Low Budget Used Diesel Car (Bought Used Maruti 800)

Thread Starter #1
Background:
I have a NHC for my office commute (at Chennai) and my brother, Civic (at Coimbatore) I am getting married by next August and looking for a used budget diesel car to be used till my marriage (for invitation, shopping, blahblahblah) by my parents / relatives / friends.
This car will be mostly Chauffer driven

Requirements:
-Hatch / Sedan (no SUV / MUV)
-FE: 15kmpl (average)
-Budget: 1.5~2 lakhs (not more than that)
-Resale value: should not leave a deep hole in my pocket

Choice:
-Lancer: Top in the list but difficult to fit within the budget
-Ikon 1.8D: maintenance? Ikon 1.8 owners, please comment
-Accent: Seem to be perfect choice (no?)
-Indica: Falls well within my requirements, but hard to find a decent specimen. Most of the cases are abused.
-Palio 1.9: again the question of maintenance
-Uno: I don't have any idea, travelled twice or thrice, never driven.
-Amby: FE???

Use it / Sell it decision after marriage depends on the condition & keep-up cost of the car.

Please suggest me the best choice and is there any known source selling any of these cars in Chennai / Coimbatore?

Re: Low budget used Diesel Car - Suggestions required

Indica.

since used car have some problem in disguise , and during this time , i hope repairing must be less than a day work.
Indica suits it perfectly.

hard to find one is true. even a slightly abused ones are rare to find here.

anyhow a customer of my mechanic is selling his dicor indica to buy a new car. they bought it second hand some months back , replaced tyres / injectors / clutch/brakes shoes and pads.
they are quoting 2.30L 08 model.

Thread Starter #3

ilango[speed thirst];121659 said:
quoting 2.30L 08 model.
Thanks ilango. Please PM me the details of the car.

Even I'm inclined towards Indica for this budget, but again the desire towards a Sedan always stick hard.

In your budget you can get very good indica but be sure that it,s not used as a cab.

Thread Starter #5

In your budget you can get very good indica but be sure that it,s not used as a cab.
That is the pain now. Own used and well maintained Indicas are difficult to find in the market. 9/10 from dealers are well abused / T-board

Re: Low Budget Used Diesel Car - Suggestions Required

Lancer in my budget is a tough find [cry]. Accent DLS, yes.
Thanks for the comment.
Check for the Hyundai Accent CRDi I sold it for 200K in july11 to upgrade my ride.
Make 2003
Second Owner after crossing 200k on odo.

Thread Starter #9

Check for the Hyundai Accent CRDi
Thanks for the suggestion powerpacked.
After reading many horrible stories regarding Accent CRDi I kept it aside. Even I knew a few examples crossed 150k km without major problems.
Though DLS is not peppy like CRDi but FE and maintenance are better (please correct me if I'm wrong)

I'm not against CRDi, if I find a good specimen within my budget I'll go for it. Can you please comment on the maintenance part?

Accent crdi[frustration]

No one buy them in 2nd hand.

A totally worth less car.

See holysatan's thread and his BIG bill on getting a crdi accent!

THe only best thing is its pick up.

The figo , with a spider tuning box didnt match stock accent crdi - but at a huge cost.

In your budget it is better to consider a petrol car. A diesel car in that budget will require a lot of maintenance. So imo, better go for a Petrol sedan which you will get in your budget.

Thread Starter #12

In your budget it is better to consider a petrol car. A diesel car in that budget will require a lot of maintenance.
Petrol again??? No dear!!
If I could get a well maintained diesel car I intend to keep that as my daily commute vehicle or else use till marriage and sell it.

I agree with your point regarding the limited budget, but I'm not in a hurry now, I have got enough time for hunt this time.

Through my friend I got an offer for 2002 Ikon 1.8D with 78k on odo, second owner, Chennai registered. Appearance is average with scratches on bumper and doors. Got art leather seat covers and tyre condition is average (may last for next 10k km) Engine is bit noisy and clutch is slightly hard (compared to my City) Insurance available for next 5 months.
Owner is quoting 1.75 lakhs. What say guys? Sorry, no snaps.

350Z

Core Team

Tata Indica / Indigo Diesel seems to be an ideal choice under this budget and requirements. You can also find Santro / Accent CNG or Wagon-R LPG in a fairly decent condition. And please prefer to avoid the used cars with a couple of owners already in record and clocked more than 50,000 Kms regardless of whatever the budget is unless you are familiar with the previous owner(s). Such vehicles are more or less expected to be abused or thoroughly used which ultimately may end up you spending all for the major chunk on maintenance.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #14

^^^
Wagon-R is out of the box since we already have one. Accent CNG is again out of list as we don't have CNG in TN, Santro seem to be 'OK' choice if I could get one with LPG kit.

I personally can tell you that the Accent CRDi is pocket friendly car in terms of maintenance.
But please check the complete history of the car provided the CRDi is maintained at Hyundai ASS.
If maintained at private, local garage then please stay away from it.
Though they say that Hyundai diesel is costly on maintenance but my experience is different.

In your case Icon 1.8D try to find maintenance history at Ford ASS if not then stay away.

Private Indica is good choice its very cheap on maintenance read Appu’s thread.

Top Bottom