Mahindra Scorpio M-Hawk - One Year Ownership

if you dont apply brakes, you can still activate cruise control just by pressing the "Set+" button & to de-activate the cruise control, you can simply pull the 'cruise' button on the side.

Hey Avindu any reasons for changing the oil and filters? Was it due for service? When was the vehicle last serviced by the previous owner?

1. I think its either 10k or 15k kms not sure! It must be in your manual or Raj and Mukesh can confirm this.

2. Not needed actually. I never top-up oils neither in my Verna nor my Safari and they are running fine.

3. Do it only if you notice the car pulling to one side in highways at high speeds , else your car is in fine condition.

350Z

Core Team
1st Service : 4000 Kms (Odo reading : 48300) on 18th October,2010

Got my Scorp, serviced from India Garage, Whitefiled road (near TATA Xylem).

Experience : Left the vehicle around 9:30 A.M. The SA was quite friendly and explained the things that had to be done in detail. Had just one complaint, about the brakes. Once in a while there was a squeaking noise from the rear, whenever the brakes were applied and mostly at lower speeds. Apart from that, informed the SA to get the Ineriors and the Engine compartment cleaned. The following was the break-up provided.

1. Paid service - Rs. 450
2. Engine oil and Oil filter - Rs.1500
3. Diesel Filter - Rs. 1700
4. Check up electricals - Rs. 190
5. Brake pads and Liners - Rs. 660
6. Interior cleaning - Rs. 600

Estimation - Rs.5100/-
The servicing cost is fairly reasonable and similar to what other Scorpio owners report on our forum. However, the delay in delivering the vehicle than expected time is too much disappointing, but not a new story at all. I had certain such experiences and thus, Now I generally prefer to get the car serviced in front of my eyes itself.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #49
if you dont apply brakes, you can still activate cruise control just by pressing the "Set+" button & to de-activate the cruise control, you can simply pull the 'cruise' button on the side.
havent tried that but just a clarification.. lets say, I'm at 80Kmph. I just press the Set+ button and remove my leg, from the accelerator?

Hey Avindu any reasons for changing the oil and filters? Was it due for service? When was the vehicle last serviced by the previous owner?

Well, the previous service was done at 43K. The engine oil & filters were replaced, however, since my usage is high and also will be travelling a lot on highways, wanted to replace the parts, oil etc., so I can maintain a clean record. So, from now on, I will know exactly at what stage, the car needs servicing and keep of track of it

1. I think its either 10k or 15k kms not sure! It must be in your manual or Raj and Mukesh can confirm this.

Yeah, it says 15K, but the SA confused me about the topping up the engine oil.

2. Not needed actually. I never top-up oils neither in my Verna nor my Safari and they are running fine.

So, still unsure of what needs to be done after every 5k kms.

3. Do it only if you notice the car pulling to one side in highways at high speeds , else your car is in fine condition.
Okay, cool. Thank you [thumbsup]

The servicing cost is fairly reasonable and similar to what other Scorpio owners report on our forum. However, the delay in delivering the vehicle than expected time is too much disappointing, but not a new story at all. I had certain such experiences and thus, Now I generally prefer to get the car serviced in front of my eyes itself.

Drive Safe,
350Z
30 minutes more or less is fine, but an hour and a half, was quite frustrating. Though appreciate the courtesy by the SA for providing a discount, they fail to keep the customers informed. The only thing I hoped was atleast a phone call and let me know what is being done with the car. Guess, small things do matter in a long run [;)]

Last edited by a moderator:
And forgot to mention your Scorpio is cheaper to maintain than my Safari infact on par with my Verna! Safari costs around Rs.6.5-7k for general service and Verna costs around Rs.5.5k.[thumbsup]

1st Service : 4000 Kms (Odo reading : 48300) on 18th October,2010

Got my Scorp, serviced from India Garage, Whitefiled road (near TATA Xylem).

Experience : Left the vehicle around 9:30 A.M. The SA was quite friendly and explained the things that had to be done in detail. Had just one complaint, about the brakes. Once in a while there was a squeaking noise from the rear, whenever the brakes were applied and mostly at lower speeds. Apart from that, informed the SA to get the Ineriors and the Engine compartment cleaned. The following was the break-up provided.

1. Paid service - Rs. 450
2. Engine oil and Oil filter - Rs.1500
3. Diesel Filter - Rs. 1700
4. Check up electricals - Rs. 190
5. Brake pads and Liners - Rs. 660
6. Interior cleaning - Rs. 600

Estimation - Rs.5100/-

Scheduled for delivery at 5 P.M (IST... pun). So, left work around 5:30 and was at the workshop around 5:45. As expected the car was not ready and was yet to be washed. Whiled away the time, going around the garrage, couple of smokes, customer lounge room and finally the car was ready at 7:15 P.M. The SA, guess unintentional, parked the car, in a dark place and couldnt see a thing on what was done. Took inside the workshop and immediately he noticed the engine compartment was not polished. Took another 5 minutes to have that done. The final bill including labour and consumables like, cotton waste (Rs.9.90 uff), came around 6K.

As a mark of good gesture, one of the senior SA's asked me about the experience. Informed him, apart from the delay, everything else was fine. He provided a 10% discount on labour.

