Mahindra Thar Review & Pictures

Re: Mahindra To Launch Vastly Improvised Thar in 2013

Nice review bro and the jeep looks good from outside but seriously where did he spent 7 Lacs[surprise]. I mean i am just curious after looking at the pics that where are those 7 lacs? i mean what parts and acessories did he shed the 7 lacs.

Outside looks + 100 but inside as you mentioned Chindigiri. But i liked the seats which are obviously after market.

Nice review bro and the jeep looks good from outside but seriously where did he spent 7 Lacs[surprise]. I mean i am just curious after looking at the pics that where are those 7 lacs? i mean what parts and acessories did he shed the 7 lacs.

Outside looks + 100 but inside as you mentioned Chindigiri. But i liked the seats which are obviously after market.
4 Seats, ac, alloys , the soft top , leather sterring cover , and some here and there leather patches even outside the wheel arches , air dam , dual exhaust bull bars and all that . But there is very little you can do inside because the basic vehicle has not been thought fully done inside . The steering actually touches the dashboard .

Nice short review there Raja, but the vehicle looks wacky! and i don't think that 7 lakhs is not worth to spend like this in a car, anyway if the owner is happy then no issues[;)].

The suspensions are horrible and even small undulations are felt inside the cabin
As it uses the leaf springs at the rear, it is advised to add more leafs at rear to increase comfort levels

it looks like a good show piece
I drove once however due to engine it sounded cranky
I have driven gypsy and that was smooth maybe because of MUL engine

Nice short review there Raja, but the vehicle looks wacky! and i don't think that 7 lakhs is not worth to spend like this in a car, anyway if the owner is happy then no issues[;)].

As it uses the leaf springs at the rear, it is advised to add more leafs at rear to increase comfort levels
To be honest with you I agree with you it dosent seem that great specially inside after spending so much money . But then my freind is a jeep lover so he dosent mind .

it looks like a good show piece
I drove once however due to engine it sounded cranky
I have driven gypsy and that was smooth maybe because of MUL engine
Thar - desiel engine buddy of course it will sound crude but the engine made by mahindra is mind blowing .
And gypsy is a petrol car so it will be more smooth by nature compared to the crdi engine of mahindra and not because mul made it .

Re: Mahindra Thar (Off) Road Test Review

Thanks a lot for the pic's and a wonderful short review, spending 7L on top of the overpriced Thar does not make sense to me

He spend 7 lakhs extra on the thar . Mahindra customization did the job on his thar .
Sounds like a rip off,but then dealer options are never value for money anyways,he should have got the work done else where i feel,got some off roaders in my friends circle who have spent similar amounts but they have alot of kit for the same amount of money.
Totally hated the twin exhaust bits,were they done by Mahindra too?

Sounds like a rip off,but then dealer options are never value for money anyways,he should have got the work done else where i feel,got some off roaders in my friends circle who have spent similar amounts but they have alot of kit for the same amount of money.
Totally hated the twin exhaust bits,were they done by Mahindra too?
Yes everything was done by mahindra , he bought the stock thar and gave to mahindra customization directly .
Can you post pics of your freinds thar who has customized it locally will be interesting to see .

@Raja: Oh. My. God.[surprise]

What have they done to the Thar?????!!!!!! And Rs. 7 lakhs for ruining a reasonably good looking vehicle!!!!

I thought nobody in India could beat Dilip Chhabriya when it came to screwing a good looking car royally but Mahindra Customization have proven me wrong.

I would love to meet the person who did the exterior of this ....this 'Thing'[frustration], to know if he did it as some sort of a joke. But more than that I'd love to meet the person who decided that "Oh c'mon, I know people who would easily cough up 7 lakhs for this contraption"

If I were to ever drive this 'Thing', I'd make it sure to wear a full face helmet with black visor so that nobody could identify me.

I wish that I could put the frustration smiley here 7 lakh times.

Symmetry? Aesthetics? Proportion? Taste? What's all this? Sorry sir, we are Mahindra Customizations.

Last edited:

Yes everything was done by mahindra , he bought the stock thar and gave to mahindra customization directly .
Can you post pics of your freinds thar who has customized it locally will be interesting to see .
My friends Thar does not have heavy customization just some lights & alloys,
the offroaders i told which had 6-7 lakhs work done on them are land cruisers & its just stunning the amount of kit & custom work that comes at that price such as

heavy duty winches,
tires,
alloys,
camping equipment,
integrated retractable tent,
Kc lights(alot),
custom bumper front & back,
custom spare wheel mount,
roof mounted carrier,
solar panels,
air carjack,
Snorkel kit
& some other mods cant remember ,

so looking at the Thar which had a same customization price tag was baffling.

MAHINDRA TO LAUNCH AN UPGRADED THAR 4X4 SUV IN 2013

The upgraded Thar could feature a hard top as this is one long standing demand that many prospective owners have been making.

Also, the interiors are expected to be improved with better fit and finish. Apart from these changes, the upgraded Thar could also get the 1.5 Liter turbo diesel engine. This engine, which is a twin turbo unit, made its debut on the Quanto compact SUV and could also make it to the Thar. The idea behind using the 1.5 Liter twin turbo diesel engine on the Thar could have to do with the lower excise duty that Mahindra will have to pay since the Thar measures in at under 4 meters in length.

Therefore, the usage of the 1.5 Liter twin turbo diesel engine would make the Thar eligible for a lower duty structure as it would then be classified as a small car. If that happens, Mahindra could outfit the Thar with better interiors and a hard top while still managing to keep the price unchanged. The idea is that the lower duty takes care of the higher cost of better interiors and hard top.

ICB Speculation: Mahindra to launch an upgraded Thar 4X4 SUV in 2013 | IndianCarsBikes.in

Dhabhar Behram sir already gave hints that the 1.5lt may make its way into THAR,and it looks like his forecast is going to be right.

Awwwwwww. A 3 cylinder engine in an off roader:(. If only I had the money, I would buy the CRDe today before they plonk the 1.5 in it.

Cost cutting on a niche vehicle?? Not cricket, Mr. Mahindra.

Yes,even I am sceptical about this move.But still,I will blame our government more for this move than MnM itself!Hope they continue selling the 2.6 crde variant with a hard top.

Awwwwwww. A 3 cylinder engine in an off roader:(. If only I had the money, I would buy the CRDe today before they plonk the 1.5 in it.

Cost cutting on a niche vehicle?? Not cricket, Mr. Mahindra.
The Di is any-day better in Thar for off-roading purposes.
3cyl doesn't make good deal in off-roading? All you need is torque for this purpose right?

Yes,even I am sceptical about this move.But still,I will blame our government more for this move than MnM itself!Hope they continue selling the 2.6 crde variant with a hard top.
Crde will be sold along with the 3cyl engine i guess because most of the Thars sold are CRDe's and if they stop this version, then M&M itself will wash away its buyers.

Top Bottom