product perform in market.

Nice review, TUV look meaty in this wonderful pictures. Eagerly waiting to read a complete testdrive report with maximum details.

bhvm

Honoured Member
Nice review mate.

Mahindra has already set very high expectation by products like XUV 500 and so on. However after reading the review, I somehow felt we are being given a Half-Baked product. As the Mahindra is Marketing this product as "Tough" and "Brute", Giving a lazy engine will not pass.

If mahindra wants to target the adventitious youth with this, The engine should've been atleast 1.8L with decent 100~110 BHP on tap. I mean this vehicle should easily beat other compact Crossovers like Eco-sport, Duster.
Also, 4x4 should be present on most models for Off-roading.

And No folding 2'nd row in most variants? Rubbish!

Perfect precise crisp review once again Aakash, keep it going mate.
Seems mahindra heard half heartedly and presented us the half baked quanto.The side profile has changed perfectly compared to previous version which showed the chopped off xylo, this one is fresh with nice body lines evenly matched.
But look at the door size, width, side of the middle bench, no foldable seats, power switches at the centre console compared to on the driver side doors shows mahindra did not worked as what was expected seeing how xuv was launched.
I was looking for a perfect compact UV with brutal engine and nicely mated interiors.Something nearer to xuv's overall product quality, space and design.
I completely agree with generalmax here that this is again the case where it seems confusing of liking or disliking the looks of this car, compare to quanto it looks much better and groomed but still doesnt make it look perfect as expected.
Lets see how it is able to take the sales chart, hopefully rural market may see some numbers ticking as compared to urban market.

Test drove TUV300 yesterday. It is tough enough as it reads. The power delivery was very linear. Looking at this car in TV ads and papers I was not even bothered. When I saw in flesh it was a different looking animal. It was tall, strong nicely dealt interiors, nicely insulated cabin, nice commanding ride. All together it is a vfm SUV. The body roll is very well controlled even if it had tall stands. Mahindra has done a very good job this time.

I think people are linking the product this time I saw at least 5 New TUV's in Pune in last 3 days
That's Correct, Even I have spotted few on Pune's road. And mos of them are in Red color. And On Sunday Evening I Saw a brand New (Probably took Delivery on the same day) in the Parking Queue for Ganesha Bisarjan With Other Car like New Jazz, Honda City, Dzire, Swift and and many others. And TUV 300 looks quite big compare to any other car parked in the same spot. And Specially the Alto and Wagnor look too puny in front of it.
TUV 300 have definite a Road presence withing the SUB 4 meters cars.

Before I post my detailed view on TUV's recent test drive, I would recommend to all the visitors on the page to not get biased with Mr Akash's views. While his is perhaps the first detailed coverage (for which I laud him), I would suggest all you enthusiasts to take his views with a pinch of salt.

Thread Starter #24

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Before I post my detailed view on TUV's recent test drive, I would recommend to all the visitors on the page to not get biased with Mr Akash's views. I would suggest all you enthusiasts to take his views with a pinch of salt.
Buddy, written at the 1st page and subsequent posts are my views which are co-related after I drove this vehicle on 2 different occasions. This vehicle does have its positives and there are certain negatives too specially in performance which I felt not once but twice. I have tried to keep my views moderated and not outright denounced the vehicle. Neither I have exaggerated on the shortcomings. I have simply typed my experience. Other members are most welcome to share their opinions on the vehicle here. However, I too in no ways have typed a biased point of view of this TUV-3OO. I wrote what I saw and felt. Also, after my posts there have been varied responses to this vehicle which is very much welcome. Not just my review, on the net, there are many more reviews on TUV-3OO which too point the shortcoming and positives of this vehicle. Whether I write or someone else, if there is actually a shortcoming in the vehicle, It has to be highlighted honestly and a spade needs to be called a spade irrespective of any type of fanboy attitude towards the brand or its product.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
Dear Akash,
I do appreciate your very comprehensive review of TUV. Almost close to the depth of a BHPian.
Like you, I test drove the vehicle twice. Once in hills, once in Chandigarh. I have been looking to replace my aging car, therefore I have been in the business of test driving all the vehicles nomenclatured SUVs in this range. So far I have been impressed with Duster's ride and handling.
I am no untoward fanboy and neither has Mahindra been patronizing me in any which way.
I strongly feel that you have erred in your harsh judgement on the engine performance of the TUV. :please: It is sprightly in performance and am ready to accept that power wears off after the engine has exhausted its RPM range (and this might be the case on highways). But in city it drives with elan. I may be an amateur but many professional experts have granted that to TUV on performance front. Therefore, it cannot be faulted too harshly on engine performance.

