Mahindra Scorpio M-Hawk - One Year Ownership

Thread Starter #151
1st Birthday of my beast!

Hey guys,
There are certain days you'll cherish for a lifetime and today is one such day. It was exactly a year ago, I bought him home. He has clocked nearly 20K kms and I wish to do a lot more in the coming years.

Summary of my one year of ownership.

1. Total Kms on odo : 64086
(At the time of purchase : 44321)

2. Kms done as of today : 19765

3. Service and Maintenance :
a. 18/10/2010 - 1st service : 5K
b. 20/1/2011 - 1st Issue : Oil leakage from the bottom of the clutch - Replaced M C Assembly and clutch tube slave oil : 2.5K
c. 27/4/2011 - 2nd Service : 6K
d. 20/5/2011 - Clutch replaced : 18K
e. Next service : Due next month

Total : 32K

Below are some pics that I took today.

DSCN0281.JPG

DSCN0263.JPG

DSCN0266.JPG

DSCN0270.JPG

Request for Mods : Please change the title to 'Mahindra Scorpio mHawk - One Year Ownership' and please remove the thumbs down icon. I must have selected that by mistake.

Cheers
Avinash

Last edited:
Re: From German Engineering to Korean Beauty to Finally the "Indian" Beast!

Congratulations buddy , looks like you have given her a nice clean wash.

Nice picture avinash, the sporty decal on the bonnet is missing.
Or is it the effects of camera.

Well maintained...[:)]

Last edited:
Thread Starter #154

Congratulations buddy , looks like you have given her a nice clean wash.
Thanks dhaya. Yup, gave him (I dont have the heart to call this fellow as her [;)]) a well deserved bath & a polish, after he turned brown, in the recent rains.

Nice picture avinash, the sporty decal on the bonnet is missing.
Or is it the effects of camera.

Well maintained...[:)]
Thanks Mukesh. Yeah, its the effect of the picture. The decal is still there.

Re: Mahindra Scorpio mHawk - One Year Ownership

Avinash the tyre indicators are showing red already, looks like you will have to replace those tyres.

Am i wrong?

Thread Starter #157

Was there a tranmission leak?
I'm sorry, what?

Avinash the tyre indicators are showing red already, looks like you will have to replace those tyres.

Am i wrong?
I just replaced the tyres a couple of weeks ago. What Red indicator did you find and where is that?

Hi avindu , Scorpio is on my wish list and I am planning to purchase it.Your inputs will help me a lot. Thanks

Thread Starter #160

Hi avindu , Scorpio is on my wish list and I am planning to purchase it.Your inputs will help me a lot. Thanks
Hi Surfer,
As you must be aware, there are a lot of things to consider, when narrowing down to a specific car and model. Since you're keen on Scorpio, please do let me know the following details, so we can help you further.

1. What is your budget? (This will help us in suggesting you the model)
2. What is your usage? (How many kms do you drive in a day)
3. Do you have any special requirements? (Like a 7 or 8 seater)
4. What would be the car mainly used for? (City driving or mostly highways)

If you require details about the service and cost, please read my ownership report, at leisure. Also do read our fellow member, Mukesh's ownership report - http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ws/1367-mahindra-scorpio-vlx-mist-silver.html Both of us have shared all the details related to service and spares.

What was the cost of each tyre Avinash.
I was bit confused whether you got a new tyre or it was the tyre indicator.
These are Bridgestone Duelers 235/16/R70. The cost is 7,100/- per tyre. Will soon share more information on this.

I think the red marking is from the factory, when it goes through the testing phase.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #161
Hey guys,
Its been quite sometime that I updated the thread. He is doing just fine and I'm planning to get a proactive maintenance done, probably just before new year.

Just a summary :

Kms done : 31537

Service : Replaced only the engine oil after the Leh trip.

Following are some of the things I have found out :

1. Change Timing belt
2. Suspension overhaul (not sure if this required)
3. Pilot bearing/bush greasing
4. Gear box foundations
5. Check all electricals

Please do let me know if there is anything else that needs to be checked. So, I can have a trouble-free 2012 [;)]

Thread Starter #162
Dream run comes to an end!

15 months - 32000Kms and bang!

I met with an accident on Sunday morning (Yes, on the TAI meet day) and was left with a broken headlamp and a bent bonnet.

This is what happened :

I was really excited about the meet and was all geared up. Little did I know, what was in store for me.

I left home around 8:45AM on 27th and headed towards the Banshankari temple to pick up, Sreejesh. On the way I met Manjunath (carfreak) and told him will catch up in 10 minutes.

Just before the temple, a lorry ahead of me breaked all of a sudden and I breaked hard, but even after the breaking, the car did not stop and it touched the rod.

The lorry driver said, a kid ran across the road and I had to stop. I could not do much. So, picked up Sreejesh and dropped him near the petrol bunk where Manju was waiting.

I panicked a bit and dint know what to do. I called up the Insurance guys, filed a claim & headed back home with a broken heart. I still couldn't believe what just happened.

After a couple of hours, inspected the car and rewinded the moment. I do RCA (Root cause analysis) day in and day out as part of my job. Now, I was thinking a little better and thought I'll do the same.

1. Why dint the car break during an 'Emergency breaking'?
2. The car has ABS. Did it fail?
3. Moreover, I have breaked this way in bumper to bumper traffic, every single day. So, what went wrong?

The answer : Tyre/wheel polish.

Unbelievable? Well, its sad but that's the truth.

The previous night, I cleaned the car and had used the tyre polish. The spray seems to have hit the discs on the front brakes, which made the car slip for those 2/3 crucial seconds.

So, if any of you using those tyre/wheel cleaners, please ensure not to spray them on the discs. I got the car on Wednesday and its back to shape.

On the other hand, this is the most hilarious incident in my 7 years of owning cars.

Last edited:
OMG, so sad to hear that.

Btw Avinash, i never use tyre polish, i suspect it, had you washed the vehicle prior to that.

What i do in such situations is to break hard, as much as possible, then only ABS kicks in.
It won't work if you release the break in the middle.

And if the spray would have caused it , you could have wiped it by braking several times when there are no vehicles behind.
Brake-leave the pedal-Brake - leave, that's what i follow.

Esp after washing i do that, ensuring no vehicle is at the back when i do this.

Good to know that Hawk was restored to normal.

As i had met Carfreak other day, he had said to me you would be waiting near DG Petrol Bunk.

Hey guys how about a meet again in December any plans, as there is nothing cropped up this time for time being from my side.

Last edited:
This is very interesting RCA Wheel/Tyre polish.. hmm. Now i need to think abt this a lot before apply.
Just a question. How does pumping the brake on and off stop better performance of brakes. I was in the impression that this is the best practice of braking (right from my old days of Fiat padmini).

This is very interesting RCA Wheel/Tyre polish.. hmm. Now i need to think abt this a lot before apply.
Just a question. How does pumping the brake on and off stop better performance of brakes. I was in the impression that this is the best practice of braking (right from my old days of Fiat padmini).
Krish this helps for one with ABS , as it senses panic inputs and ABS kicks in.

If the brake is released in intermittent it feels the situation is under control.

So under controlled critical situation, certain parameters have to be met for ABS to work, which one way is to press brakes as hard as you can, when situation is out of your control.

Top Bottom