Luxury Cars within Rs.10 - 18 Lakh?

Thread Starter #1
I am planning to buy a car with an ex-showroom price tag within 10-18 Lakh in Pune. Tried extending the budget till 20 Lakh to buy my all time favorite Accord but just couldn't [cry]. I have owned till now a Maruti Suzuki 800, Maruti Suzuki Zen VXi (2nd Gen) , Hyundai Accent GLE and then the Maruti Suzuki SX4 VXi it'll be completing it's 4th year this Feb 29th . In between I had thought of buying the Fluidic Verna but luckily i was able to extend my budget and therefore that idea was scraped [:D].

So my main demands are. Importance wise :-

1.Decent Mileage 11 kmpl
2. 6 Six-airbags traveling 8 hours a day on at least 2 days a week becomes hectic and the drive while returning becomes fatigued.
3.Value for money. Can be aftermarket Must haves :_
a) Decent ICE with Blluetooth Handsfree , Touchscreen.
b) Keyless Entry like the one in Chevy Cruze .
c) Cruise Control . I travel every week two times to Mumbai.
d) Rear Parking Assist with Camera.
4.Quick and responsive engine (Powerful as well) must be Diesel.

Cars shortlisted as per the first requirement :-
1. Chevrolet Cruise.
2. Honda Civic.
2. Toyota Corolla Altis.
3. Skoda Laura.
4. Hyundai Sonata Transform (i have heard there are new fluidic versions of sonata and elantra coming up if its true then please comment.).
5. Maruti Suzuki Kizashi.
6. Tata Aria.
7. Volkswagen Jetta.

Guys help me out fast because I want my new car to be in home within 29th Feb .
If you advice some car lacking the demands please add in some details of the aftermarket parts as well.

Thank you and Happy New Year guys.

Re: Cars within 10-18 Lakh?

Out of the cars mentioned above, I would pick the Jetta (19 lakhs on road) or Cruze (16 lakhs on road). Infact, I love the way the Cruze looks. In the Jetta, you wont get Automatic Climate Control, thats a serious omission in a 19 lakh car. But the build quality & ride of the Jetta is flawless. It looks too much like it's younger sibling - Vento.

But since you travel so much, why not go for the XUV5OO? I feel travelling in a SUV (crossover) would be far more comfortable than in a low slung sedan. You have the advantage of the extra legroom as well as seating position. It has all the features you have mentioned above, plus more. Yes, some teething issues have cropped up in some new XUVs like tyre pressure sensor error, left door hard to close, etc. but Mahindra is doing well to sort the issues.

Have a look at TATA Aria too. It has a better ride quality than the XUV & on highways, it is a great cruiser. It does not have a touch screen though. Personally, I would avoid the Aria as I have read & seen some alarming issues in the car. But if you are comfortable with TATA's ASC, its worth a look.

Keyless entry & go - Only the cruze & Altis has it.

go for cruze. and yes sonata new version coming up but sonata never succeeded to capture the market.

the cruze is definitely a superior car, but maybe u can check out the fiat Linea which may satisfy some of your demands .

no dude... with a budget of 18 lakh why to go for a mid segment car. far better options are available thn linea.

Thread Starter #6
Out of the cars mentioned above, I would pick the Jetta (19 lakhs on road) or Cruze (16 lakhs on road). Infact, I love the way the Cruze looks. In the Jetta, you wont get Automatic Climate Control, thats a serious omission in a 19 lakh car. But the build quality & ride of the Jetta is flawless. It looks too much like it's younger sibling - Vento.

But since you travel so much, why not go for the XUV5OO? I feel travelling in a SUV (crossover) would be far more comfortable than in a low slung sedan. You have the advantage of the extra legroom as well as seating position. It has all the features you have mentioned above, plus more. Yes, some teething issues have cropped up in some new XUVs like tyre pressure sensor error, left door hard to close, etc. but Mahindra is doing well to sort the issues.

Have a look at TATA Aria too. It has a better ride quality than the XUV & on highways, it is a great cruiser. It does not have a touch screen though. Personally, I would avoid the Aria as I have read & seen some alarming issues in the car. But if you are comfortable with TATA's ASC, its worth a look.

Keyless entry & go - Only the cruze & Altis has it.
Thanks Raj i had my eyes on and was quite interested to buy the XUV500 when my budget had been around 11 Lakh and likewise in case of the Tata Aria why would I pay an extra 5-6 Lakh which I'll be getting in the much cheaper XUV500. I have the money doesn't mean that'll I just spend it.
Preferably I would buy a car which has all the features of 11 Lakh car and the extra money for efficiency, safety and comfort and also for a few onlookers :P. Cruze strict no forme with only 2 Air-bags.

The new Hyundai Sonata/i45 seems to be attracting package but I'm just waiting for the pricing , I guess Hyundai will increase the price of this car with that big body , engine and list of features . [clap]

Remember one thing, Don't even think of TATA. Just Forget it! I would go with Jetta.
XUV 500 would be great buy. Hyundai Sonata worth waiting for! :)

Well i think you are confused! If you don't want Cruze as it has 2 airbags then why did you mention it here?

Again rule out Civic and Kizashi because they are not available in diesel. I don't think any of the other cars in that list have keyless entry.

Rule out new Sonata and Elantra , they won't be in your home before 29th Feb.

