Mahindra Thar Review & Pictures

Re: Mahindra Thar Off-Road Test Drive Review

Thanks for the information pal, and nice to know that you own a THAR, i am waiting for an ownership review as well as off-roading on the same. [:)]
I don't think I will write ownership review or something as I have lots interest in helping forum to collect content and then get banned for pathetic rules. (no offence to this forum though) :D But will surely help you if you are interested in vehicle.

Last edited by a moderator:

Great review :) loved it btw I need a close-up photo of AC switch.

Great review :) loved it btw I need a close-up photo of AC switch.
AC switch is very basic the left one for increasing and decreasing the temp, middle it to on off heater and right one is for AC/blower speed.

Have a look.
Thar 16.jpg

Uploading some dashing pictures of my Thar to jazz up this thread. [:D]

Mahindra Thar CRDe 1.jpg

Mahindra Thar CRDe 2.jpg

Mahindra Thar CRDe 3.jpg

Ignore that "Got BHP" sticker that is not more there. [anger]

Mahindra Thar CRDe 6.jpg

Mahindra Thar CRDe 8.jpg

Mahindra Thar CRDe 10.jpg

Mahindra Thar CRDe 11.jpg

Mahindra Thar CRDe 13.jpg

Truly magnificent pics, a very warm welcome to TAI Thar4x4, this is the best colour in Thar in my view. I have a feeling I have seen this beastie on the Mundhwa road a few times( and i have to admit I have ogled and drooled! )

Truly magnificent pics, a very warm welcome to TAI Thar4x4, this is the best colour in Thar in my view. I have a feeling I have seen this beastie on the Mundhwa road a few times( and i have to admit I have ogled and drooled! )
Thanks a lot for wishes Iron Rock !
Please do single when you see me next time. [:D]

Checked out the 'updated' Thar at a Mahindra dealership. Quickly:

1. Crossbar fitted between A pillar and B pillar to prevent the notorious wham bang kaboom that the B pillar made when it rattled against the door frames on bad roads.

2. AC knobs borrowed from the Bolero. Plastics still scruffy.

3. Dash seemed better with the hacksaw cut areas rounded off but that's like saying Danny Trejo seems better after he has had an orange facial.

4. I could unscrew a nut from the door panel with two fingers and please remember my last name is Dinkar, not Schwarzenegger.

5. Engine sounded smooooth on cold idle.

6. Door handles seemed stronger.

7. The Thar was fitted with what seemed to be negative offset alloys and 31in MT tyres. The SA told me "saar, these aar OEM aksasareej and therephor barranty bil naat be vaid". Dunno how true that is.

And at the end of it all:

SA: So saar when do ju bant too bai eet?

Me: I need to check the Gurkha first.

SA (after a moment's pause): Okay saar our watchman eej a gurkha ai beel call heem and ju can talk to heem.

p.s.: He was also keen to offer me a test drive but I declined as it was a customer vehicle that was waiting delivery. No claps vlaps please its embarrassing [embarass].

Attachments

Last edited:

Me: I need to check the Gurkha first.

SA (after a moment's pause): Okay saar our watchman eej a gurkha ai beel call heem and ju can talk to heem.
[lol]:lol!: Literally rolled off my chair reading this. Capturing the look on your face when he must have said this would have been absolutely priceless.[;)]

Small things like this make me think Mahindra didn’t really think things out when they engineered the Thar. The mix and match of Scorpio and Bolero for the engine, chassis and rear suspension has a downside — the components weren’t really designed for the stresses of off-roading. I spoke to Mahindra about this and they say that engineering specific parts for the Thar would demand re-homologation, and that would in turn push the price further up. Still, I feel Mahindra should go the distance, spend the money and build an even more capable Thar. The company’s heritage lies in rugged Jeeps (not sure if I can call a Thar a Jeep anymore) and Mahindra owes it to itself to make an off-roader that no one can complain about.

For the next Thar, Mahindra needs to look at a few things. Apart from the horns, they need to mount the ECU higher, figure out how to have a flatter underside (to make it less prone to damage) and properly seal the electricals from the elements — driving through deep water drowned the starter motor and I had to rebuild it, albeit for an admittedly inexpensive Rs 3000.

