Mahindra Scorpio: Technical Issues & Solutions

Re: Mahindra Scorpio Clutch Issues

The best would be to tweet to Mr Anand Mahindra / Mr Pawan Goenka (The Scorpio Man) to get a resolution forward.

M2all.com is possible, but they deliver only to India. Have big geographical constraints. Not sure why.

Have you tried any dealerships/service centres in South Africa. Mahindra has good presence there.
Thanks for your answer CasualSurfer.

Yes I looked at M2all.com. Are there any other big online shops in India?
I did look at South Africa but don't have any contacts there.
One option might be Urugay. I heard the car is also sold in Urugay and I do have an acquaintance living there.

What I mostly look for if Mahindra used parts for the scorpio which also fits other cars/brands. For example, Ssanyong cars are sold here and I might have a better change to get parts for those.

Time for an update:

It turns out after some researching that the transmission of the Scorpio is sourced from Renault. So in this case I could order the concentric slave cylinder from a European website which delivers with DHL. I just had to look up car models which use the same part. Which is actually quite a lot of different cars and brands. Anyway, in a week the slave cylinder part arrived on my desk and was installed the next day. I am a happy man again!

Another question: How to change the time of the radio cd player in my car? I don't have a manual and I don't have any clue.

Time for an update:

It turns out after some researching that the transmission of the Scorpio is sourced from Renault. So in this case I could order the concentric slave cylinder from a European website which delivers with DHL. I just had to look up car models which use the same part. Which is actually quite a lot of different cars and brands. Anyway, in a week the slave cylinder part arrived on my desk and was installed the next day. I am a happy man again!

Another question: How to change the time of the radio cd player in my car? I don't have a manual and I don't have any clue.
Great news. Did you say you own a Mahindra Scorpio VLX 4X4? I may have some old manuals saved on my disk, can reproduce those relevant images, if possible?

It's actually a Scorpio GLX 4x4. This the LWD export version I believe. But I think the radio is the same as the Indian versions. It is the same one as shown in this picture. If you have a manual of this radio that would be great!

Attachments

Abs problems

In my scorpion mhawk a problem persists of abs(anti-lock braking system) . abs is displaying in my cars displays everytime whenever I start my car and while driving it. I have shown these issue to Mahindra authorised service centre. They have checked and verified it everything is correct. But the problem persist.
How do I solve this issue?

It's actually a Scorpio GLX 4x4. This the LWD export version I believe. But I think the radio is the same as the Indian versions. It is the same one as shown in this picture. If you have a manual of this radio that would be great!
Hey, sorry for the delay. Somehow missed this post. I don't have the manual for this. I will be visiting the service centre tomorrow, let me ask around & get back to you.

Hi, I live in New Zealand and have the single cab ute 2.2,, 2013 model,,Mhawk. The engine light came on and turbo stopped working. Looks like an oil leak on top of engine under the little cover. And oil leaking into intercooler. Can any one tell me why oil going into intercooler ? thank you.

Hi All,

I'm using S10 2015 model. I want to change the tyres (235/65/R17) and was thinking to buy Goodyear AT/SA. My driving style is 80% city/highway and 20% off road. Can you please advice if it is a good choice?

Hi, I live in New Zealand and have the single cab ute 2.2,, 2013 model,,Mhawk. The engine light came on and turbo stopped working. Looks like an oil leak on top of engine under the little cover. And oil leaking into intercooler. Can any one tell me why oil going into intercooler ? thank you.
Hello Modat,
I'm a bit late I know, but has your problem been resolved? Did you get to know how engine oil got to the intercooler?
If the turbo stopped working at the same time, its possible that the oil seal on the turbo blower side had failed, leading to failure.
In which event its not difficult for the oil to travel with the scavenge air stream from the turbo to the intercooler before proceeding
on to the intake manifold.

At the same time I look forward to your feedback from the service centre where you got it repaired.

Details :-owner : joydip , scorpio- S4+, manufacturing 15/5/15 purchased 20/8/15 53k (thousand) km done.Problem in Starting. Battery is alright, extra electrical fittings:- 1) Autocop central locking and reverse parking, 2) Scarfplate, 3) Pioneer 4 speaker Audio with amp, 4) fog lamp, Offroad 22” bar LED, 55wt driving light.

Trouble details: starting problem.

Details :-owner : joydip , scorpio- S4+, manufacturing 15/5/15 purchased 20/8/15 53k (thousand) km done.Problem in Starting. Battery is alright, extra electrical fittings:- 1) Autocop central locking and reverse parking, 2) Scarfplate, 3) Pioneer 4 speaker Audio with amp, 4) fog lamp, Offroad 22” bar LED, 55wt driving light.
Trouble details: starting problem.
Hello joydip,
If you could clarify a bit more :
1) Does the engine turn over when starter switch is worked, or does the engine remain dead?
2)The engine turns over at normal starting RPM, but refuses to pick up thereafter.
3)The engine starts after repeated attempts but RPM is irregular.

gearhead2, Thanks for your quick response

1) Does the engine turn over when starter switch is worked, or does the engine remain dead?
Ans: When crank the key engine doesn’t start.

2)The engine turns over at normal starting RPM, but refuses to pick up thereafter.
Ans: The engine starts by pushing the vehicle, while driving pickup fluctuations notice, if High beam switch pull audio turned off, dash board parking break red round light and other light eliminates. Vehicle running sometimes fast and sometimes slow. Abnormal behaviour. Slow pickup.

Ans: 2/3 days Earlier time engine starts after repeated attempt but RPM not observe, but went to EXIDE battery shop, person who checked with the Meter said battery (Amron) is ok.

