Low Mileage Problems in Maruti 800

ilango[speed thirst];25223 said:
A fault starting from the petrol tank till the engine part cause petrol smell.

chances of worn out rubber tubes too cause petrol leak/smell and inturn reduce your milage.

check the float and needle and gasket of your carburattor . Even check the gasket of head.

Carburrator gasket cost 40/-
Head gasket cost 110/-
+ 1.

Just a modest opinion from me for the smell of petrol in the cabin was if it was the result of a faulty carburettor?
Could be...Even that could be a reason for the less mileage.

But if its from the carb you should get the smell every time you accelerate/brake.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #32
Actually the smell comes usually when I slowed down while in a higher gear.I'll illustrate with an example:

While moving at 45 kmph in 3rd or 4th gear if I spot a speed breaker or signal 200-300m ahead, I just lift my foot off the gas pedal and allow the car to gradually slow down till it comes to about 15-20kmph.Only then, I apply brakes to halt the car or slow down as the situation demands.

It is during this slowing down that I get a smell of petrol in the vehicle[confused].I feel this technique is pretty fuel efficient instead of racing full throttle to the next halt and then killing the entire momentum of the car by braking hard.

So looking at your description , there is minor fault with carb.
The carb gasket is with very minimum defect(replacing is the only option though)

As when you are travelling the fuel is supplied , when you take the foot off the throttle , there is some petrol build in carb , that must be leaking.

Chances of same , if there is slightest leak in fuel lines too.

Open the bonet , start the engine , run for sum time in idle.

Stop and try to find were the smell comes more,

The carb is present below the airfilter in 800.

M800 Carb giving very less mileage

Hi All,

My Dad's M800 has recently started giving a mileage of around 11 in city conditions. Have shown it to many mechanics but all of them do some tweaking and say now it will increase but till now nothing. BTW its a 2003 model. It also has some Fuel smell problem from day one it was purchased which was never rectified by anyone even at MASS.

Request you to suggest on some tips as my Dad does not want to sell it off.

Re: M800 Carb giving very less mileage

my 800 had a fuel smell problem when driving with windows open.. started in may and mileage decreased.
only after repeated visits to MASS one very good SA observed minute leak the Fuel hose. so he suggested replacing the entire hose system 3 hoses. ~5k with labor and other odd jobs. and everything ok. and i got the original FE (28kmpl)

350Z

Core Team
Re: Mileage problems in Maruti 800

Your thread has been now merged. Please refer to previous posts here. Hope they will be useful.

Drive Safe,
350Z

sudden fall in mileage ?????

Hi
my car maruti 800 was giving constant average of 15 km/l.
But this time after service mileage has fallen to 12 .[surprise]
what could be the problem [cry]

Re: My New Chevrolet Enjoy

Hi Varun,

I am sridhar from Hyderabad. I was purchase a Maruti 800 ac 2008 model car. Can you give me a suggestion to increase the mileage and precautions to take care? Please provide your contact no.

Last edited by a moderator:
help! low mileage less than 10kmpl maruti 800 japani model. carburetor serviced, engine flushed, oil changed, air filter changed but it still gulping like fortuner. thanx

help! low mileage less than 10kmpl maruti 800 japani model. carburetor serviced, engine flushed, oil changed, air filter changed but it still gulping like fortuner. thanx
Check all the fuel lines for any leakage. Change all the rubber fuel lines. Also change the fuel filter and get the spark plugs cleaned.

6 km/lt is totally unacceptable in SX4 even (saying this since it is a big car and expected to have lesser mileage than a small car).

If you had been a too bad driver, how were you getting 12 km/lt earlier? Hence, 6 km/lt cannot be attributed to your driving habit.

Few things to check - My Alto milage got shooted up by 5 km/lt after these. Get these done from some other MASS necessarily the MASS haning good word of mouth in your locality since the MASS you went to didn't work for you.
1. Change the clutch
2. Change tyres and have tubeless tyres
3. No need for Alloy Wheels (they are too costly to establish the corressponding better mileage - that's what I think)
4. Have fresh engine oil, coolant, timing belt - you already have them
5. Engine overhaul - I didn't do it but may be good for you since your car is old

Last but not the least, if these don't solve your problem go to some other MASS necessarily the MASS haning good word of mouth in your locality, check for the reason.

If nothing works, I think it's time to sell off your beloved one since it's better to drive Honda City with better milage than an old M800. [;)]

Last edited:
i did clean spark plugs. but i found they gets black so quick and car blows unburned fuel out of the air filter hose pipe.

Last edited:

Top Bottom