One thing is for sure, despite its limitations in everyday use, the biggest of which was the inability to secure its interiors when I left it parked somewhere (soft top, remember), the Thar has undoubtedly been the most interesting long-termer I have ever used.
Long term report on thar

Cars Long Termer | SUV/Crossovers | Autocar India

Ha ha those alloys arent stock,tires look like Maxxis Mudzilla tires.
@ Sam
As you mentioned in first point about the cross bars,do these make the frame tougher?
When were these upgrades made? Is it an upgrade over the one posted by (now missing) fellow member "Thar4x4" ?

Ha ha those alloys arent stock,tires look like Maxxis Mudzilla tires.
Yes. Alloys aren't stock but are OEM 'aksasareej' available at Mahindra dealerships. Tyres are Nexen Roadian MT.
@ Sam
As you mentioned in first point about the cross bars,do these make the frame tougher?
They act just like a cross member does in a ladder frame. The basic idea is to arrest the movement of the 'unsupported' B pillar and windscreen/A pillar by bolting on an improvised frame between them. At least that's what it looked like to me:stupid:. Pure jugaad.
When were these upgrades made? Is it an upgrade over the one posted by (now missing) fellow member "Thar4x4" ?
I think these 'upgrades' were made sometime in the first half of September 2013. And yeah, our (now missing) fellow member "Thar4x4" was unlucky - he bought his Thar hates tar much before that. But as the saying goes, the more things change, the more they remain the same.

Re: My TD Experience with Mahindra Thar CRDe !!

A guy in my colony has recently purchased the Thar who took me for a drive.Seating position is pretty high and gives you SUV feel but interiors are a definite Let down [frustration] for the Price at which Thar comes at.

Pic of Instrument cluster at night.
DSC_0903.jpg

DSC_0902.jpg

So Prashant, how did you like the ride? Please ask your friend to join the Forum and post his experience with his Thar.

So Prashant, how did you like the ride? Please ask your friend to join the Forum and post his experience with his Thar.
Ride quality seemed ok on Marine drive stretch but first impressions i felt the suspension is a bit stiff.The Thar did grab eyeballs from onlookers as well:wink:
btw i was on the front passenger seat so cant comment on how a rear seat passenger might feel on poor stretch of roads.[evil]

Re: Mahindra Thar (Off) Road Test Review

MAHINDRA TO LAUNCH AN UPGRADED THAR 4X4 SUV IN 2013

The upgraded Thar could feature a hard top as this is one long standing demand that many prospective owners have been making.

Also, the interiors are expected to be improved with better fit and finish. Apart from these changes, the upgraded Thar could also get the 1.5 Liter turbo diesel engine. This engine, which is a twin turbo unit, made its debut on the Quanto compact SUV and could also make it to the Thar. The idea behind using the 1.5 Liter twin turbo diesel engine on the Thar could have to do with the lower excise duty that Mahindra will have to pay since the Thar measures in at under 4 meters in length.

Therefore, the usage of the 1.5 Liter twin turbo diesel engine would make the Thar eligible for a lower duty structure as it would then be classified as a small car. If that happens, Mahindra could outfit the Thar with better interiors and a hard top while still managing to keep the price unchanged. The idea is that the lower duty takes care of the higher cost of better interiors and hard top.

ICB Speculation: Mahindra to launch an upgraded Thar 4X4 SUV in 2013 | IndianCarsBikes.in

Any news whether Thar with 1.5 L Twin Turbo is really going to get launched as there is no such speculation in the market and its already 2014

Akash1886

Honoured Member

Friends,

Mahindra has launched the Limited Edition Thar as Adventure Edition.

1966696_10152483029756234_916096343798904422_n.jpg

Mahindra has launched a limited edition on the Thar called the Adventure Edition. Available on the CRDe model, the Thar Adventure Edition is limited to only 30 units, and is available for sale at select dealerships.
IAB

Regards

Akash

Top Bottom