Low Mileage Problems in Maruti 800

Don't think so since a malfunctioning pump should not pumo extra fluid. Have a engine overhaul done which will make sure that pistons really tighten the engine cylinders.
but my mechanic is not suggesting to overhaul he is the main in maruti Suzuki's service garage.

@bhatnagar - There is a place near bolinj (virar west) while coming from nalasopara , while nearing the bolinj junction on the left side there is a mech shop mechanic name is santosh he is ITI wala mech , you can go there and check your car.
Check following things
1. Change all fuel hose pipes
2. Take the petrol tank out and check for leakage on the fuel gauge float gasket
3. check fuel filter and lines running from tank
4. check fuel pump by fingers and check if the fuel pump gasket is leaking
5. check carburettor , small jet and settings
6. ignition system timing
* if every thing of these is ruled out , check if the waterpump pulley is freely moving by removing the belt

it is difficult to suggest so many things without experiencing the car the mechanic above mentioned is good at his job
My 98 800 gives 15 to 17km and i use it in and around virar with occational trips to mumbai and daman it is a good car and needs very less as maintanence. in the past i used my fathers 800 which has done 1.4 lacs km till i sold it

but my mechanic is not suggesting to overhaul he is the main in maruti Suzuki's service garage.
May be true. But, I don't believe much in those mechanics. Once, my Alto was not increasing its speed beyond 80 km/hr. I could hear engine noise increasing by pressing the accelerator pedal more and more beyond 80 km/hr. MASS guys hypothecated that the problem is non-existent since it was not possible to reach 80 km/hr and then try to increase the speed more in the locality where the ASS was located. They checked everything and adjusted clutches but no improvement. As usual, they charged for whatever they did!!! Also, I found a 3 km/lt sudden drop in mileage after the said problem occurred.

One day, I went to the ASS and asked to change the cluth plates. MASS guys said clutch seems to be okay and requires no change. I said that's fine but I am going to pay for new clutch and hence they need not worry, I'm planning to waste my money. After the clutch plates were changed, the problem disappeared. So, don't believe them blindly but ask for opinion from other ASS.

I didn't ask from any other ASS since I was damn sure that the clutch plate required replacement and even if after that the problem haad been persistent I would have gone to some other ASS.

BTW, I got my car checked and test driven by seniormost SA, Works Manger to confirm the root-cause of the problem was damged clutches but they couldn't. Then I got the clutches changed forcefully, and that worked. It was one of the best service centres (and dealers) in Chennai (ABT Maruti, Guindy just beside Wipro).

Dear,
The Mechanics if uneducated may be of questionable quality, but an Diploma trained person with hands on of over 30 years is not as bad as you think,

The vehicles like 800 and Alto are far too simple (ignition distributor type) and any person with good knowledge and passion for mechanicals can do it himself.

Alto clutch are usually designed for 30 to 40 thousand KM any thing beyond that is bonus and may not be as smooth to drive. however depending upon driving the clutch may go as soon as 2500km also. i change my clutch myself as a diy with the help of an three wheeler helper assistant. this is not to save money but my passion for doing so.

in chennai there are a lot of good mechanics around mambalam and ashok nagar . i used service my wagon r with them when i was in chennai. the mech in chennai are knowledgable and dent paint is of very good quality. but only thing is that you should be knowing things and know how to get good work done.

i have never gone to any mass beyond the free service, even for motorcycle i dont go to Authorised one but i always use genuine spares like bearings and engine parts and for rubber parts i use MGP only.

Dear,
The Mechanics if uneducated may be of questionable quality, but an Diploma trained person with hands on of over 30 years is not as bad as you think,
Should be true! But don't know why I had to bleed for the clutch issue in my Alto.

Actually, now-a-days passion component is missing from every worker in each and every sector. My experience:
1. IT: When I was a newbie in IT sector, I never had an idea that an IT professional can say "No" simply by looking at watch and walk away. Today newbie guys does so even though they know that they are having less efficiency which is the root-cause of their failure to meet deadlines!
2. Car Salesman: Ask any salesman to compare against similar segement similar price vehicle across auto-makers. That's an impossible question to crack by them. At least true for Maruti, Tata, Chevy, Toyota, Ford. No idea about BMW, Merc since I have never talked to any salesman of those premium car manufacturers. Leave alone, ask them very minute details like Fixed Geometry or Variable Geometry turbo is given in any particular car (s)he is selling, they are clueless! Okay, okay, I asked very tough question. Ask them the difference between features of different variants of same model, many time they will route you towards brochure.
3. Mobile Shop: Till 3 yrs ago, I have seen salespeople to explain all features, specs of any mobile you want to buy. Also, they used to know everything about how to operate the device. Today I see none.
4. Same story across, may be because too many jobs to offer too less people which has become skill deterioration in India since anyone can negotiate to get a better job at any time.

Last edited:
Long time back, I asked a sales person at a dealership what is turbo charger and what is its advantage.
he confidently told me, fuel is charged at high pressure and it gives more power!!!!
and they easily get away with it because no one is to question them. Most of the customers dont know about it.

Dear Friends,
i have Maruti 800, 92 model. Last year got suspension, engine overhaul done.
i got a second hand carburetor and then got good mileage about 14 in city and 19 on highway max .
now again my mileage has dropped, got it cleaned still its the same.
my question is should i buy a brand new carburetor is it worth it? Its about 5.7k....
any inputs will be appreciated. Thanks.

I'm getting a very low milage from my Maruti800(Type1 1994).

Initially i was getting about 12kmpl but lately it has gone down to 6kmpl. i just had an oil change done and carbeurator cleaned but mileage problem persists.

I visited MASS & got the Engine, Carb tuned up. Added new suspension so ride is a lot more smoother now.
Fuel line has no leaks, neither its my driving style.

Still i am finding hard to cross 10kmpl .

Now I am not using Ac since 6 months.(I don't need it)

If I remove the compressor belt(patta).. will there be any chance of getting better mileage??
Please help
Please check if your air filter is clogged. Clean or replace as per condition. Carburettor cleaning and maintaining tyre pressure also affect milage

Top Bottom