Mahindra Scorpio VLX Mist Silver: 1,00,000 Kms & Counting

Re: Mahindra Scorpio VLX Mist Silver - 55,555 Kms and Counting

Hi mukeshus,
I have been following your thread regularly and I must say that you have maintained your beast in immaculate condition even after these years. [clap] Also your detailed review and sharing of your experiences are very valuable to us. BTW I am looking forward to buy either Scorpio or XUV 500. I had a test drive last week of both the cars and my wife felt that infact scorpio is less bouncy when the car goes over a pothole when compared to XUV. I was surprised by this and so drove both the cars again and yes she was correct. Maybe that the test drive XUV was not well maintained. Also I was initially inclined in buying a W8 version but later put off the idea considering the various niggles and problems the owners are reporting.
Now the choice is between w6 or scorpio VLX. I want to know as per your experience do you think which would serve me well. Even the dealer told us that when compared to XUV, scorpio is more robust and rugged. Please give us your suggestions as you have been leaving with your scorpio for so long and is it good if I opt for this when a new refreshed model is being launched next year. Are there any particular things that I need to look out for in scorpio. And we are thinking of 7 seater captain seats configuration or 8 seater. Give us your inputs on this please.

Thread Starter #678

Hi mukeshus,
I have been following your thread regularly and I must say that you have maintained your beast in immaculate condition even after these years. [clap] Also your detailed review and sharing of your experiences are very valuable to us. BTW I am looking forward to buy either Scorpio or XUV 500. I had a test drive last week of both the cars and my wife felt that infact scorpio is less bouncy when the car goes over a pothole when compared to XUV. I was surprised by this and so drove both the cars again and yes she was correct. Maybe that the test drive XUV was not well maintained. Also I was initially inclined in buying a W8 version but later put off the idea considering the various niggles and problems the owners are reporting.
Now the choice is between w6 or scorpio VLX. I want to know as per your experience do you think which would serve me well. Even the dealer told us that when compared to XUV, scorpio is more robust and rugged. Please give us your suggestions as you have been leaving with your scorpio for so long and is it good if I opt for this when a new refreshed model is being launched next year. Are there any particular things that I need to look out for in scorpio. And we are thinking of 7 seater captain seats configuration or 8 seater. Give us your inputs on this please.
Thanks for those kind words Ragmax.

Scorpio is serving well to my needs and purpose.

Yes you can find numerous merits and demerits of both the vehicle.

I would suggest you to have numerous test drive of both the vehicles once again.

The latest Scorpio will be out only by Jun 2014 or so.

XUV W4 is also on cards.

I would suggest you to wait for XUV W4 or Scorpio 2014 with revamped interiors.

Seven seater side facing gives you lot of option of luggage carrying as well as people.

The middle row tends to sway, but all depends on how you drive.

Mine is a pre-refresh Vlx variant, the 1st Gen mHawk engine.

There is also art of driving Scorpio, like if you approach a hump sideways, there is horizontal swaying. As independent coil springs work.

So to eliminate this if you drive with 2 tyres approaching a hump together the swaying can be eliminated.

One always has to know the limitations of the vehicle.

One thing to remember is maintenance in the long run.

My next vehicle shall be Scorpio for sure.

Hi mukesh,
I am not sure but I guess I spotted your car yesterday near T.R.Nagar. [;)] I think so because I saw the 'Hertz' sticker at the back of the car. I think it is your car since it looked in immaculate condition and was of the same colour and with the same bull guard. I saw this on the Dattatreya temple road.

Thread Starter #680

Hi mukesh,
I am not sure but I guess I spotted your car yesterday near T.R.Nagar. [;)] I think so because I saw the 'Hertz' sticker at the back of the car. I think it is your car since it looked in immaculate condition and was of the same colour and with the same bull guard. I saw this on the Dattatreya temple road.
RagMax you are spot on, it was indeed me.
After washing the car for close to 3 hours, took it for short ride.
But today's rain has spoiled the beauty.

RagMax you are spot on, it was indeed me.
After washing the car for close to 3 hours, took it for short ride.
But today's rain has spoiled the beauty.
mukesh, don't worry your car will be as good as a new one after next rain. [lol] Jokes apart, I am sure you will put your effort in making your beast look like new all again. BTW how is your car doing now. Are you facing any issues. I realized after seeing your snaps that you have not opted for any seat covers. Am I right. If so why don't you go for some leather seat covers. It would look classy inside the scorpio. I am contemplating going for Marvin seat covers irrespective of whether I buy XUV or Scorpio. For the scorpio they are quoting a price of Rs.28,000 for art leather seats and Rs.53,000 for pure leather seat covers including steering, gear knob and door pads. Have you been able to check out any of the seat covers from reputed brands like Marvin or Stanley.

Thread Starter #682
Re: Mahindra Scorpio VLX Mist Silver - 55,555 Kms and Countingpp100

Recently the 90/100 left side headlamp bulb gave up before a long journey.
Got it replaced in Udupi.

Before the bulb could go, there was a lightning kind of light from the bulb.

On inspection only low beam filament had gone, high beam was working.

The AC fan in 3 rd speed mode is remaining off.

Apart from this the vehicle starts shaking when shifting to 2 nd gear, looks like the Clevis clutch pin replaced recently needs to be looked upon.

It happens once in a while not always.

Have booked an appointment on Tuesday at Chrome Motors.