One has to evaluate a vehicle within the context of a certain price range. One cannot compare it to Creta or Ertiga (MUV) or XUV 500 like in your review. :offtopic: Yes, one could compare it to Ecosport (which you have rightly done). And personally I didn't like Ecosport 1.5 diesel for space or darkish interiors or sedate engine performance and very expensive after sale service (these are my personal views). TUV has a long wheelbase therefore roomy interiors. Also a lively upholstery, a very sofa-like commanding drive position. Many other pluses over Ecosport, for instance.
Suspension of TUV is a lot better than Ecosport. One may take Ecosport over potholes and notice that. You feel rattles inside the cabin. Whereas TUV's suspension though stiffer, is better than Ecosport.
I didn't find anything wrong with TUV's clutch pedal. But had you pointed out a glitch with reverse gear I would have agreed with you. You fault TUV's suspension yet you recommend it for rural areas?
Hmm... I wonder why... [roll]

Thread Starter #26

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Dear Akash,
I do appreciate your very comprehensive review of TUV. Almost close to the depth of a BHPian.
Sir with due respect I accept your praise but I do not wish my review to be compared with BHP or whatever. Neither me nor other reviewers have to be seen as benchmark in writing about cars. Each one has its own point of view. No point in comparison.

Like you, I test drove the vehicle twice. Once in hills, once in Chandigarh. I have been looking to replace my aging car, therefore I have been in the business of test driving all the vehicles nomenclatured SUVs in this range.
Most certainly, I don't doubt your point of view and experience.[:)]

So far I have been impressed with Duster's ride and handling.
I am no untoward fanboy and neither has Mahindra been patronizing me in any which way.
You are most welcome to have your perception and I am open to accepting that sir. And rightly, no one should be biased for a brand or product. Else, purpose of being a part of a unbiased forum fails.

I strongly feel that you have erred in your harsh judgement on the engine performance of the TUV. But in city it drives with elan.
This is what I had mentioned on 1st page of this review and a short drive that I had earlier than this one.

The engine if put in simple words is lethargic for those who wish to feel the craze of a powerful diesel engine but yes for City driving this 1.5L unit is kaam chalau.
About pick-up if I talk then M-Hawk engine is there and response is neither too good nor very bad. It is Ok for driving in city.
I may be an amateur but many professional experts have granted that to TUV on performance front. Therefore, it cannot be faulted too harshly on engine performance.
Sir I am repeating again here, Individually this car is at most capable to be driven in city but still lacks by leaps and bounds if you even compare the city driving manners of Creta or Ecosport. If Mahindra is competing in segment with flourishing/flourished products like them then it must make a product which stands equal to competitors. TUV-3OO is not comparable to Creta and neither to Eco-Sport in driving. If any lay-man buys a car, he expects it to give a decent performance on City and Highway. TUV-3OO needs to be re-worked on this front.

One has to evaluate a vehicle within the context of a certain price range. One cannot compare it to Creta or Ertiga (MUV) or XUV 500 like in your review.
Sir, behind my comparison of TUV-3OO to Creta lies the first hand experience of Official Launch of TUV-3OO. Over there the officials themselves compared it to Creta. If its not Creta then what else should be compared to TUV-3OO, A Scorpio? A Rexton? A Verito Vibe? Mahindra's officials went to the extent of comparing to Duster as well. Creta comes in 1.6 Diesel and TUV-3OO has 1.5 Diesel engine? Why can't it be compared on performance front?

Secondly, My reason to compare it with Ertiga was only because of the 7 seater provision given in TUV-3OO. I have sat in Ertiga and then I sat also in TUV-3OO, both are different in miles. You can see the pics of 3rd row seating and judge for yourself. If one is selling a particular feature then that should be useful for the buyer and not just turn out to be a ornamental feature.

XUV-500, I compared it to XUV-500 not for any other purpose but simply for fun to drive purpose. It is not a sin to ask or expect a fun to drive experience for any car. XUV-5OO belongs to M&M and TUV-3OO too but TUV-3OO lacks in fun part of driving. Would you love to have stressful drive in it when driving in traffic either in City or on Highway?

Yes, one could compare it to Ecosport (which you have rightly done).
Ecosport and Creta are both competing in the same segment.

And personally I didn't like Ecosport 1.5 diesel for space or darkish interiors or sedate engine performance and very expensive after sale service (these are my personal views).
Like your views on Eco-sport, on TUV-3OO are my own views too.

TUV has a long wheelbase therefore roomy interiors. Also a lively upholstery, a very sofa-like commanding drive position. Many other pluses over Ecosport, for instance.
I never denounced or rejected that. You may cross check my review.