Is it a SELF starter issue? Tomorrow will try to resolve the problem, present status is, when I insert key and crank dashboard light eliminating and going out (blank) no response, Centralized lock is not working, even manually has to lock each door. When unlocking, all doors unlocked, again manually each door locked.
Which way shall I approach or asked the technician to digs it. Shall I ask to dismantle all my extra electric fittings, or shall I check the SELF Starter, or what else ....

Please suggest.

gearhead2, Thanks for your quick response
Ans: When crank the key engine doesn’t start.
Ans: The engine starts by pushing the vehicle, while driving pickup fluctuations notice, if High beam switch pull audio turned off, dash board parking break red round light and other light eliminates. Vehicle running sometimes fast and sometimes slow. Abnormal behaviour. Slow pickup.
Ans: 2/3 days Earlier time engine starts after repeated attempt but RPM not observe, but went to EXIDE battery shop, person who checked with the Meter said battery (Amron) is ok.
Is it a SELF starter issue? Tomorrow will try to resolve the problem, present status is, when I insert key and crank dashboard light eliminating and going out (blank) no response, Centralized lock is not working, even manually has to lock each door. When unlocking, all doors unlocked, again manually each door locked.
Which way shall I approach or asked the technician to digs it. Shall I ask to dismantle all my extra electric fittings, or shall I check the SELF Starter, or what else ....
Please suggest.
As I understand, the engine is only started by pushing the vehicle and electrical accessories (lights,central locking) are also affected, and the vehicle's running is irregular and abnormal.

Also your car is the new S4 model, with MHawk engine, which is CRD. This means the fuel injection is electronically controlled (solenoid or piezo). Irregular & abnormal running of the engine can mean that the fuel injection and its associated electronics is malfunctioning (the ECU)
You have mentioned that the battery is OK (but since the engine is not turning over on battery) I suspect that the starter motor control system may be affected also.

If you are going to the FNG (or the M&M authorised service centre), ask them to check the fuel injection system and associated electronics/electricals (the ECU), as well as the starter motor controls.

Also please check if the diesel tank has water contamination, which can give irregular running with starting problems. Diesel engines can run with fuel contaminated with water (5-10 %) although performance is affected.

Our Scorpio is 14 years old and happily it has no electronics to speak of, siince it has the old jerk type fuel injection pump. That means no ECU gremlins![:)]

I wish your steed has a quick recovery!

Last edited:
Re: 2009 Mahindra Scorpio Petrol

Good day people.
I have a issue with my vehicle that I cant get to the bottom of,I did contact my nearest Mahindra dealer and although they said they will have to keep the car and run the tests to find out what the problem is,the dealer is 100km from where I live,and I cant have the car standing there for a day or two cause its the only car we have right now.
Right,the vehicle is the 2lt petrol version,why on earth I bought it is beyond me,its really not a nice car,I mean who makes such a big car,puts a 2lt engine in it and doesn't put a turbo in it?I can go on about it but let me get to the real problem.
Whilst driving,and it happens very randomly,sometimes 5 or 6 times a day,sometimes for months it doesn't do anything,the engine light on the dashboard starts flashing and one cant accelerate,if you push the clutch in then the engine starts revving like mad.It takes you to switch the car off completely and restart it,whilst driving can you believe,to cancel this weird thing that it does.Sometimes switching the car off and back on helps,sometimes it doesn't it has happened before (a few times) that we have been left stranded on the side of the road,then I put the car off,wait a while,and sometimes on the first go it helps,sometimes not.I have no idea even where to start looking for the problem.
Id be so thankful if someone could help me sort this issue out,my wife uses the car most of the time,doing the school run,I have a bike,so getting this problem resolved would put my mind at ease.
Thank you so much.
Sir, I am having exactly the same problem. Can u tell me how u solve your problem

As I understand, the engine is only started by pushing the vehicle and electrical accessories (lights,central locking) are also affected, and the vehicle's running is irregular and abnormal.

Also your car is the new S4 model, with MHawk engine, which is CRD. This means the fuel injection is electronically controlled (solenoid or piezo). Irregular & abnormal running of the engine can mean that the fuel injection and its associated electronics is malfunctioning (the ECU)
You have mentioned that the battery is OK (but since the engine is not turning over on battery) I suspect that the starter motor control system may be affected also.

If you are going to the FNG (or the M&M authorised service centre), ask them to check the fuel injection system and associated electronics/electricals (the ECU), as well as the starter motor controls.

Also please check if the diesel tank has water contamination, which can give irregular running with starting problems. Diesel engines can run with fuel contaminated with water (5-10 %) although performance is affected.

Our Scorpio is 14 years old and happily it has no electronics to speak of, siince it has the old jerk type fuel injection pump. That means no ECU gremlins![:)]

I wish your steed has a quick recovery!
The problem ultimately solved. Thank you for your kind concern[clap]. I called MASS (Mahindra Authorised Service Station) for support as my car is not starting and it is standing at my garage. Since i don't have availed RSA (Road Side Assistance)service therefore technician replied they will charge Rs 1000/- to visit, hence i thought what may be the potential problem let myself judge first, I started analyzing the problem one by one. Initially i called some guys and tried a push start, which i failed. Secondly i called AutoCop Help center, they replied that they will arrive soon and there service charge is Rs 600/- i said 'OK' . Now i went to an Exide Care battery Shop and called a mechanic along with a Battery and a jump start cable to check my battery condition assuring them that if it is a battery issue then i am going to purchase a new cell from Exide only. With the help of spare battery my vehicle responded with a single crank[:D]. It's all done. I selected New Battery which is "EXIDE Mileage RED" @ Rs 4900/- with exchange of my old one. “All problems become smaller when you confront them instead of dodging them.” – William F. Halsey... Thank you ones again.

Top Bottom