I think a Jetta is well suited for you. It has all the safety features you need , it misses the reverse camera and bluetooth which you like though. Laura is also an equally good car but power is less compared to new Jetta.

@ Paigirish Can you justify your above statement of why no TATA?

Well even the XUV wudnt come before 29th Feb for that matter , so ur 'real' options are Jetta, Aria.

I would probably throw in the Yeti too to add to the confusion. Its feature loaded diesel - well built and efficient too, looks are a matter of individual choice.

Please don’t fall to the fake promises of TATA Motors. Their products are economical but not worth the buy. Most of the recent vehicles(Vista, Manza, Aria, Merlin, etc..) launched by Tata have had dramatic quality improvements, but the Tata brand-recall in the minds of public is that of a VFM/Taxi manufacturer. This is pretty much the reason for their recent dismal/declining sales figures.I've heard loads of -ve comments of TATA motors

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #11
Guys Sorry for being inactive for such a long time. I didn't find yet the best car to suit me. But I've increased my budget buy another 2 Lakh . So yes my budget is 20 Lakhs
Revised Criteria:-
1. Diesel Engine. Mileage 10 KMPL. Decent 160+ bhp.
2. Safety matters a lot. So Airbags, ABS must. Would be better if it had 6 Airbags .
3. Automatic Gearbox .Would love the DSG Dual Clutch.
4. Preferably SUV. Cause I had gone on a trip Delhi-Mathura-Vrindavan-Agra-Manali-Shimla-Amritsar-Delhi. The first part from Delhi to Agra was super-comfortable in a hired Toyota Innova . But sadly our car's clutch plate and therefore another car had to be callled from Delhi , it was a Toyota Corolla although its a premium car it didnt really give that same level of comfort.
5. Well if its an SUV it must have less body roll . I guess cars with more body roll(High Centre of Gravity) tend to be more accident prone.

So Corolla Altis , Civic , Cruze, Laura, Jetta , XUV500 , Aria and the others have been ruled out.
So the big boys step in, and they are :-
1. VW Passat Trendline (cause it meets all the needs except the SUV comfort), So if suggesting the Passat please give a review on its comfort as well. Guys I Just love its headlights please comment upon it also if we can get it separately factory fitted even though the Trendline doesnt have it.
2. Hyundai Sonata, as the company said it will be giving a mileage of 14 Kmpl , then the diesel factor can be omitted. It meets all the needs except the SUV comfort, So if suggesting the Passat please give a review on its comfort as well, although its too early but comment on it as soon has someone been able to have hands-on. Launch Date is 7th March i guess?

3. Toyota Fortuner 4x2 AT, All factors met except the safety and bodyroll. The bodyroll being high the car has chance of toppling over right? So in that case there arent any side airbags. Are side airbags deployed in case of rolling over. And heard the brakes are worst . is it so even in the new one?True enough that it has a waiting period of 6-8 months??

4. Ford Endeavour 4x4 AT, Aaaaahh its the one i have always dreamt of myself driving in. Meets all the requirements. Heard mileage creates a hindrance heard it gives something around 6-7 KMPL and ride quality is pretty bad?

5. Chevrolet Captiva LTZ hmmm meets almost all the requirements but boring equipment and interiors .
Now the ones that have been ruled out :-
1. Honda Accord (no diesel, gas guzzler, outdated) Ruled out
2. Honda CRV (no diesel, gas guzzler,costly)
3. Skoda Superb(would love to own one but the diesel out of budget)
4. Mitsubishi Pajero SFX truly outdated , Pajero sPort will be a CBU so uncompetive pricing for sure.
5. Hyundai Santa fe (costly)
6. BMW X1 (again costly, no diesel, SUV you call it what a joke BMW??)
7. Toyota Camry (costly , looks like an elephant). The one at the auto-expo looked more masculine. Will it still remain as CBU??

So thats all my friends, please give your comments.
Thank you,
Daipayan.
Good Night

Going by your requirement, you need an M1A2 Abram or a T90.
Should meet all your safety requirements. Comfort requirements can be customised with after market fittings.

Now coming to practical cars, there is nothing which can be termed as a perfect car.

All safety features are useful only on safe speeds.

Curtain airbags in the cars mentioned in the list given by you cannot provide protection in case of a roll over.

Do TD on the cars shortlisted by you and I am sure you can can fine tune your selection and arrive on a right decision with the help of a healthy discussion here to clear all your query and doubts.

Last edited:
Thats true buddy you need to do few TD as mentioned by autosafari. Only then you will come to know the real deal.

It is good to take advise but then it won't help you 100%. Because some people might like Fortuner some might like Endy. So first you need to take atleast 2-3 TD's buddy and then you can take advise and discuss the same with people.

This will make your life easy buddy.

Guys any news as to when is the new Chevy Captiva launching?
No news yet.

But the best SUV to buy within 20 lakh at the moment has to be XUV500,but since its booking has closed the second best buy would be TATA Aria.It has amazing set of features which none under 20 lakh have got:

1. 6 airbags,

2.4 discs,

3. GPS,

4. ESP,

5, Traction control,

6. cruise control,

7. good boot space with 7 seats up and what not.

Fortuner and santa fe are very expensive and not vfm.

So either wait for XUV500 or go and test drive Aria and take your call.Best of luck on whatever you decide.

Top Bottom