Mahindra Scorpio M-Hawk - One Year Ownership

Thread Starter #121
Re: From German Engineering to Korean Beauty to Finally the "Indian" Beast!

Thanks for your input Mukesh. The battery in my car, is completely different from yours. The battery holder is in place and that is not the problem. I'll post a picture of the battery tomorrow, which should give you an idea.

Thread Starter #122
Clutch 'RIP'!

Its been a mixed feeling of owning the Scorp, so far. Looks like a series of issues, cropping up one after another. The clutch, gave way last night. Left the car at the IG workshop today and the cost for the replacement is Rs.10,400/-

Symptoms :

1. The clutch felt hard and shifting gears was not smooth
2. Accelerating results only in the engine revving and the car moves forward very slowly
3. The rpm drops quickly, while shifting gears.

Summary of my 8 months of ownership.

1. Kms done- 16,100
2. Total cost in maintenance and repair

a. 1st service - 5K
b. Clutch slave and assembly replaced - 2.5K
c. Paid service - 6K
d. Clutch replaced - 10.5K

Total : 23K

I can only hope that no other part will fail, atleast in the near future.

[shock] i am still running on my original clutch and here in 8month clutch gave away . i mean does traffic is so bad then delhi .

Sad to know about the clutch failure avindu. However didn't the Service center warn you about the issue when you serviced your vehicle with them last time. The A.S.S does the checkup every time we service the vehicle and the sole purpose of it is to know the future expenses/repairs.

Thread Starter #125

[shock] i am still running on my original clutch and here in 8month clutch gave away . i mean does traffic is so bad then delhi .
Well, atleast its lasted for 60K kms. Considering that it had done 44K at the time of purchase and the past 4 months of continuous city driving, about 2000kms/month in b2b traffic, might have been the cause.

Sad to know about the clutch failure avindu. However didn't the Service center warn you about the issue when you serviced your vehicle with them last time. The A.S.S does the checkup every time we service the vehicle and the sole purpose of it is to know the future expenses/repairs.
Absolutely. This is the first thing I asked, because the previous service was done last wednesday and its done just about 500kms since then. However they say the clutch is in an internal part and hard to identify if it would fail. Its sheer bad luck I guess.

Absolutely. This is the first thing I asked, because the previous service was done last wednesday and its done just about 500kms since then. However they say the clutch is in an internal part and hard to identify if it would fail. Its sheer bad luck I guess.
BTW did you face troubles of free revs while moving up an incline. This is a typical behavior of clutch plate when its life is limited to just a few 1000kms.

Well, atleast its lasted for 60K kms. Considering that it had done 44K at the time of purchase and the past 4 months of continuous city driving, about 2000kms/month in b2b traffic, might have been the cause.
sorry now i am confuse you said you have done 16k but now are u saying 44k :/
here
I

1. Kms done- 16,100
r

Last edited:

oops i totally forgot . i am sorry avindu then clutch giving at 60k is normal .

Thread Starter #130

BTW did you face troubles of free revs while moving up an incline. This is a typical behavior of clutch plate when its life is limited to just a few 1000kms.
Spot on. Yes, a couple of times. There is a steep incline, towards my house and I usually climb in 2nd gear. Last night, it was just struggling to make the way up.

oops i totally forgot . i am sorry avindu then clutch giving at 60k is normal .
Not a problem. The SA said he has come across certain Scorp's, where the clutch was replaced within 5K kms. Don't know if he said that to make me feel better or may be its true.

In addition to that, he mentioned, even if I had an extended warranty, the clutch is not covered under that. Is it true?

Last edited:

Oh man you seem to facing one problem or the other , hope this is the final one! I think in our Safari also we changed our clutch assembly around 60k KMS.

In addition to that, he mentioned, even if I had an extended warranty, the clutch is not covered under that. Is it true?
yes clutch are not included in warranty as one person can kill clutch within 5min But still in new car till 14k you can get clutch changed if you feel they are hard but 99% time they will ask owner to pay . One of my friend got it changed it in warranty before buying second hand safari [evil] from another owner

Oh man you seem to facing one problem or the other , hope this is the final one! I think in our Safari also we changed our clutch assembly around 60k KMS.
even i have been warned that clutch might need work after 60k

Re: Clutch 'RIP'!

Its been a mixed feeling of owning the Scorp, so far. Looks like a series of issues, cropping up one after another. The clutch, gave way last night. Left the car at the IG workshop today and the cost for the replacement is Rs.10,400/-

Symptoms :

1. The clutch felt hard and shifting gears was not smooth
2. Accelerating results only in the engine revving and the car moves forward very slowly
3. The rpm drops quickly, while shifting gears.

1. Kms done- 16,100
2. Total cost in maintenance and repair

a. 1st service - 5K
b. Clutch slave and assembly replaced - 2.5K
c. Paid service - 6K
d. Clutch replaced - 10.5K

Total : 23K

I can only hope that no other part will fail, atleast in the near future.

Avinash usually the clutch wont give problem.

The problem is that if have you driven in an inclined road with 2nd gear and accelerated from standstill, the clutch has burnt.
Usually what the drivers do is accelerating at that gear without changing it to 1st gear.
This burns the clutch.
In Petrol vehicle it doesn't gives problem, where as in diesel vehicles clutch burns immidiately.

And i hope it was not a failure.

Thread Starter #134

Avinash usually the clutch wont give problem.

The problem is that if have you driven in an inclined road with 2nd gear and accelerated from standstill, the clutch has burnt.
Usually what the drivers do is accelerating at that gear without changing it to 1st gear.
This burns the clutch.
In Petrol vehicle it doesn't gives problem, where as in diesel vehicles clutch burns immidiately.

And i hope it was not a failure.
Bro, the incline drive is a symptom I was referring to. (Please read the posts in the previous pages)

The SA showed me the parts. I noticed burnt out plates and rough patches. So, it did look like it has taken some beating. Only time will tell, how long the new clutch will last and also, I will know, how I drive [;)]

Bro, the incline drive is a symptom I was referring to. (Please read the posts in the previous pages)

The SA showed me the parts. I noticed burnt out plates and rough patches. So, it did look like it has taken some beating. Only time will tell, how long the new clutch will last and also, I will know, how I drive [;)]
I am not blaming you for the driving habits avinash.
May be the driving habits of the pervious owner might have caused this premature failure.

How is the car now?
Hope it has been restored...

From next service onwards do visit SKS Auto.
They keep the stock of every parts...

Top Bottom