Loud Music While Driving

I usually hate loud music. They take your concentration away from the road. I always play soft music.

And I usually don't drive at night. Short distances - yes. But 10 + kms - no!

I like music in mediom volumes in my car partly because the plastic cover rattles if I increase the volume. Eearliear we had a sumo which had speakers fitted in a earthen ware pot with a fantastic boom sound. It did not affect the way we drove :)

Since I keep on experimenting new things and the new observation I have made is:

While on long night drives,playing music a bit loud is really beneficial and low volume music seems to be dangerous.Maybe because if the music is played at a relaxing volume then you tend to feel sleepy quicker. And if your fury needle is hovering around 150-160 then everyone knows what is the result of even feeling sleepy behind the wheel.
And hence now I have changed one rule of mine, during early hours (2-4 am) I play music a bit loud and increase my speed too by up to 10-20 kph(generally I drive at 130-140 max) and this helps me two ways:
  • Loud music doesn't let me sleep.
  • Due to higher level of concentration at the speed, I myself is unable to sleep.

Honestly i love my music to be loud but yes it won't offend the person in next car (not that loud) used to do that when i was back in India (college days[;)]).

But now i play it loud (when i am by myself) but not insanely loud and keep the volume moderate when i have other people riding with me.

And yes it's really true and works for me though: Loud music does keep you awake comparing to slower music on long drives, night driving.

Last edited:
Honestly i love my music to be loud but yes it won't offend the person in next car (not that loud) used to do that when i was back in India (college days[;)]).

But now i play it loud (when i am by myself) but not insanely loud and keep the volume moderate when i have other people riding with me.

And yes it's really true and works for me though: Loud music does keep you awake comparing to slower music on long drives, night driving.
the type of music also plays a major rule in this. Loud Rock songs can wake up anyone! :tongue:

Loud music spoils the driving pleasure if you ask me. Two things. One as earlier said, it create problems for others, we will not hear the honks of nearing vehicles or might be blocking ambulance or police vehicle.

2nd thing which is concerned to me is, head ache. I will get it instantly when there is a loud music. Especially if the car has that small speaker kind of thing for more chillness [Twitter]

I generally hate those. And more over if am alone always I will be playing Ilayaraja's song which you have to listen in low sound. You will enjoy the ride.

People spend lot of money on good music systems. I have seen many people replacing their stack music system with the new one, even though the stack music system is not that bad. Obviously they will listen with loud noise, they feel they deserve it. [:)]

I do like to listen to soft music while I am driving but not very loud !

would like to second rightnows thoughts. I listen to Death metal/Metal of any types and normally the volume is not really at par with rest of the commuters ears. But I do make it a point that I do not play loud music when there is bumper to bumper traffic of if its a really crowded place because I would really love to hear other cars horns as well and respect those people too. But sometimes, when the my head is too filled with numbers(accountant), I really dont mind blaring up the speakers.

I like bass, but i do not play it very loud to cause nuisance to others and me. But i have noticed that it does irritate a few drivers at signals though the volume in my car is not very high. The only way I can make out is they pull up there windows! [lol]

Loud music spoils the driving pleasure if you ask me. Two things. One as earlier said, it create problems for others, we will not hear the honks of nearing vehicles or might be blocking ambulance or police vehicle.

2nd thing which is concerned to me is, head ache. I will get it instantly when there is a loud music. Especially if the car has that small speaker kind of thing for more chillness [Twitter]

I generally hate those. And more over if am alone always I will be playing Ilayaraja's song which you have to listen in low sound. You will enjoy the ride.
that is totally ones preference. I can't drive without music in my car. For headache part, I might be alone saying this, but, whenever i have a headache, i take out my ride for a spin with trance playing. [:D]

People spend lot of money on good music systems. I have seen many people replacing their stack music system with the new one, even though the stack music system is not that bad. Obviously they will listen with loud noise, they feel they deserve it.
People spend money to get a better sounding system and not necessarily a loud sounding one. With better components you get crystal clear vocals. Sub-woofer, for most of people is just a boom boom device. whereas, it is a very necessary component in car audio to complete the music spectrum as it is the only driver capable of playing low frequencies. Just try listening to a Jagjit singh gazal with and without a sub, you'll understand what I mean. [:)]

Honestly i love my music to be loud but yes it won't offend the person in next car (not that loud) used to do that when i was back in India (college days).

DITTO for me buddy. When alone I usually play Trance, POP, Punjabi Beats and yes, on moderately higher volumes. When with wifey, anything goes but at lower volumes. [cry]

freakdude.

I really love loud music and that good woofer and bass effects. I hear to loud music when

I am alone in my car, all windows closed, on a empty road or highway, but I have a habit of looking into the OVRMs continuously not relating to the music whether it is light or loud !!

Yes, Like Vipul, to beat the sleep I keep it in a louder way it really helps.

It also depends on what kind of music !!

Personally I am really mad of that higher woofer and bass effects like theater sound !! but I never disturb when more people are there in my car and others on the road.

High volume, lot of deep punch by sub, and ur pen drive loaded with punchy numbers. Sometimes in heavy traffic, i do lower the volume but mostly loud enough to pamper me but not disturb others. Couple of times, slightly loud volume to which nearby commuters would either start singing or comment..nice song[clap]. I have both ORVMs giving me clear view of rear traffic so no prob for Amb or police veh. Secondly, my rear view camera display screen is always active giving me details of traffic following through out my drive[drive] No hassels, pump up the BASS!

Top Bottom