Havent had the time to take pics, will post them tomorrow.

Cheers
Avinash
Hi Avinash the reason for not washing the vehicle is that you can have a test drive regarding the work done.

1. How many Kilometers once, does the Engine Oil, Oil Filter and Diesel Filter needs to be replaced?
Air filter needs replacement every 40,000 kms.
Fuel filter every 20,000 kms.
Oil filter every 20,000 kms.

2. The SA mentioned about 'Top-up', engine oil once in 5000 Kms. Is 'Topping-up' recommended?
Engine oil needs to be replaced every 15000 kms. No top up required.

3. How often is it required to do wheel balancing or alignment?

This needs to be checked after vehicle clocks 40,000 kms / whenever there is a puncture and tyre has been replaced.
Alignment is required every 20,000 kms.
Tyre rotation every 5000 kms.

4. Confirmation about using the 'Cruise control'

a. Apply brake first and then press the 'Cruise control' button.

No need of pressing brake.
You can activate it when the RPM is above 2000 .
And the speed is above 50-60 kmph.
It's recommended to activate on top gear i.e 5th gear.

b. Press clutch or brake to deactivate cruise
Is this right?

Yes pressing clutch or brake the control will be in users hands.
And while cruise control has been activated if you want to overtake a trailer or lorry you can press the accelerator pedal to increase speed.
Till 20 seconds it will be in cruise mode.
Depressing will bring the vehicle to user set speed.
'Set +' will increase the speed to 1.5 speed on ODO.

Cotton waste has never been mentioned in my bill till now.

Last edited:
Mukesh has answered all your queries neatly.

In my car, engine oil has been replaced every 15k kms but it has never been topped up. My A.S.S used to charge me for car wash & cotton waste, but now they have stopped that practice.

Rs. 190/- of check up electricals is ridiculous! ask them what do they do in it? i guess they will just externally/visually check whether headlights, indicators & brake lights are working!!! its free in my A.S.S!

Cruise control can be activated above 40 kmph.

Thread Starter #55
Hi Avinash the reason for not washing the vehicle is that you can have a test drive regarding the work done.

1. How many Kilometers once, does the Engine Oil, Oil Filter and Diesel Filter needs to be replaced?
Air filter needs replacement every 40,000 kms.
Fuel filter every 20,000 kms.
Oil filter every 20,000 kms.

2. The SA mentioned about 'Top-up', engine oil once in 5000 Kms. Is 'Topping-up' recommended?
Engine oil needs to be replaced every 15000 kms. No top up required.

3. How often is it required to do wheel balancing or alignment?

This needs to be checked after vehicle clocks 40,000 kms / whenever there is a puncture and tyre has been replaced.
Alignment is required every 20,000 kms.
Tyre rotation every 5000 kms.

4. Confirmation about using the 'Cruise control'

a. Apply brake first and then press the 'Cruise control' button.

No need of pressing brake.
You can activate it when the RPM is above 2000 .
And the speed is above 50-60 kmph.
It's recommended to activate on top gear i.e 5th gear.

b. Press clutch or brake to deactivate cruise
Is this right?

Yes pressing clutch or brake the control will be in users hands.
And while cruise control has been activated if you want to overtake a trailer or lorry you can press the accelerator pedal to increase speed.
Till 20 seconds it will be in cruise mode.
Depressing will bring the vehicle to user set speed.
'Set +' will increase the speed to 1.5 speed on ODO.

Cotton waste has never been mentioned in my bill till now.
Thanks a lot Mukesh, this information is very helpful [thumbsup]. Not sure why I was told to top-up the engine oil by the SA and when I asked him about the 'cotton waste', was told 'Sir, for 10 vehicles its 90 rupees' [frustration]...
-----------Next Post-----------

In my car, engine oil has been replaced every 15k kms but it has never been topped up. My A.S.S used to charge me for car wash & cotton waste, but now they have stopped that practice.

Rs. 190/- of check up electricals is ridiculous! ask them what do they do in it? i guess they will just externally/visually check whether headlights, indicators & brake lights are working!!! its free in my A.S.S!

Thanks again, Raj. I'll keep that in my mind and make sure the oil is replaced once every 15k and top-up is done.

About the electrical thing, yes, you're right. Thats the explanation he gave, to check the lights and other wires.

I tested the Cruise control and its working fine [thumbsup]

Last edited:
Raj i knew that cruise control can be activated above 40 kmph.
But its usually recommended to activate in 5 th Gear, As usually you cannot shift to 5 th gear at 40 kmph.
And even if one activates cruise in 4 th gear, the max speed one an do is 80-100 & after that Rpm reaches above 3000.
And above 80 kmph shifting to 5th is accepted very well.

Hi Avinash, today i left my vehicle for service.
And i insisted interior cleaning, But they have charged me 900/-
And i can't understand why aren't the prices fixed among dealerships of M&M in the same city????

Paid services Charges:1000 /-
OCA brakes Adjust:900/-
Consumables:350/-
Intrerior Cleaning:900/-

This has happened to me with the same dealer itself for my Verna! Once first they charged Rs.900 and next time they charged Rs.750![frustration]

Top Bottom