Mahindra Thar Review & Pictures

Awwwwwww. A 3 cylinder engine in an off roader:(. If only I had the money, I would buy the CRDe today before they plonk the 1.5 in it.

Cost cutting on a niche vehicle?? Not cricket, Mr. Mahindra.
The Di is any-day better in Thar for off-roading purposes.
3cyl doesn't make good deal in off-roading? All you need is torque for this purpose right?

Yes,even I am sceptical about this move.But still,I will blame our government more for this move than MnM itself!Hope they continue selling the 2.6 crde variant with a hard top.
Crde will be sold along with the 3cyl engine i guess because most of the Thars sold are CRDe's and if they stop this version, then M&M itself will wash away its buyers.
Its not about torque or off roading Vishwas. Its a cheap shot. Its like offering a house at the posh Malabar Hill area but fitting 0 watt bulbs in it to save on electricity. I am paying for a niche vehicle. So I will pay the excise duty due on a bigger engine as well. How many people buy the Thar as their first and only car anyway ("umm....I am planning to buy a new car upto Rs. 8 lakhs and I have shortlisted the i20 diesel, Swift ZDi, Punto 90 hp, Tata Manza, Honda City, and the Mahindra Thar. Please help me make the right choice")?

I hope you acquiesce.

On the other hand, I fervently wish that your guess about the CRDe being sold side by side with the 1.5 comes true.

Amen.

Re: Mahindra Thar (Off) Road Test Review

Its not about torque or off roading Vishwas. Its a cheap shot. Its like offering a house at the posh Malabar Hill area but fitting 0 watt bulbs in it to save on electricity. I am paying for a niche vehicle. So I will pay the excise duty due on a bigger engine as well. How many people buy the Thar as their first and only car anyway ("umm....I am planning to buy a new car upto Rs. 8 lakhs and I have shortlisted the i20 diesel, Swift ZDi, Punto 90 hp, Tata Manza, Honda City, and the Mahindra Thar. Please help me make the right choice")?

I hope you acquiesce.

On the other hand, I fervently wish that your guess about the CRDe being sold side by side with the 1.5 comes true.

Amen.
I told my views that's all. Sorry if it did not sound quite well to you.

I would suggest thar only if you can consume its ride quality, less practical and the like of it. However if you're an off road enthusiast then thar marks sense.

Hey, don't get me wrong buddy, I respect your (and everyone else's) views with humility and utmost sincerity. What I meant to say was that there's no point in cutting costs on something that is a niche vehicle anyway.

Due to the exact reasons that you have mentioned, the Thar isn't everyone's cup of tea. And that's one more reason why people do not buy it as their only car. It was designed and developed to be a niche vehicle and it's doing around 800 units per month - just what Mahindra had targeted, and by plonking a 3 cylinder 1.5 litre engine into its engine bay, the sales surely wouldn't shoot through the roof.

I just hope they continue with the present engine alongwith the 1.5, whenever it comes. The present engine is a gem.

Last edited:

1.5L is good for those who want the looks of jeep but drive on tarmac !! I welcome it.

Re: Mahindra Thar Off-Road Test Drive Review

LONG TERMER Mahindra Thar (Third report)
13,500km report With the monsoon gone, our off-road trails have dried up. So we head to Goa on a different kind of trip.

Feb 22, 2013
DETAILS
Make Mahindra Model Thar Edition CRDe
photos

There’s a Pete’s box in the Thar. For those who don’t know what that is, it’s a small blue box that plugs into the fuel rail and bumps up power by a claimed 15bhp to 120bhp.

The results are quite plain to feel – the CRDe engine’s mid-range is noticeably meatier and if you upshift at the right time, there’s a nice surge of torque to surf on through all the gears. It works well on large throttle openings, not so much on small ones. Also, with the air-con on, turbo lag is a bit more pronounced. I’m now an expert at keeping the turbo spinning all the time via timely gearshifts, so it’s not too bothersome. I haven’t VBOX-ed it yet, but plan to do so soon and will have hard figures by the next report. The only hiccup – the box costs Rs 28,000.

Now, Pete’s has always maintained that the fatter torque curve helps improve fuel economy, provided you aren’t lead-footed. It’s been hard not to take advantage of the extra power, so I’ve seen fuel economy drop from 8.1kpl to 7.1kpl. On the flipside, I did drive it judiciously once and fuel economy was a stellar 10.36kpl. On the highway. With the air-con on. At a steady 100kph. Not bad for something that has the streamlined properties of a dam.

In other news, I broke the rack-and-pinion steering’s rack. On a recent night off-road session, I went into a hidden rut at speed. The impact weakened the steering rack tube and it finally split open hours later, bleeding power-steering fluid. Luckily, I could still steer with a bit more effort, and that’s how I made it home and then to the workshop. Four days in the workshop and Rs 22,054 later, the Thar is steering like before.