I didn't find anything wrong with TUV's clutch pedal. But had you pointed out a glitch with reverse gear I would have agreed with you.
Gear slotting in TUV-3OO is bit notchy and it has pointed out many times since launch.

You fault TUV's suspension yet you recommend it for rural areas?
This is what I said for the TUV-300 in this review

Due to a average suspension, the ride quality of the car was in one word “OK” nothing extra-ordinary or should I say, not much confidence building.
Now, as for the use in rural areas, firstly, I am not counting the semi-urban places. I am considering village and Dehaat where prime consideration is to have maximum number of seats in a car/jeep. In rural areas, the 1st consideration of buying a Mahindra MUV is that it offers space and then comes the suspension. Mahindra's TUV-3OO can be driven there because people over there are not at all concerned about the suspension feedback. All they want is that it should drive over mud, improper roads and potholes. For them Jerks on potholes mean nothing. I have number of times seen Mahindra Armada and Bolero in worst of conditions yet driven there. For them Mahindra is not about suspension, it is all about driving capability, diesel engine and number of seats.

Also, so far, except for Mahindra Scorpio, Thar and XUV-500 which is that one car that has flown off the shelves for them for personal use? XYLO, Verito, Vibe, Bolero are maximum sold in commercial spaces. For TUV-3OO I clearly have stated that looks and interior comfort will gain buyers for it but performance will give second thoughts. I am quoting last few lines from my review.

Had the TUV-3OO performance been as good as its interiors or the price and even looks then it surely would have been a tough competitor to other two.
Regards

Akash

Last edited:
i would like to share my experience of TUV 300 test drive

using a pre owned safari with 123,000 on odo. was shortlisted on TUV 300

vechile driven: t8
dealer: zulaikha motors

the test drive was prompt registered on thurdays. vechile was in home in friday morning with the show room guy. kudos to the show room. everything is perfect

positives: seating postion on front seat with arm rests, good view of vechile in front, no blind spots or extra overhangs hanging out, good chunky steering vechicle

quality of plastics is very exceptional never expected this from mahindra, good interior colour scheme.

our family was able to seat 3 people at the rear bench medium sized peoples 2 well fed adults and a kid is easy fit, but the rear bench is lacking under tigh support. floor is flat. can accomadate 3 people easily

engine at idle is bit loud, u can here the engine without AC. turn on music and AC, things are okay. get moving the car you will be reminded off the 3 liter dicor engine off safari no turbo log pulls clean from as low as 1200 rpm. sales guy told torque is avaliable as 1100 rpm. was able to hit the inner ring road close to my home. open roads car builds up pace to 70 easily. post that peformance fad away. engine gets nosiy around 2500 rpm.

was travelling around 90 with ac on 2 level with 5 poeple, was trying to overtake a innova from the right hand side, around 100 engine feels harsh and felt as if i hit a wall.

80 is awesome, 100 is fine, 120 engine gives up. be gentle on the pedal. shift early and make use of the power band below 3000 and enjoy the mid range.

the show room guy took over the wheels and i moved to back seat. as i complained the performance, he try to hustle the car and work with the notchy gear box 100 came up around 19 seconds( as per time on my smartphone) and 135 was achieved after a lot of wrestling with the engine. top speed could be around 140-145.

at the speeds of 120, engine was breathing hard. braking is better than any other mahindra vechile. braking was composed and straight line was maintained even when breaking from triple digit speeds. brakes have a progressive fell. not a sharp brake any means.

ride quality is better than xylo and scorpio. handled bad roads well and the composure was retained. a bit wobbly and giggly but nothing to complain as it's a ladder frame suv.

AC is okay/good. the areas did not cool properly in the middle row considering the temp has done in chennai. in april/may it is not okay. floor ac vent would have done justice.

the inbuilt music system was okay.speakers were vibrating even at mid volume. connecting the smartphone was not a easy thing as the music system had a mind of it's own. a after system is needed if you are a music lover

tried climibing a incline in a contruction site with 5 people the vechile did it with ease thanks to the torque low down.

my final views are a very good design(my own view), superb plastics and interior quality, safety features, good ground clearence(194mm unladen as per sales guy), good suspension set up for our roads, good city drivebality.

bad things very nothcy gear box felt like from the jeeps of the 80's, poor performance, no rear ac vents.

my feel is that mahindra has pitted this as ecosport/duster. but a ecosport duster buyer will stay away from this vechile. my view is this may a affect the sale of bolero. this feels a bolero with ABS/air bag and better equipment. my idea was to replace my safari with a new car. guess i might have to hold the decision

First, Akash thanks for your detailed reply to my post. Indeed, points well made. Well argued too.[:)]

Dear Pravin,
Your TD enlightened us certainly. [clap]
First things first Top-end Ecosport Ex showroom costs:
1.5D Titanium(O) MT
Starting from ₹ 1,020,400*

Now to this amount one has to add Insurance plus Registration etc which would inflate it to 11 lakh plus, while compare it to 9.36 lakh (On road cost of top model TUV). A neat 1.7 lakh more.