I actually thought not to go for leather as in summer it will get hot soon.

So looking for fabric finish only, the only reason I was against car covers as the seats can squeak if factory fitting is disturbed.

There is no rattles or squeaks coming in these 5 years.

In a week my car will celebrate its 5th year Birthday.

Insurance already renewed a week ago.

But yes seat covers are really on mind, with underbody anti rust coating.

Last edited:

Happy to hear that your beast is completing its 5 years of relatively trouble free running. Hope that you will enjoy your beast's company for years to come.
Have you enquired how much does the underbody antirust coating costs. Even I am thinking of getting it done as soon as I buy my car but not from the dealer for obvious reasons but from 3M.
BTW Happy Diwali buddy. [:)]

Thread Starter #684

Hey guys it has been 5 year journey with Hawk.

Yesterday 2 minor issues of hawk was resolved.

One is the AC's resistor was replaced.

Another is the clutch switch was replaced, which solved the issue.

Brought a spare 90/100 bulb to be stored in Glove box.

Total bill came around 1412/- including 350 labour.

I wanted the Hawk to be flawless on its 5th Birthday.

So Happy with the Hawk after rectifying the 2 issues.

5 Year- 58000 kms

The hawk has brought a great joy since day one.

The long drive in these years has brought a great amount of confidence.

It has engulfed the bad roads and no roads with ease.

1-001.jpg

1-001 (2).jpg

4-004.jpg

3-003.jpg

4-145.jpg

3-029.jpg

4-030.jpg

1-026.jpg

Last edited:

Hi mukesh, your car looks awesome upclose. The pictures have come really good. Had been to Anant cars and India garage recently. Took test drive of both XUV and Scorpio. I was about to decide on XUV when I heard one of the owners of XUV complaining about the clutch over the phone. Decided then and there itself that enough is enough and I cannot take a chance with me and my family being stranded somewhere because of this now infamous issue. I have decided on scorpio VLX with airbags. I would like to know if the alloys can be changed on VLX and still have tyretronics working. Also which dealer would you recommend for me. Personally i thought Anant cars was better than India garage. Give me your opinion buddy. Hopefully I will be booking my car by next week.

Thread Starter #686

Hi mukesh, your car looks awesome upclose. The pictures have come really good. Had been to Anant cars and India garage recently. Took test drive of both XUV and Scorpio. I was about to decide on XUV when I heard one of the owners of XUV complaining about the clutch over the phone. Decided then and there itself that enough is enough and I cannot take a chance with me and my family being stranded somewhere because of this now infamous issue. I have decided on scorpio VLX with airbags. I would like to know if the alloys can be changed on VLX and still have tyretronics working. Also which dealer would you recommend for me. Personally i thought Anant cars was better than India garage. Give me your opinion buddy. Hopefully I will be booking my car by next week.
Hi Ragmax, Yes I would recommend you the same.

Anant Cars is earlier SKS auto which was Vijai Auto when I had booked there.

As they were about to change to SKS then, they couldn't deliver the vehicle on time.

When we were ready with cash, later they transferred the offer with Sireesh and made sure that we got the good deal.

As M&M was involved in this.

Anant Cars also have their dealership on Mysore road, give a try there as well.

You may get good offers within dealerships.

I would suggest you to visit Sireesh as well, as you can take a very long test drive.

And for timely delivery.

Way back in 2008 they had ready car for quick delivery.

Once you TD keep on pushing sales person for better deal.

Always take competitors name and try to squeeze for more offers.

Take TD with multiple dealerships.

TPMS can be swapped on new alloys, but I would recommend you to stay with stock ones as they too are of good quality.

I don't have any issues with them, but I feel that could void the warranty.

Don't hurry to book, take some time and look what others are offering.

Last edited:

Hi Mukesh,
I am pleased to inform that I have taken the delivery of a new Black Scorpio 2WD VLX last week. I will be starting a new thread on ownership very soon. BTW thanks for you as I have read your ownership thread which consequently helped me on deciding my new car.

Hi Mukesh,
I am pleased to inform that I have taken the delivery of a new Black Scorpio 2WD VLX last week. I will be starting a new thread on ownership very soon. BTW thanks for you as I have read your ownership thread which consequently helped me on deciding my new car.
Congrats Ragmax for your new acquisition and welcome to the Scorpio club. If you take a few tips from @Mukeshus with respect to the maintenance, I am sure the SUV will not disappoint you at all.[:)]

P.S: I am in the 5th year of happy and enjoyable ownership with my 2009 Scorpio in Black.

Congrats Ragmax for your new acquisition and welcome to the Scorpio club. If you take a few tips from @Mukeshus with respect to the maintenance, I am sure the SUV will not disappoint you at all.[:)]

P.S: I am in the 5th year of happy and enjoyable ownership with my 2009 Scorpio in Black.
Thanks Manoj,
I am happy and relieved to know that you are enjoying your car even after 5 years. This gives me an assurance that I have made the right decision by going in for the Scorpio. Indeed i would need the tips on maintaining he car not only from mukesh but also from you and fellow members. Your tips and advice would be priceless for a guy who is new in terms of owning a Scorpio.

Thread Starter #690

Hi Mukesh,
Congrats RagMax, awaiting more on your new ownership thread.

Thanks for those kind words Manoj.

Tips[embarass], i am just learning from all.

Top Bottom