My greatest disappointment though is that the monsoons are over and Maharashtra has turned dry. It means most off-road tracks are now easy meat for the Thar, especially since it’s equipped with off-road tyres. Still, I wish Mahindra would offer some form of locking differential as standard.

Let me explain. Sometimes, when traction or grip is really poor, the Thar, like any off-roader, spins its wheels freely (it has no traction control either). Get into an even more challenging situation and you will often find one wheel of an axle spinning all the power away while the other that does have traction gets no power. It’s what an open differential does and it’s what can get you stuck. I think this is quite an oversight on a vehicle that chest-thumps its off-road prowess to the extent the Thar does.

Anyway, with Maharashtra dry, I had to find a new challenge, and that challenge presented itself in a 1200km, Mumbai-Goa round trip for the Royal Enfield Rider Mania. There were faster, more comfortable cars in the office parking lot, but I figured the combination of Goa, Royal Enfield and Thar had a nice ring to it. So the Thar it was.

I was genuinely surprised by how comfortable the journey was. I remember driving a Mahindra Classic to Lonavla and that was extremely tiring. The Thar, on the other hand, has a willing engine, an air-conditioned cabin and a reasonably comfy suspension. Sure, there was quite a lot of noise at speed – a bit of canopy flapping mixed with some wind noise and a hint of turbo whistle – but it wasn’t deafening. I took the NH4, which is a four-laner most of the way. It was easy to maintain triple-digit speeds and on its smooth surface, there was little of the high-speed float that the Thar displays on bumpy surfaces. I turned off at Nipani in Karnataka and then headed coastward via the Amboli Ghat towards Sawantwadi and Goa. Luckily for me, there was just 10km of absolutely broken road to tackle and even this bit I could confidently hammer through because the Thar just felt like it could take the punishment. I got to Vagator in nine hours, surprised by the seats, which were more comfortable than I thought they’d be. And I did like the sight of the Thar among the chrome of the six-hundred-odd Royal Enfields that had turned up.

It was functional too – the load bay served to carry a grill for a barbeque stall as well as one huge, hairy biker and two entire sets of riding gear back to Mumbai after the event.

I haven’t been able to spec the Thar up with a few options since the last report, but that’s exactly what I plan to do next. I’m thinking, maybe, a winch. Watch this space.

Odometer: 13,500km

Price: Rs 8.37 lakh on-road, Mumbai

Test Economy: 7.1 kpl

Mantainence costs: Rs 22,054 for steering rack, Rs 4,446 for second service

Faults: A bit of canopy rattle.

OUSEPH CHACKO

Source

Mahindra Thar (Third report) | Review | Autocar India

^ white & sand colour comes only in Di variant,where as the other colours come in Crde variants,white & sand colour are not available in crde varaint.
Di Variant does look like the old jeep(MM540) cos of absence of cosmetic add ons.

Last edited:

^ white & sand colour comes only in Di variant,where as the other colours come in Crde variants,white & sand colour are not available in crde varaint.
Di Variant does look like the old jeep(MM540) cos of absence of cosmetic add ons.
Yeah i knew it, but have seen some white Thars in Bangalore with the CRDe badge in the side fenders (maybe to fool the on-lookers).

But some off-roading enthusiasts say Di is better for off-roading than the CRDe version,

I have a doubt here, does the Di variant also carries the Borg Warner 4x4 system?

h nice buddy i like the Thar in white and maroon color, but white is the best among all. Awaiting ownership review with lots of pics, so you are into off-roading?
not purely into offroading... but needs to travel some kinda places to our estate [:)]

Yeah i knew it, but have seen some white Thars in Bangalore with the CRDe badge in the side fenders (maybe to fool the on-lookers).

But some off-roading enthusiasts say Di is better for off-roading than the CRDe version,

I have a doubt here, does the Di variant also carries the Borg Warner 4x4 system?
Hey,
Now you can get white color in Thar CRDe as well, it launched on public demand in second version which is 2012.

Thar DI don't have Borg Warner TC its only on Thar CRDe. Now which is better own choice both have +ve and -ve points :D

I own Thar CRDe and its best jeep for me. Just had first servicing and now waiting for rain to have bath in mud.

Hey,
Now you can get white color in Thar CRDe as well, it launched on public demand in second version which is 2012.

Thar DI don't have Borg Warner TC its only on Thar CRDe. Now which is better own choice both have +ve and -ve points :D

I own Thar CRDe and its best jeep for me. Just had first servicing and now waiting for rain to have bath in mud.
Thanks for the information pal, and nice to know that you own a THAR, i am waiting for an ownership review as well as off-roading on the same. [:)]

Top Bottom