Now Pravin, Let me quote technical figures of both vehicles on paper:

TUV: 84 bhp @ 3750 rpm
Torque : 230 Nm @ 1500-2250 rpm

Ecosport: 90 bhp @ 3750 rpm
Torque: 204 Nm 2000-2750 rpm

Do you think more Gross Weight makes TUV (2250 kg) a lugger after certain speed? Do you think if it compromises on speed of TUV it adds to the sturdiness/strength of TUV?
I mean what are your views. I would like Mr Akash also to explain.

I had test driven Ecosport soon after its launch.
As I was explaining my experience to our friend Akash, found it unexciting to drive, quite like i20 diesel. Especially, the performance was unlike Dzire diesel (290 Nm torque) which at that time was my personal benchmark for performance. But I had to reject Dzire for other reasons other than engine performance, safety, forced boot etc.

Now keeping in view the Price and the Technical Figures I have quoted what is your opinion? What are pluses and minuses?

I love your: "The best is yet to come". You mean a Taigun or Rush or some such?[:D]

No matter what one has to say or think but IMO the TUV is a better choice for 9 lac if compared to Bolero.

Except the price, nothing else is there which makes the TUV special by any stretch of imagination. At least for me, others I can't say (everyone has a different set of priorities after all).

Plastic quality, fit and finish etc all are just acceptable (but not exceptional or even best for sure), its just that for the price the TUV comes at, everything it offers is more than acceptable.

Engine may seem to be good on paper but for the hulking weight of the TUV, the engine feels under powered; for a 9 lac costing compact SUV at least.

If I have to spend my 10 lac bucks then?
Definitely not the TUV, instead I will stretch a bit and buy a Scorpio S4+ and enjoy the proper mHawk.

Comparing to Ecosport, IMO its better left aside. Ecosport is head and shoulders above TUV in build, performance, seating comfort (yes I mean it, those who deny this please explain), ride and handling.

Now some will say the ride is poor in Ecosport. Well, then speed up and bit and enjoy the tight suspension by gliding over the poor surfaces.

Where TUV scores:
1) It looks really macho (for a compact UV)
2) Safety features and price
3) Space, loads of it on first two rows but the rear seat is not much comfortable for long trips (its Boleroish IMO)
4) Features
5) Good Mahindra A.S.S.
6) Wider rubber and the DWB front suspension can take some serious beating

Ehh, still Mahindra left some points unaddressed and that's the painful part.

Rest one thing for sure, for 9 lac rupees; one can't get more SUV than this butch baby from Mahindra.

@Ash:
Sirji if your benchmark was DZire then Ecosport is way way better in overall performance. I was expecting at least GT TDi or Rapid; the vehicles are at least worth benchmarking in terms of diesel performance. And yes, the torque in DZire is not 290 Nm, as much I remember it's 190 and that is by no ways aa special number, especially going by the way the DZire puts down that torque.

Last edited:
From my view, the lack of perfomance when compared to the competition is purely due to transmission rather than the kerb weight. In terms of the transmission, the tuv300 is a half baked product.

if mahindra can work on the transmission and optimize it for more performance, it's certainly a winner.

as i mentioned, there are lot of postive for the product but in current competition TUV needs a bit more performance without a doubt.

posistives:

interiors, quality of plastics, space inside, genuine 3 seater in middle row( bit less than my safari), braking, ride qualiy, The massive front look looks like a JEEP

nagtives: sub standard quality of speakers, age old feel gear box, no rear ac vents

as said the first and second gears pulls cleanly, no lag. this will be a boon in city conditions and a bit of off roading, hill climbs. if i remember correctly, 120 was acheived at 3000rpm. 100 was around 2400-2500, 80 at 2000-2100 rpm. the power tapering starts around 2500 and that's when the engine gets loud.

the best thing is there is no boat like ride quality like a xylo. the suspension is well sorted out compared to xylo and scorpio.

have driven ecosport, braking is at par to the rivals.the feel is progressive the vechiles comes with Ceat AT tyres. AT tyres are there for a reason. I have wandered AT in my safari. switching over a HT and better rubber will increase grip and braking ability.

the best is yet to come is just a inspirational quote- that i tell to myself whenever i feel low

I'm a looking out for the T4+ variant. coz i get the standard safety to ABS and air bag. will wait and see if mahindra makes improvement on the gear box

Last edited:

Top Bottom